DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Do I Sound Old School
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do I Sound Old School
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I believe it was 2019 at the Winternationals when the eCOPO Camaro debuted in Pomona, and I was there to witness its initial runs. Elapsed times in the nine-second zone with wheels up launches were pretty impressive except for… The one thing those of us sitting on the guard wall agreed was the lack of noise.

Read more at https://dragracingactiononline...-i-sound-old-school/

Posts: 154 | Location: Beaver Springs, PA | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Yes you sound Old School but I think most reading this forum are of the same mindset. The sound and smell is all part of it.

What I think could be a win for all is if NHRA would transition the Jr. Dragster class to electric. The time it takes to run the current configuration is out of control as is the cost of engines. The noise they emit is anything but enjoyable. The kids racing these cars will likely be in an electric car at some point in their life.

Electric is coming whether we like it or not. With the Tesla Plaid being the worlds fastest production car, they have come a long way in a short time. They will run 9.50 at 150 mph+ and drive it to the track. Then your wife can use it all week for the daily driver.Smile They even have a sound package for the interior and exterior that can be set to produce the engine sound you want.

A lot of us old guys will never need it but for the younger guys on here building a new garage, leave an open 50 amp breaker spot in the electric panel.

Posts: 109 | Location: NY | Registered: April 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZ:
Yes you sound Old School but I think most reading this forum are of the same mindset. The sound and smell is all part of it.

What I think could be a win for all is if NHRA would transition the Jr. Dragster class to electric. The time it takes to run the current configuration is out of control as is the cost of engines. The noise they emit is anything but enjoyable. The kids racing these cars will likely be in an electric car at some point in their life.

Electric is coming whether we like it or not. With the Tesla Plaid being the worlds fastest production car, they have come a long way in a short time. They will run 9.50 at 150 mph+ and drive it to the track. Then your wife can use it all week for the daily driver.Smile They even have a sound package for the interior and exterior that can be set to produce the engine sound you want.

A lot of us old guys will never need it but for the younger guys on here building a new garage, leave an open 50 amp breaker spot in the electric panel.

I have to say, I fully disagree. For a couple reasons:
-The electric platforms in jr's are much more expensive. This is supposed to be grassroots elementary racing. And most start off with an old car with a used engine and it is pretty darned cheap. Let's not ruin that.
-The VERY same reasons the sounds and smells are exciting for we adults racing are EXACTLY the same sensory motivations for the kids. Don't take that away from them.
-In my experience with the jr's, the time between green lights is no longer than it is for super pro. There are longer exceptions in both classes and always will be.
-Jr's aren't just a sport for the kid. It's a family involvement. The electric introduction will obsolete the IC engines in jr's if allowed to race together. There will likely be little in the way of variability with the electrics. This takes out half of the experience of bracket racing....the finish line. Why finish line race if you know what the SOB will run every time?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
-In my experience with the jr's, the time between green lights is no longer than it is for super pro. There are longer exceptions in both classes and always will be.

Dead-on!

The "delay" is the parental unit needing to not only start the car, but be at the other end to tow it back.
Make the cars self starting.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I ran a junior when I was a kid. They absolutely take longer today than they had in the past. Tire covers, helping the kid stage, flipping the ignition off and on 100 times before staging...it's over the top!

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I hate dragsters, what is the purpose of flipping the ignition off and on? Honest question from someone that doesn't have a clue about running a Jr.

Posts: 329 | Location: observing the mayhem | Registered: December 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
I don't have a problem racing electric cars. My worry is that my motorhome that I basically saved most of my life to own will become obsolete in some way or another. Whether fuel is to expensive or unavailable, or they tax you to death on these things. I'm concerned.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
i think the purpose is to disengage the clutch, assumption anyway.

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
quote:

Dead-on!

The "delay" is the parental unit needing to not only start the car, but be at the other end to tow it back.
Make the cars self starting.

That simply should not be a delay at well run tracks. Everywhere I race, the second pair is running and at the burnout box or in front of it while the pair in front is staging. The cars are already warming, and time for taking the tires covers off regardless if they are removed in the lanes or after the burnout box. The burnouts take no time and they don't cross the starting line. All you have to do is look to see if the other car is ready to stage, and set the idle. the only time flipping the ignition is needed is if there is a delay with the pair in front and you are trying to keep the car at a reasonable temperature. If the idle mixture is correct, that isn't even needed. We won 4 track championships at 3 different tracks in the last 4 years doing nothing more complicated than what I just wrote.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
bucky - While there are several operations that do exactly what you described, at least locally there are many more that take waaaaay too long, imo.

There again i think dragsters take waaaaaay to long too...maybe biased.

We're getting off topic of the op....

