1.69 vs 1.80
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of inferno camaro
posted Hide Post
My thoughts exactly.

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
If you were running national event prep, this thread wouldn't exist.

You're Super Pro bracket racing, going 4.90's 5.0's on local prep.

Slow up the front half, keep your mph.

Posts: 390 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inferno camaro:
My thoughts exactly.

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
If you were running national event prep, this thread wouldn't exist.

You're Super Pro bracket racing, going 4.90's 5.0's on local prep.

Slow up the front half, keep your mph.

Common sense.

I'm in the same boat.

This is as slow as I can go in the front half, after adjustments.

The car has been a best of 1.27 60ft and 3.81 to the 330ft with the current 23 sbc 427 engine in it.

Took me all season last year testing during competition to get to this point, it's excellent now and a threat to win any race.

I tested 3 converters, 3 gear ratio's, 2 intakes and two carbs. It came together last two races at Orlando 2022, I about won both races, got rained out at 4 cars in one race and won the other - Super Pro - 8.5" wide tire.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Another thing I did I forgot to mention, I packed as many slow clutches as I could into a Sonnax 10 clutch billet drum, to tone it down out of the gate off the trans brake.

Make sure it shifts to high here, and not before it reaches peak flash stall.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Do you have a picture of the car on the scales? Do you have a video of the car leaving?

Posts: 842 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
This was full power last race of the year. I lower wheelie bars and air pressure for this one.

https://youtu.be/YTNSrfm-r_g

This one was my normal setup.

https://youtu.be/p6vR1sNjIQ8

Posts: 390 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/S0vmhnGt8hA

Not a good video but one from the front.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
That thing looks bad to the bone with the wheely bar down. Chris Bell and you have that looking excellent.

Hows the driveshaft graph look, got a little spike in it, or two?

Looks Pro setup.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks,

It is pretty smooth for the most part. I can't figure out an easy way to post one on here or I would.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks,

It is pretty smooth for the most part. I can't figure out an easy way to post one on here or I would.

IMGUR

See the BBC code (Forums)? Copy that and paste it here once you get a IMGUR acct. Simple

You haven't tried. I ain't no smarter than you.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
You are doing right thing asking questions and trying different things. Some will be better and some worse but you will not know for sure until you try.
The first video I think wheelie bar and tire pressure was too low. Wheelie bar may be good right there if you have a little more air in the rear tires.
First thing I would do is go to MT tires. If you was to try MT tires from my experience they require a little more air. On my old Altered it liked 5.25 Lbs I think it liked 6.25 with the MT tires same size.
Second thing I believe it would be better with a 4.56 or 4.30 rear gear. Not sure what trap RPM you are running and where you want it to be.

I do not think the 1.69 transmission gear is the right way to go although it would soften hit a little by lowering starting line gear ratio.

I suspect you are hitting rear tires too hard with too much gear ratio and also has higher trap RPM than desired?

If that is the case a 4.56 gear helps both. That also gives you more room for error in tire selection.
If you take some gear out of it then you would not have to pull as much timing out and you could bring it back in sooner.
I like to shift a few hundred RPM over peak power and fall back in to sweet spot of power band but I prefer to be peaked on power just before finish line.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4191 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks,

I use postimages.org it is pretty easy to use.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4191 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I wish MT would start making the tires I ran again. My car always seemed to work better with them and they stopped building both the ones I liked. I makes peak HP at 7000, I shift at 74-7450 and trap the same. 4.56 worked pretty well, the car didn't like the 4.30 gear. When I went from the 4.56 to the 4.86 the trap rpm went up 300. The converter went from 14-15% slip to around 9-10%

quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
You are doing right thing asking questions and trying different things. Some will be better and some worse but you will not know for sure until you try.
The first video I think wheelie bar and tire pressure was too low. Wheelie bar may be good right there if you have a little more air in the rear tires.
First thing I would do is go to MT tires. If you was to try MT tires from my experience they require a little more air. On my old Altered it liked 5.25 Lbs I think it liked 6.25 with the MT tires same size.
Second thing I believe it would be better with a 4.56 or 4.30 rear gear. Not sure what trap RPM you are running and where you want it to be.

I do not think the 1.69 transmission gear is the right way to go although it would soften hit a little by lowering starting line gear ratio.

I suspect you are hitting rear tires too hard with too much gear ratio and also has higher trap RPM than desired?

If that is the case a 4.56 gear helps both. That also gives you more room for error in tire selection.
If you take some gear out of it then you would not have to pull as much timing out and you could bring it back in sooner.
I like to shift a few hundred RPM over peak power and fall back in to sweet spot of power band but I prefer to be peaked on power just before finish line.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
With the 4.56 you would not need to pull as much timing out so may not hurt ET and put you in better RPM range all way down the track.

Shame MT does not have tires you need any more.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Trophy
Picture of Rodney Pryor
posted Hide Post
In your normal setup it looks like the front struts are too loose allowing the car to transfer weight really quick to the back tires / wheelie bars. Then its riding the wheelie bar creating wheel speed.

Posts: 124 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Switching from the 4.56 to the 4.86 only picked up .01-.02. I guess is thinking I wanted to cross 4-500 over peak. Ok so 4.86 with 1.69 SLR is 8.21, 4.56 with 1.80 is also 8.21. Which one would you expect to work better? My thought was less fall back at the shift would be better but I've never tried it or been around anyone personally who has. If shifting later into the run from higher 1st gear ratio, would that lower finish line rpm from being in high gear for less time? This is where it gets confusing to me. A lot of people tell me it will lower finish line rpm (I assume less converter slip) but doesn't make sense to me.

quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
With the 4.56 you would not need to pull as much timing out so may not hurt ET and put you in better RPM range all way down the track.

Shame MT does not have tires you need any more.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Struts are full tight, I sent them to Marc Smith to stiffen them up but I think he ended up just putting thicker oil in them. This is why I was going to try hanging a little weight up front. The car is 50/50 weight front to back. Maybe I need to replace 4 link brackets for more adjustment to help fine tune it.

quote:
Originally posted by Rodney Pryor:
In your normal setup it looks like the front struts are too loose allowing the car to transfer weight really quick to the back tires / wheelie bars. Then its riding the wheelie bar creating wheel speed.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The only path to less rpm at the stripe using the same final gear, tire and converter, is less mph.

No matter the low gear.

The advantage of a lower numerical low gear in high power cars is a less efficient converter in low gear, easy on the tire.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Overpowering the tire.

If you're not overpowering the tire according to prep, a lower numerical low gear (less efficient converter) is a disadvantage.

This thread would not exist if Inferno were racing on national event prep only.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Inferno, you gotta figure out if you wanna be a heads up racer (quick 8) or a Super Pro bracket racer.

If you wanna do both, you're gonna need two chunks, two transmissions you're willing to change, dependent on what you're doing.

Or you can keep doing what you're doing, if you're enjoying continual testing. I like testing too, but to an objective.

If you wanna competitively Super Pro bracket race on local prep, the mph is the higher value, et is the lower value.

Which car, is the race out in front of them at the stripe?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,