DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    NHRA Licensing Fees Have Gone Up
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NHRA Licensing Fees Have Gone Up
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted
Yesterday I received the licensing application and saw that the fee to renew my S/G and S/C license (Type B Level 4) went up to $265, $245 for S/G plus another $20 for S/C for two years.

Considering the number of events NHRA has in Division 7, the increased entry fees (4 entries for $720 total) and the travel distance (1700 miles) to attend three or four of them I may forgo the renewal and simply slow the car way down (5.00 to 6.30 +) and run a few Bracket races at our local 1/8th mile track.

After being a member for nearly 6 decades this may be the straw that breaks the camel's back. The value of that license simply doesn't justify the expense of a license, the travel expense and the Division entry fees.

I get it, the NHRA is hurting for income, it's just that I can't justify the enormous annual expense any longer based on a Social Security and pension check. I have a few days to think this over but for now I see this as the end of my membership with the NHRA. The leadership at the NHRA will have to figure out another source for those million dollar salaries.

Bob

Posts: 3127 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Right on Bob. I guess they forgot to raise the payout money

Posts: 11 | Location: bakersfield ca | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Everything has sadly changed. The Indy 500 purse was cut in half this year

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Trying to collect any contingency award money is a complete waste of time and the purse, in relationship to the entry fee, is embarrassing. The Winner after paying all the associated expenses (travel expenses, entry fees, the elevated price of race fuel plus the income tax) the Winner barely breaks even.

Bracket Racing is becoming more attractive than NHRA Divisional events. Far less travel, lower entry fees ($70 for me the car and the wife vs $255), more runs, better parking, friendly staff and far better purse structure. All this in a one day event, not a four day event with much of it sitting around waiting to be called.

With the current Covid restrictions and no spectators I'm not convinced that the NHRA will still be operating in two years so why pay them $245. In spite of the optimism of the Editorial Column in National Dragster this is a terrible time to be a Professional Drag Racer. Force had the best plan, just park the operation.

Bob

Posts: 3127 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Just renewed the other license (IHRA) 2 Year
$160.00... I agree Bob, the rich get richer and the poor go broke....With RT 66 closed for 2021,The IHRA track RT 41 in Indiana is putting a fortune in improvements and updates for great events to come and manage to keep cost fair. A ton of racers have switched to 41 due to it being still close for events.Who knows if 66 will ever reopen.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1410 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
$160 is reasonable, $85 more for a NHRA license IS unreasonable especially if the nearest NHRA Divisional event is 340 miles (one way) from here. I continue to hear that Fontana (127 miles from here) may not re-open so Phoenix would be the closest Divisional to me. I can see our local 1/8th mile track also leave NHRA, the fees they pay are too expensive.

We are now 9 months into the Covid Pandemic where I live and it continues to bring increased restrictions from the Governor. I am beginning to believe that the NHRA won't survive, IHRA just might be the last man standing.

Bob

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Bob, Fontana dragstrip is re-opening the weekend after the Nascar race on February 28th.

When everything is coming your way, your probably in the wrong lane.

Posts: 1022 | Location: Between a Rock and a Hard Spot, USA | Registered: December 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
What was it when you last renewed two years ago, Bob?

They doubled the license fees about 10 years ago, and since then I seem to recall it being about $300 for a license and three class numbers. That’s roughly in line with what you’ve stated.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3185 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
The license fees include membership and the ND subscription. They lumped it all together a few years ago.

I think it was $240 last time I renewed.

Yes it is overpriced for sure but NHRA does what they do and will continue to.

Car certs, license and membership fees add up to some good income for them...

We basically have no alternative and they know it...

If you race at an NHRA sanctioned track and they play by the rules you have to play by the rules too....

I let my S/G license expire in the past and just slowed my car up to race.....

I used a t-stop to go 10.0 in one car and won Super ET doing it....

Renewing a license is a PITA so I would not let mine expire until I was done...

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Since the last time I renewed my licenses was two years agoI couldn't remember what they charged me, I have problems remembering what I had for breakfast.

My son Brian let his license expire so that leaves only me and my oldest son Mike with licenses.

Thanks Larry:

Glad to hear that Fontana is going to reopen in February. There hasn't been anyone there answering the phone when I've called.

Bob

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
There hasn’t been anyone answering the phones at Fontana because they are closed

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Someone explain to me the ROI of racing these NHRA events. I can win more, travel less, don't need a license, and spend a ton less just racing local bracket races where where its $50 for the day to win $1000 to $1500. Then there is the big money bracket races. Compare those to an NHRA national event. Must be some benefit to NHRA membership today that I don't see.

Posts: 6234 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Fern,

I have been doing this almost as long as you have. The NHRA experience has about worn off. I go to see my friends and also to race. However, the bracket races are looking a lot more inviting so I'm going to try more of that next year. This year is a bust!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5326 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I talked with the guys that own our local 1/8th mile track (Barona) and they said that I had to have a license to drive the Roadster there, so I bit the bullet and sent NHRA the $245. I dropped the additional $20 charge for Super Comp since I have no plans to run that class at a NHRA Divisional event again.

No more long distant towing to a NHRA throttle stop (S/G) events, more Bracket racing for me. More runs, less expensive with a much better purse structure. I love running it wide open, the car is extremely consistent without the stop.

I'm with ya Vern, the thrill is gone!

Bob

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Barona is incorrect. That is a 1/8 mile track and as long as you don’t run quicker than 6.40 you don’t need a license

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Cash many, many, years ago I was all in for NHRA but I must have bailed 25 years ago as I had started chasing those added purse bracket races that were starting to pop up East of the big river. Now I just go when the mood moves me and it always warms my heart to find many old friends where ever I go. I raced with Peter Biondos Dad, have known Jared Pennington long before he ever sponsored a race or became a sought after announcer. Michael Beard long before he started Loose Rocker. And no one at these races today ever checks anything except your money. So I just don't understand as a racer why bother with them. So far this year I have been to Bristol, VMP, Galot, Piedmont, and Rockingham. Hope they have the West Palm Beach deal New Years but so far have heard nothing

Posts: 6234 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Barona is incorrect. That is a 1/8 mile track and as long as you don’t run quicker than 6.40 you don’t need a license

I run low 5's at Barona, they don't have any Super Class racing, just Bracket Racing and the Antique Drags.

Bob

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I can assume your going to be quicker than 9.90 in the quarter

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can assume your going to be quicker than 9.90 in the quarter

I've run the car in Super Comp several times at a number of Division 7 tracks so, to answer your question yes it is quicker than 9.90. Years ago Barona held one Super Comp (5.70) event where I was the #1 Qualifier and ended up winning the race. Barona only did that one time, they have never run a Super Gas event.

Wide open in a 1/4 mile it will run in the high 7's. Certainly not a rocket ship but fast enough to require a license. I just want to Bracket Race the car, the NHRA Super Class racing is too expensive for me.

Bob

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richard Hammond
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
Cash many, many, years ago I was all in for NHRA but I must have bailed 25 years ago as I had started chasing those added purse bracket races that were starting to pop up East of the big river. Now I just go when the mood moves me and it always warms my heart to find many old friends where ever I go. I raced with Peter Biondos Dad, have known Jared Pennington long before he ever sponsored a race or became a sought after announcer. Michael Beard long before he started Loose Rocker. And no one at these races today ever checks anything except your money. So I just don't understand as a racer why bother with them. So far this year I have been to Bristol, VMP, Galot, Piedmont, and Rockingham. Hope they have the West Palm Beach deal New Years but so far have heard nothing

New years nationals Dec 31- Jan 02 2021 will be at Palm beach

Posts: 436 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post