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I,H.D. ..so you think Dragsters take longer: to do What?? Ever watch a PDRA qualifying session of T/D and T/S cars... sure looks like T/S cars take way longer to stage and finally run... just my two cents... I think a lot of time is spent waiting for the cars to clear the track at the other end regardless of class

Posts: 228 | Location: North Royalton Ohio US*** | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by I Hate Dragsters:
bucky - While there are several operations that do exactly what you described, at least locally there are many more that take waaaaay too long, imo.

Then don't blame the cars, or the parents. Blame the track. Tell them to get their stuff together. We pull up with the folks running the staging lanes tell us to.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZ:

50 amp? Try 200 Big Grin
The technology in the Tesla is far beyond any race car running today. The folks who figure that out won’t be beat. The whine of an electric motor doesn’t do it for fans. It’s like a slot car…. We grew out of those too!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4503 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
Reading this cracks me up.
So instead of having the noise of a IC junior engine you are swapping it for a loud contractor GAS generator with a blown out muffler to "Charge" the Jr or big car between rounds.
Just like all those "Electric Charging Stations" they are talking about adding that will be powered by huge diesel generators because the power grid can't support it.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense. Shake head

Going from the pot to the fire if you ask me.

It doesn't effect me, I just think it's funny.

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Mitchell:
I hate dragsters, what is the purpose of flipping the ignition off and on? Honest question from someone that doesn't have a clue about running a Jr.

It disengages the clutch. Once they hit a certain RPM they "Lock" in high gear until you pull them back or drop rpms low enough to disengage it. Another thing some do it for is to keep heat out of the motor. I don't personally know if this works but its another reason some do it. In theory it may make sense as you skip a fire in the engine and have extra methanol to cool.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: radracing_K273,

Posts: 6 | Location: Riner VA | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by I Hate Dragsters:

Then don't blame the cars, or the parents. Blame the track. Tell them to get their stuff together. We pull up with the folks running the staging lanes tell us to.

I agree 100%. If the track regulates it then it will not happen. Tire covers should be off in the staging lanes, start the car set the rpm and stage. Some just are slow to do everything but no different than some in other classes running thru the water backing up. 30 second burn out. checking gloves 10 times, staging battles. These happen in every class so before we bash the future of the sport we should understand what is actually going on with the cars and drivers.

Anyway off topic, so to get back on topic. I don't think electric cars is the answer to speed anything up. If is it taking someone that long to get a jr ready and stage they will find another reason to be slow no matter the power source. As far as noise yes this would change that but if it truly is some type of issue then require mufflers. Some have fun them but if they are required it evens the field. I personally don't think electric is a positive in jrs but to my limited knowledge eliminates atmosphere variables to there is an advantage. Best thought here is Matty box type set up so yes an advantage and if legal then you have to join to beat them but to me shouldn't be legal or should have their own class.

Posts: 6 | Location: Riner VA | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Not bashing the future of the sport. I and many of us were in their shoes at one time. I wish more made the step from jr to box/no-box/whatever when they're eligible.

Back to original topic...What's the environmental impact of an EV battery vs the impact of a general in a strictly race application?

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
nal topic...What's the environmental impact of an EV battery vs the impact of a general i

Wouldn't the smartest thing for JR's be to allow people to put dirt bike and 4 wheeler engines on them? Self contained units that would last forever?

Self starting....and can be made much much quieter.

As far as EV's are concerned, I don't see them being affordable for at least a decade or more. Let alone being able to #1 buy an EV, and #2 then justifying cutting it up to make a race vehicle.

And on that note, how much can you cut out of an EV? Isn't the frame of a tesla also the battery? This would mean no back halfing cars, and no narrowing rear ends I presume?

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Holytown:
quote:
nal topic...What's the environmental impact of an EV battery vs the impact of a general i

Wouldn't the smartest thing for JR's be to allow people to put dirt bike and 4 wheeler engines on them? Self contained units that would last forever?

Self starting....and can be made much much quieter.

As far as EV's are concerned, I don't see them being affordable for at least a decade or more. Let alone being able to #1 buy an EV, and #2 then justifying cutting it up to make a race vehicle.

And on that note, how much can you cut out of an EV? Isn't the frame of a tesla also the battery? This would mean no back halfing cars, and no narrowing rear ends I presume?

Great! But that's not on the parents nor the track to decide as the sanctioning bodies to decide. There are much better combinations than the oldest lawnmower engine design and much cheaper to boot. As far as quiet....let's just hold all the cars to the same standard then.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
So WTH is wrong with old school?

I agree EV is inevitable. I do not much good coming from it as advertised. Is the power and performance of it impressive? Yea. Will it help save the planet? IMO no it will just do damage of another type and looks like more of it. Will I be buying one? Not w/o a no way around it situation and by that I mean nothing else . Dang sure will never have one for a race car.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post