New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Super Comp?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I am having trouble deciding between three companies for my first S/C. Spitzer, American, or the guy who built Billy's new undercovers.

Spitzer:
-Pros
  • Local
  • Carbon body
  • not a long wait till start
  • history with company (dad always ran spitzer)
    -cons
  • 23" cage minimum width
  • cant find anyone who uses them other than for T/D or Comp.
  • weird frame design

American:
    -pros
  • proven S/C winning design
  • will build a 21" cage
    -cons
  • not local
  • aluminum body
  • lengthy wait time

"not an undercover":
    -pros
  • local
  • carbon body (Direct copy of Billy's but not Aerodine price)
  • will build 21" cage
  • might be cheaper (buddy discount)
    -cons
  • insanely busy building A/Fuel chassis (lengthy wait time)
  • doesn't want to be involved with anything other that frame and body. I would have to supply all other components such as steering, brakes, rear end, and suspension for him.
  •  
    Posts: 24 | Location: Indianapolis  | Registered: March 31, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    DRR Pro
    Picture of nomad
    posted Hide Post
    You forgot Elite Race Cars in Wildwood, Florida 352-396-1037 Bill frederick or 352-303-0645 Larry Stickland.

They build good stuff.

nomad
    Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    DRR S/Pro
    Picture of Floyd Staggs
    posted Hide Post
    I have a few friends that have Racetech. The latest one is a very nice car. Wasn't cheap but it is nice.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    DRR Elite
    posted Hide Post
    First, you can’t get a LOR/Torrence UNDERCOVER.

Next, American is 8 months out if you order today.

You don’t want a spitzer car for super comp.

Elite is an UNDERCOVER, built from the original jig and by the guy that had been building Undercover cars for 25 years.

Miller is another option.

They are all available with a carbon fiber body.

21” cage has no resale.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    DRR Sportsman
    posted Hide Post
    Ed is correct on all those facts

Posts: 155 | Location: Syracuse NY | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    DRR Top Comp
    posted Hide Post
    Phantom chassis dragster won the US Nationals Super Comp last year.

Mullis cars are being built again.

Ray Miller or Phantom be my choices.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    DRR Trophy
    posted Hide Post
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
    posted Hide Post
    And also 1320 racer is right on all areas being time frame, cage size, carbon body, and a 21" cage.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    DRR Trophy
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by 1320racer:
    First, you can’t get a LOR/Torrence UNDERCOVER.

Next, American is 8 months out if you order today.

You don’t want a spitzer car for super comp.

Elite is an UNDERCOVER, built from the original jig and by the guy that had been building Undercover cars for 25 years.

Miller is another option.

They are all available with a carbon fiber body.

21” cage has no resale.

I am good friends with the person who builds the chassis for Billy at Lucas and I am also good friends with the person who owns the carbon shop who is making the bodies. So yes, I can.

Posts: 24 | Location: Indianapolis  | Registered: March 31, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    DRR Elite
    posted Hide Post
    We’ve had extensive conversations with Bobby lagana and Billy Torrence, I know you can’t get a car for at least 18 months if then and there are only 2 chsssis left iirc of the original 6 and they’re all 23”. This is a part time effort at best for them done in off season and down time.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    DRR Trophy
    posted Hide Post
    Ed, Not trying to be difficult. But its not technically through Lucas. The person who built the UNDERCOVER chassis for Billy at Lucas has left and started his own chassis/fab shop. He recently just built Jasmine Salinas's A/Fuel dragster....twice. I was the top end mechanic for the person who owns composite specialties who is making the carbon bodies. He told me he could build a 21" cage for me since his T/F was only 19.5" yes it will hurt resale but I'm sure I won't be the last six foot 165lbs guy.

DRR Elite
    posted Hide Post
    Your info is not correct. The chassis were never built for Billy, he bought them from Lucas. They were built for Tommy Philips who announced the relaunching of Undercover 3 years ago IIRC.

That said All I know is I have $75k burning a hole in my pocket and despite numerous conversations with Bobby and Billy I can’t get a car and neither can Todd Ewing, Chris Dodd and others. I’m told they are building a car for a former Pro Stock racer now that was supposed to be done already yet he doesn’t know when he will get it. I also don’t want a 23” car.

https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/foru...627013496#9627013496

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

DRR Trophy
    posted Hide Post
    Ed,
    This is what I am saying. it's not going to be a Lucas built undercover. It will be from the person who has left Lucas and started his own business. This person has the blue prints since he was in charge of building them for Lucas while he was there.

DRR Elite
    posted Hide Post
    Then why are you here asking whose car to buy if you KNOW you can get a clone.

DRR Trophy
    posted Hide Post
    Because of the original cons.
    he only wants to build the chassis and mount the body. I will need to figure out steering, suspension, brakes, and anything else. I do not have any idea where to buy the steering parts other than the strange rack. What shock and spring rate to use. Type of willwood master cylinder everyone uses. etc etc...

DRR Elite
    posted Hide Post
    Do yourself a huge favor, call Bill Frederick and order a new Undercover aka Elite.

BTW, my NHRA division championship winning, JEGS ALLSTAR and #4 in the world Undercover car, is for sale. Wink

DRR Sportsman
    posted Hide Post
    Ed will you autograph the car if I buy it?

When everything is coming your way, your probably in the wrong lane.

Posts: 1013 | Location: Between a Rock and a Hard Spot, USA | Registered: December 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    DRR Elite
    posted Hide Post
    For a few extra $

DRR Pro
    posted Hide Post
    The new Mullis owners in Fargo, ND are taking orders and sounds like wait time isn't too bad yet. They also recently announced No Deposit. They said they have a lot of steel and parts in stock. Once they get about 1/2 way done you get a call to pay the deposit or the next guy in line is called. I like the idea of not throwing a bunch of money up front on an order.

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    DRR Trophy
    posted Hide Post
    Vince have you raced Super Comp before? Im an old guy have hade many cars. I havent raced Super comp for 20 years. I still race and won my last 20 grander 2 weeks ago at the Ohio Ace race at 42. I am racing a door car that could race in Super Comp. Vince that being said its a little harder than those guys make it look. I get it go .00 something and beat the other lane to the finish line by .00 something. How ever there is a learning curve to the set up, and starting from scratch takes a little trial and error. If gettin a new car is going to take a while you may be miles ahead if you can buy a car already set up for Super Comp. One that has records on the set up. If thats possibel you will save time and money and (stress) I would say a new car(all new stuff) motor, trans, electronics, is going to be 85 to 100 grand depending on power. Example: As with 1320racers car he has the combo that he chose for the job. I am sure he has all the timers times written down. He has the converter, valve body, and shock setup for the job at hand. Super comp races with contingency will pay about 16,000 a piece. If you have a car that is all set up you will be a contender in the first race and skip over the learning set up curve.