Find
Notify
Tools

Red Light winner?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Good afternoon all.
I was talking with a group of guys this weekend.
The conversation came up about how many red light a guy got on the way to the winner circle.
So my question is how many red lights did you receive on the way to a winner's circle?
Has anyone ever got a red light every round on the way to a winners circle?
Several years ago I got 3 out of 5 going to the semi finals at a NHRA Divisional in SST.
Just a fun question.
Cal SST 1177

Posts: 46 | Location: Southern MD | Registered: November 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I know somebody who got 6 in a row before.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I had 3 RL to finals once.....then in finals dragster was losing air in tire and ran a tenth off......why isn't every race like that.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
sometime in about 1992 I got 7 out of 8 rounds given to me by the red light only round I had to win was the semis best part was the trans was cooked only made two full runs all day LOL

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 409 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vetman:
sometime in about 1992 I got 7 out of 8 rounds given to me by the red light only round I had to win was the semis best part was the trans was cooked only made two full runs all day LOL

You know you're living right when those stars align.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
During all the years that I have been racing I have only had ONE guy red light on me, that was the semi final at the Sonoma, Ca. NHRA Divisional Event.

Only one......ever! Thanks Gary!

Bob

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I once had either 5 or 6 all the way to the winners circle——with a broke car.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of BarneyB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:

At the first ten grand nationals? Someone received a red light all the way to ten thousand dollar win

WiredTwoWin race car wiring

Posts: 2436 | Location: Wadsworth, Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I did win one rather unusual race around 2002. It was late in the season and every round was I was up against one of top ten in points. One of the guys broke his converter and could not run any where near his dial, Another broke throttle cable or Rod at the hit. Just one thing after another and I kept winning. I think that night I was just lucky and in the right place at the right time.
Some days you are terrible, some day you are killing it and sometimes you are just lucky.

Often you will get that one lucky round or break on the the way to a win but that night was crazy.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4019 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BarneyB:
quote:

At the first ten grand nationals? Someone received a red light all the way to ten thousand dollar win

Wow! Do you remember who?

BG

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richie
posted Hide Post
A few years ago my Camaro broke in time trials so I jumped into Super w/ my 2016 Silverado...won the first 2 rounds w/ red lights and would got the bye in the 3rd. Round w/ .003 light but even number ended my day..

Posts: 255 | Location: Windsor locks Ct. | Registered: November 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BG7X77:
quote:
Originally posted by BarneyB:
quote:

I know it wasn’t me because I wasn’t at the first one nor have I ever won it.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
It wasn’t a red light but a break out I won. First round in my Vega I dialed 6.40 something against a dragster at 4.90 something. Tree comes down, tbrake releases and car moves about a foot and stops. Motor goes to the rev limiter and that’s it for me. Guy in dragster leaves on his green and runs flat out the back to a break out with me still sitting on the line.

Posts: 495 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I went red first round, bought back. From 2nd round on everyone was red. I was killing the tree but the car was trash, varied several hun from pass to pass.

Probably have had 3 red lights in the opposite lane since.

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I had a bye to the final and in the semis I launched, hit high gear, nothing. Got towed off track back to the pits, determined I had broke a drum. Decided to go up and stage anyway for the final. I was the slower car, my lights came down and the other car left on my green while I sat there. I had to be pushed over to the winners circle.

Posts: 297 | Location: Nevada | Registered: February 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
This isnt a red light win, just the opposite. My grandson cars trans went out but if he revved it high enough it would creep forward. We pushed the car through the staging lanes, through the water box and close to the lights. The other car knew we were broke. My grandson revved the car up high enough to get in the lights, tree came down, the other car sat there till his light was green then left.He got to the top end lifted at the mph cone and STILL BROKE OUT.Needless to say we couldnt make the next round, but WTH.

Posts: 297 | Location: Nevada | Registered: February 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I won a local race back in the day when I used to be intimidating. 7 rounds I had 6 red lights and a bye run for the W.

I get 0 red lights these days,

ep

Posts: 764 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
I won a National Dragster Challenge Wally in 2009 at Silver Dollar Raceway with some luck. At five cars I won my round, but realized on the return road that I had no 2nd gear in my TH400. Got my time slip and started to load up to go home, then looked at the slip and I had a .003 reaction time, likely giving me the bye at three cars. I headed to the lanes, sure enough had the bye, and made a pass shifting 1st to 3rd at 12.40. Pulled back around to the lanes for the final, dialed a 12.40, staged, and my opponent red-lighted. Wally is sitting on the shelf right next to me as I type this Smile

Mike

Posts: 1566 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
My old man claims he won a race back in the late 80's and every person was red against him!

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 27Keith
posted Hide Post
I know exactly who BB amd Green1 are talking about. TR ! I beat him the next week 1st rd at another track.

4 X Track Champion ( 2 & 2 )
2 X Run off Winner

Posts: 2084 | Location: out there | Registered: March 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post