DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Big changes coming to a drag strip near you!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big changes coming to a drag strip near you!
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted
Might as well get ready, it's coming ready or not. GM has just transferred a bunch of their corvette engineers, their best, to electric development.

Who needs a forged rotating assembly when all you need is a bigger armature.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Near me ? I doubt it. Big Grin Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Tom, I agree, doubtful

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Near me ? I doubt it.

You know your situation regarding drag racing (for now). But my bigger point is electric passenger cars are coming enforce. You won't be exempt from that. No more need for auto stop/start or 8-to-4 fuel management.

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
My problem with the electric cars when it comes to bracket racing is that you can control so much of the variability. As programmers become better, you will be able to dial the car and have no doubt that it will run it. Where is the fun in that? The challenge?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
It will be decades before electric cars account for 10% of the cars in the lanes at bracket races and that’s IF what we do survives. I’ll be long gone along with many here.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Scary though to consider. You look over in the other lane and see AOC in her 1400hp electric Mustang. I'm not positive which is more scary but my money is on that horse faced moron.

Bob

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
My problem with the electric cars when it comes to bracket racing is that you can control so much of the variability.

True dat. But in essence isn't one striving for perfection, for control over a complex puzzle? Isn't electric the "best" answer? Hasn't "electric" already revolutionized (encroached if you like) bracket racing, delay box, MSD ignitions, launch controls? I remember Glidden saying today's racer wouldn't know how to launch a car without rev limiters.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I thought this was going to be a thread about Atco Dragway owner selling the track to an auto auction.

That would/will be a Big Change.

I did catch a Tesla racing the 100K in Bristol on the live feed. I saw it lose the two times I saw it run. The one time I think he was .00x red and .00x under.

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Boucher Jr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
Scary though to consider. You look over in the other lane and see AOC in her 1400hp electric Mustang. I'm not positive which is more scary but my money is on that horse faced moron.

Bob

wreckins racin...

Posts: 236 | Location: Il. | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
We race internal combustion engines that rely on oxygen and air. Part of the challenge is dialing in the car to those air changes that will not effect an electric car. Wind would still effect it some because of drag but performance would not be effected by Barometric Pressure, Temperature, humidity etc.

Also being electric it could probably be easily set up to ramp in power at a certain speed to avoid tire spin and possibly even set up to have XXX revolutions under power to run exact same et every time.

Eliminates some variables we have to deal with and brings in other opportunities that I do not like. I do not like the idea of electric cars racing.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4019 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
There was a Tesla entered in this past weekends 100k Footbrake race in Bristol. I think when one starts winning the discussion will start in earnest. I agree there is a lot of opportunities for more consistency. Maybe 10 years from now it will be Jr., Top, Modified and Electic called to the lanes.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Takes a a lot of battery capacity to produce 1400hp. Tesla weighs 5500 lbs.

For a $300k Ford, I can think of a all steel factory condition 1969 Chevrolet Nova with a homebuilt n/a sbc, on a 10 x 28 tire that'll dust that azz 660ft, 3 sp trans dust that azz 1320 ft too.

Not impressed $300k Ford

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
quote:
My problem with the electric cars when it comes to bracket racing is that you can control so much of the variability.

True dat. But in essence isn't one striving for perfection, for control over a complex puzzle? Isn't electric the "best" answer? Hasn't "electric" already revolutionized (encroached if you like) bracket racing, delay box, MSD ignitions, launch controls? I remember Glidden saying today's racer wouldn't know how to launch a car without rev limiters.

That striving is part of the challenge. Take the challenge out, and the game ends pretty quickly.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
more clueless comments and delusional dreams from our resident felon and cone killer.

1. this ain't a $300k race car.

2. It's a concept car that is not available to the public.

3. I watched that electric Cobra Jet run 8.68 at almost 163MPH which clearly would dust that azz of mickey's junk with triple chrome plated bumpers.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Hot rodding electric cars is and will definitely continue to become a thing. They will start racing more and more and a significant aftermarket industry will grow out of it. I personally love ICE cars and will probably always race one but I also think fast is fast and there will be more and more seriously fast electric race cars in the not too distant future. They will become more economical and readily available. Battery technology has come a long way and it still has a long runway to grow and become better. It will be interesting as hell.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
more clueless comments and delusional dreams from our resident felon and cone killer.

1. this ain't a $300k race car.

2. It's a concept car that is not available to the public.

3. I watched that electric Cobra Jet run 8.68 at almost 163MPH which clearly would dust that azz of mickey's junk with triple chrome plated bumpers.

Do I really need to explain everything to you Edward?

Everyone else seemed to follow the point I was making, with no objections to my estimate of the costs associated.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

and Bracket Talk too!

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Won't have to worry about noise restrictions and mufflers clapping

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
the muffler rule didn't last one season