New
Find
Notify
Tools

No Tech?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
It seems as if everything today is blamed on Covid. In our little world, one of those things is actual tech inspection at all NHRA national and Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series events, whether you know it or not.

I may have spoken about this last year when it was announced the elimination of an actual tech inspection at all NHRA events. That was done according to NHRA “…to reduce physical contact in light of the pandemic situation while still emphasizing compliance with the Rulebook.” I still get some who question the logic behind no tech inspection, as if logic always plays a part in a number of decisions in our sport.

To maybe bring you up to date, it really began several years ago when tech was abandoned at national events. Rather than competitors presenting that long tech card and your car to a real tech inspector, it was deemed unnecessary. Truth is that the only way to gain entry to a national event was and still is by attending a number of divisional events along the way. This means then that your car has already been “seen” and inspected numerous times by an NHRA tech official, so that having it inspected several times can be redundant.

Now though, the onus is on the driver. “Make sure you have and wear the proper safety equipment, but there will be spot checks along the way.”

One of the problems I have with this “new-normal,” is that admittingly there have been things I’ve forgotten when certain items of my safety equipment may be out of date. Instances where while performing maintenance procedures (you do do that after a race, don’t you?) I may have looked at seatbelts-trans-cert dates-etc. and found they were out of date. Of course, it appears as if most have a problem with having to replace perfectly good seat belts every two years, or why an SFI-15 fire suit needs to be re-certified every five years yet I can wear a -5 suit until it almost literally falls apart from years of cleaning. But…

In reality if you’ve attended any typical weekend or big bracket race, tech inspection is merely a formality. I say that though with all due respect to any of the many tech inspectors at tracks around the country, but it’s somewhat true. It’s sometimes just a “Hey, how you doing? Do you have a helmet and jacket? Check. Have a great day.”

I clearly remember being at one of the bigger events where it was announced, “Tech inspection will begin at 9:00. Bring your Tech Card to the tech area. I repeat: Bring your Tech CARD; not your car; to the tech area.” Thankfully, there really are very little issues but there could be. When I think of this, I harken back to Island Dragway’s (NJ) Duke Snyder. Duke was one of those diligent tech inspectors. A guy who wasn’t too tough but was not afraid to point out things with your safety in mind.

Because I happen to stand on the starting line quite a bit, I frequently notice a lot of things which don’t appear to be safe; most certainly loose seat belts. Naturally something like that would never be caught in an official tech inspection. But I can see when drivers pull up with loose belts, belts so loose that the driver’s head is hanging out of the roll cage, neck collars either missing or cut down so they are really useless, etc., etc.

Several years ago, it was mentioned at the NHRA U.S. Nationals that during one time trial session for Super Comp, the NHRA positioned a tech inspector in the burnout box. It wasn’t made public but hat person took notice of loose seat belts and the like. Those drivers were pulled over at the top end after the run and questioned as to why. No one was thrown out; the exercise not meant to do that; just to merely instruct drivers to remain safe.

At one event I attended, the starter had noticed a driver not wearing a neck collar. That particular starter stopped the driver with an inquiring look. It’s possible the driver may have forgotten to put it on but in this case, it was no where to be found. The driver was backed off until he staged back up with the proper equipment. I commended the starter for catching it.

Can that be done at some of these other big events? I think it has in some cases, but it almost needs to be a mandatory part of the track’s policy. Once again, no one needs to be thrown out, but just helped to maintain a safe environment.

I know we don’t seem to see this moniker much anymore, but NHRA’s “Dedicated to safety,” should still be what it’s all about.

Posts: 154 | Location: Beaver Springs, PA | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Deniker
posted Hide Post
John, you ever race in Alabama ??? lol. They make their own rules.

Posts: 622 | Location: Latrobe Pa. | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
I was at a Big Money event at VMP driving a dragster. 3rd or 4th round I did my burnout and the starter stopped me, I had forgotten to put on my neck collar, it was still hanging off the roll cage. He proceeded to scold me for not putting it on then checked my belts, checked my arm restraints and checked my gloves for holes. (All this while my competitor was sitting there pre-staged, on gas.) I won the round and he was not too happy with me since his car was over heating and he slowed up. I offered to re-run the guy if the track would let us but they said no.

That was back in 2001-2002.

There hasn't been tech at the big races for years, way before we ever heard of covid.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 743 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
No Tech is an open Liability waiting to happen.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4512 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I agree with Barry. When there is a catastrophic event on track and there is a fatality why was there a technical inspection a few years ago and not now. I think this will be a problem for nhra in court. Just my opinion!

When everything is coming your way, your probably in the wrong lane.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Between a Rock and a Hard Spot, USA | Registered: December 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I agree with Mr. Poole and Mr. Scarth there is a line of Lawyers 100 miles long waiting to sue everyone involved.

