DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    deep staging question
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

deep staging question
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
quote:
If the DEEP racer goes in first, flipping the switch to autostart will create the consistency of a dual shallow stage start.

Amen! I'm all for it.

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

Posts: 5764 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I see that some racers do not know how the tree works.
It's a math problem so I'm guessing that's difficult for some.1

One way to eliminate deep staging is to have a .600 to green from last yellow. Just add a"D" to your dial in. It would look like a normal race to the clueless racers that think deep stagers are cheating. All four lights would have to be on after three were lit.

The Compulink guy didn't care years ago, so he probably won't care now.
I think I came up with a great idea but fell on deaf ears.

If you don't know what I proposed, you are the clueless one!

Cool

Posts: 622 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
This is the Div 7 ET Finals rule for deep staging. I'm sure our track follows it also.

Pretty simple rule:

"• Deep staging allowed; however DEEP may not be written on vehicle. Starter will activate AutoStart system when both cars
have pre-staged."

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2699 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
This is the Div 7 ET Finals rule for deep staging. I'm sure our track follows it also.

Pretty simple rule:

"• Deep staging allowed; however DEEP may not be written on vehicle. Starter will activate AutoStart system when both cars
have pre-staged."

2BKING
Relaxing

I think that goes right along with what several have said here. If a racer is going in deep it is on him and not for the Track and other Racer to change up.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4191 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I think this discussion took a wrong turn and became all about the timing system when deep staging. After reading all of this it looks like the problem isn't the timing system. It seems the car with deep on it knows how to play the game and get an opponent timed out if the opponent waits to stage last not realizing the autostart will time them out.

Posts: 1527 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pretty simple rule:

have pre-staged."

And the pretty simple unintended consequences of this is either:
1) a race to the starting line when an unsportsmanlike regular stager wants to screw the deep stager or
2) a pre-stage battle ensues, as the only real chance the deep stager has against an unsportsmanlike regular stager is to make them pre-stage first, and then do "the Jersey slide".

Also, how is the deep stager supposed to take a bye run?

Does anyone making these rules actually have any experience driving a car?

__

Posts: 5764 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Glad you mentioned the Jersey Slide---when you know -- you know. Its either them or you.

Posts: 6247 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Beard:
quote:
Pretty simple rule:

have pre-staged."

1) a race to the starting line when an unsportsmanlike regular stager wants to screw the deep stager or
2) a pre-stage battle ensues, as the only real chance the deep stager has against an unsportsmanlike regular stager is to make them pre-stage first, and then do "the Jersey slide".

Do not shoot the messenger! I only posted what Div. 7 bracket finals rules are for deep staging is & what I think my track follows.

1) How do I know if I'm screwing a deep stager with un-sportsman like conduct. We don't have courtesy staging; I don't pi$$ around when staging, doesn't mean I'm trying to screw the deep stager.

2) The majority, including me has no pre-stage battle.

You or others might not like a bye run but you chose to do it, for whatever reason(s). I have no problem with it.

The rules are whatever they're, you need to adapt to them or try & change them!

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2699 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Pretty simple rule:

have pre-staged."

Maybe deep-stagers ought to learn how to make their program work with autostart, JUST LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE

Mike

Posts: 1589 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SlyFox:
No, it most definitely IS true. Auto-start treats both lanes exactly the same. If it takes the deep stager too long to get himself/herself where they want to be, that's on them.

Try to get Deep on a bye run with AutoStart on and let me know how that works out for you.

I can. With plenty of time to spare. See my earlier reply Michael. I roll through and take the top light out and back up slightly to light the pre. I am as deep as possible before the shallow stager is pre staged.

One bump and boom. I am deep staged. No BS, no waiting and the shallow stager has most of the autostart time to get in.

If he doesn't, then it is his fault.

Sadly, this was still too much for many racers to handle. If it wasn't, I would still be deep staging when I run pro.

Posts: 1582 | Location: PA | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can. With plenty of time to spare. See my earlier reply Michael. I roll through and take the top light out and back up slightly to light the pre.

If AutoStart was active on a bye run, the tree would've fired as soon as you rolled through, as the Stage would've been lit for more than the .6 Staged Minimum time. If it didn't, then the starter held the tree for you.

__

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
Do not shoot the messenger! I only posted what Div. 7 bracket finals rules are for deep staging is & what I think my track follows.

1) How do I know if I'm screwing a deep stager with un-sportsman like conduct. We don't have courtesy staging; I don't pi$$ around when staging, doesn't mean I'm trying to screw the deep stager.

2) The majority, including me has no pre-stage battle.

I'm not shooting the messenger, I have no problem with you, and I didn't accuse you personally of trying to take advantage of particular situations. We were just discussing the rules. Other racers do and have. Again, the examples I gave have literally happened over the years. Deep was outlawed in Stock Eliminator years ago after incidents where shallow stagers would just about run over the starter trying to mop something up just so they could stage first and give the Deep stager no chance to get in.

I don't mess around going Deep, and have handled it a couple different ways, either stopping before the pre-stage, setting my launch rpm, and then sliding straight to Deep, or alternatively, putting on two bulbs plus a chunk right away, and then setting my launch rpm as soon as my opponent pre-stages. A couple bumps and I'm in. In the latter scenario, I've STILL had no-box guy just CHUNK it in just to try to get in first. Luckily, it's been at tracks that honor Deep.

Also luckily, I've been able to get the transbrake set up in the car this year, and have found a TENTH in vehicle reaction time (for people who can't seem to figure out why anyone would ever need to go deep) Roll Eyes and can go shallow off the button. Footbraking the combination shallow is virtually impossible.

quote:
You or others might not like a bye run but you chose to do it, for whatever reason(s).

What?

quote:
The rules are whatever they're, you need to adapt to them or try & change them!

Most places that allow deep staging, honor deep staging, and it's not a problem, and hasn't been for decades. I'm not trying to change any rules. I'm just explaining how and why things are done they way they are at tracks and in regions where the rules honor it.

__

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I can. With plenty of time to spare. See my earlier reply Michael. I roll through and take the top light out and back up slightly to light the pre.

If AutoStart was active on a bye run, the tree would've fired as soon as you rolled through, as the Stage would've been lit for more than the .6 Staged Minimum time. If it didn't, then the starter held the tree for you.

I am not talking by run. I made many a bye run over the years too and never had the tree drop on me once doing it that way. I guess the starter was holding the tree.

The tree would not have fired with me rolling through and backing up to light the stage, unless the other guy rushed to the line to hang me out and double bulbed me.

At best there would be 3 bulbs lit and I make a bump and am in. Many times I was staged ready to make the slight bump before the other guy even pre staged.

Never had a problem unless someone was a **** and double bulbed me. It did happen a few times.

The other scenario is that the other guy doesn't even light the pre stage, again, being a **** and just sets there.

I always tried to be fair to other racers but some guys find it hard to race that way it seems.

Posts: 1582 | Location: PA | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
Yes. All of those things are exactly the things that I brought up in my prior post.

__