DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    weird market for the buyer right now.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

weird market for the buyer right now.
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Has anyone noticed its a strange market right now for buying a racecar?
Racingjunk used to have 700 to 750 dragster listed now they are showing 246.Top sportsman only has about 40 cars listed.
Racingjunk has an odd new format and it seems like there is more adds for big companies than actual cars.
On the dragster side almost everything listed appears to be 88 to early 2000'S build.The few cars that are several years old the seller wants within a couple thousand of what you could build a brand new car for.
The facebook groups dragsters only for sale and top sportsman/top dragster for sale seem to have the same old wore out stuff.
So i decided to get a price on a new car build.On the dragster side i called and emailed 4 of the big builders and not one of them answered or responded.
On the doorcar side i was quoted 110 to 150,000 for a roller.

Posts: 1425 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I've heard that lead times on dragster builds are longer than usual, which makes me think that some are starting to keep their newer cars rather than wait for a new build.

Posts: 66 | Location: Glen Burnie | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
$80K Turn key and you can have mine and run 6.10 all day at most any track

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted January 05, 2021 09:55 AM Hide Post

id have to buy your balls too steve Wink

Posts: 1425 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:

That's a great deal for anyone want to competitively run TD. If we did, I'd jump on it but the deal would need to include you for at least 1/2 the season.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
quote:

As they say everything has its price Laughing Hard

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Friends new car. About 80K to build.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Has anyone noticed its a strange market right now for buying a racecar?
Racingjunk used to have 700 to 750 dragster listed now they are showing 246.Top sportsman only has about 40 cars listed.
Racingjunk has an odd new format and it seems like there is more adds for big companies than actual cars.
On the dragster side almost everything listed appears to be 88 to early 2000'S build.The few cars that are several years old the seller wants within a couple thousand of what you could build a brand new car for.
The facebook groups dragsters only for sale and top sportsman/top dragster for sale seem to have the same old wore out stuff.
So i decided to get a price on a new car build.On the dragster side i called and emailed 4 of the big builders and not one of them answered or responded.
On the doorcar side i was quoted 110 to 150,000 for a roller.

As far as the lesser # of dragsters, and people not answering out there goes.....I think a lot of people have Hunter Patton Syndrome right now. Just traded a guy a hard tail roller maybe worth 5500 for a back half roller that probably is worth maybe 9500??

Everyone hold on to your novas! they're next! lol

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
quote:
quote:

Watch it if married his wife will be one you are dealing with.

As they say everything has its price Laughing Hard

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
I only build door cars, but I'm booked two years out with more calls every week. The china flu has been real good for me.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Seems to me these days most cars for sale seem to find there way to Facebook. Which I think is unfortunate but a sign of the times. Only thing that keeps me going there is race related stuff. Most tracks seem to use FB as their primary means of communication and seem the rest of the industry is going that way too.

FWIW I have recently sold two cars, neither were advertised anywhere. I am in the market for a new to us dragster currently as ours was one of the cars we sold.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 990 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:

The few cars that are several years old the seller wants within a couple thousand of what you could build a brand new car for.

In 2019 a friend of mine wanted to get a nice couple year old used dragster. We looked at a couple of cars together but everything was either older than he wanted or like you said priced within a couple thousand of new.

He ended up ordering a new Miller 245” swingarm car at the end of 2019. Went and got it in April or May. It has a wing, dual brakes, race pak, Todd’s extreme paint. Nice car and he’s happy with it. It was $45k as a complete roller.

Posts: 715 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
It was funny a few years ago with jr dragsters. Everyone that had a 3-4 year old Halfscale wanted new price for the car alone. They are quick to point out paint, and I am quick to point out that a paint job picked by your daughter that she though was cute, isn't worth more on a car. It subtracts. Finally I called up Halfscale and got a new un*******ized one.

Covid seems to have reduced inventory and lengthened lead times on everything.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:

No Joke..
I spent the better part of 2 days calling everyone I could find or was recommended to me for a set of SCE or Cometic head gaskets.
Summit and Jegs had them posted as shipping in March and April. Jegs had the cometics posted as shipping 4 Jan so I ordered them. Immediately got an email saying they ship at the end of Jan..
So I wait.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Here I was thinking stock market and was all ready to suggest Tesla, that could be the next Birkshire
Carry on

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I just took a look over there. My opinion is that most aren't interested in selling just fishing for someone to maybe bite on their inflated asking price

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
He ended up ordering a new Miller 245”

i called and emailed miller over a week ago,no response...along with 3 other builders

DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
I just sold a 68 Camaro convertible on Facebook. Phone rang off the hook for the first 4 hrs it was posted. Sold it to the first guy who looked at it for asking price. It was priced right though and not junk.

People are spending good money for sure whether to buy or build but junk is junk and inflated junk prices just make nice stuff worth more Razz

Posts: 1422 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:
quote:

No Joke..
I spent the better part of 2 days calling everyone I could find or was recommended to me for a set of SCE or Cometic head gaskets.
Summit and Jegs had them posted as shipping in March and April. Jegs had the cometics posted as shipping 4 Jan so I ordered them. Immediately got an email saying they ship at the end of Jan..
So I wait.

Dave

I had that same experience with Cometic. I hurt my first piston ever last year, and waited six weeks for a replacement.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:
quote:

No Joke..
So I wait.

Dave

I had that same experience with Cometic. I hurt my first piston ever last year, and waited six weeks for a replacement.

Waited about the same amount of time for mine too. Seems anything thats ordered now takes forever..
Think I got hosed on trailer door torsion springs from 365 garage door parts.. do not use them!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4505 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post