Bob

Posts: 3086 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
When I was in college I crewed on the weekends for my uncle's late model dirt roundy-round car. They crash ALL THE TIME and they don't tech ANYTHING. This includes some travelling series races and high-dollar stuff. They check weight and tires to see if you're legal, but safety equipment? Nope. If you're dumb enough to race with tattered seat belts, old helmets, and improperly mounted fuel cells, that's on you.

Not saying this is a good idea, just pointing out for comparison.

Mike

Posts: 1566 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:
No Tech is an open Liability waiting to happen.

Agreed..

I still do chassis certifications for IHRA.

Prior to IHRA ending the Pro Ams and going to the current program I had racetracks all over TX and LA, TN and AR calling to set up certification dates. Since this new program has started, last year I turned in maybe 15-20 certs and this year I have 6.
Prior years I would do anywhere from 30 to 50 in one day. Shoot I would leave a track at 9:00 PM and stop at 2 or 3 shops on my way out of town to do 2 or 3 cars at each shop.
So far this year I have done 1 certification and no tracks have contacted me.

As far as tech is concerned. We used to encourage racers to get an annual inspection. We would tech the car and the annual would expire in one year OR when a safety item went out of date.
To get us to accept your tech card you had to bring the annual card to the tech trailer and we verified it was still in date. That was well thought out and worked well.

But I lay this at the feet of track owners/operators. They are afraid to say anything for fear of losing a racer for the most part.

I go to a track fill out the minimum of info and just take the card to tech, hand it to a teenage girl sitting there to accept them.
Tracks just don't have anyone qualified to do tech for the most part.

Having been on my head once I take safety pretty serious so I make sure my equipment is right and I wear everything even when it's not required.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I hear the liability issue. But riddle me this:

Which is worse? Tech'ing cars half assed but giving competitors the idea that their car and those they will be racing against are obviously safe, because they were "tech'ed"?
or
Disclaimers that lay the responsibility on the individual racer to make sure their cars are safe?

I know the right lawyers can poke holes in #2 depending on the situation. But if they aren't going to do it well, probably better to not do it at all from a litigation standpoint.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6412 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
As good a place as any for this...cruising through the pits at Barona one afternoon and stopped to look at a very nice looking early-70s Nova. Beautiful car, nice cage, big engine, etc. I'm checking it out and notice that the shoulder harnesses are attached to the rollcage with a muffler clamp...Clamp is around the bar behind the seat and then both shoulder strap ends are attached to one end of the u-bolt with a single 3/8" nut (not even a lock nut). My first thought was "How the hell does this pass tech?" and the 2nd thought was "This guy doesn't give a **** about himself, much less the person in the lane next to him". Blew my mind.

Posts: 121 | Location: Imperial, CA | Registered: September 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Back in the day the lawyers just started to see $$$ signs. Since back in the day the safety equipment was poor or not addressed. Then people died or got mamed, hence SFI, HANS, etc. Since Earnhardt died there have been HUGE safety improvements. But not to check them with No Tech is open to HUGE lawsuits. Here come the lawyers!

When everything is coming your way, your probably in the wrong lane.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Between a Rock and a Hard Spot, USA | Registered: December 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
LMAO What is Tech?

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1404 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Pay at the gate--thats tech. I once at Maple Grove got picked to pieces at tech. As they were taking my helmet apart, thats right, I saw a car in the other lane passed with one rear lug bolt missing ???? Now they might check something while you are in the water box if someone on the computer feed claims you are using a button in a foot brake race.....

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I'd like to know why in NHRA you have to have chassis cert for 6.39 and faster, but then in IHRA you don't need it until 5.99?

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I enjoy watching someone else's in car video, I can't take my eyes off of the flexing aluminum seat only bolted through the floor, lol.

Posts: 291 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Holytown:
I'd like to know why in NHRA you have to have chassis cert for 6.39 and faster, but then in IHRA you don't need it until 5.99?

Or in NHRA a cert if you run 135mph or faster while in IHRA it's required if you run 150mph..

LOL

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Speaking of that. Shouldn't that same MPH be enforced at 1/8 mile races? Why do you need a chassis certification tag, if you only race 1/8 mile and go say 110? A car that runs 6.39 in the 1/8 might go 100-105 all out, which is shows a discrepancy in their 135 mph 1/4 mile rule

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RacerVX54:
LMAO What is Tech?

Oh, come on Brian. You know what that is. It's where that guy takes your filled out tech card and adds it to the stack. Smile Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1234 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
exactly. The days of tech at NHRA events are over

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Holytown:
Speaking of that. Shouldn't that same MPH be enforced at 1/8 mile races? Why do you need a chassis certification tag, if you only race 1/8 mile and go say 110? A car that runs 6.39 in the 1/8 might go 100-105 all out, which is shows a discrepancy in their 135 mph 1/4 mile rule

The way I understand it, is if you run 135/150 in the 1/8th you are well past the 6.0 ET.

Dave