DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Edelbrock Buys Comp Cams
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Edelbrock Buys Comp Cams
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted
Just heard that Edelbrock purchased Comp Cams. They are in the process of completing the change over, all the paperwork has been signed. So that means that Edelbrock owns Lunati, Crane and Comp.

Bob

Posts: 3085 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
So Edelbrock sold last year. Who bought them?

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4507 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Barry,
As far as I know Chicago-based private equity firm Industrial Opportunity Partners (IOP) is who last acquired Edelbrock Corporation.

The new CEO came from ISN tools and the Accell group.

Joe

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks Joe. Kinda looks like they are doing a one stop shop deal? Makes you wonder who’s next...

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4507 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
whos is next is secondary concern IMO. Whats going to happen to quality of parts? We a;; know when big company invest million they start looking for ways to increase profit and quality is normally first victim.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Over the past few days there have been several trucks at Comp Cams removing miscellaneous parts and equipment and disposing of unwanted items such as old camshafts, sort of a house cleaning effort. To address the question about the future product quality at Comp, there is no way to predict how this will effect the product and services. I doubt that it will be adversely effected although Coleman is gone.

Who is next? Good question.

I'm waiting to hear who buys the NHRA, perhaps the same or a similar private equity group. Lots of changes in the wind, some good, some not so good. Life moves on.

Bob

Posts: 3085 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Investment companies is what happened to IHRA. Count on it, all investment people care about is profit period.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
The bad news is we loose the personal connection with the business. No more custom work. The sharp guys already left to work at other cam company’s. For instance- Bullet. The big money is not drag racers anyway. Off-road, Street etc... Remember Manufacture Midway? You could get anything repaired or purchased on the spot.

Raceless in California!

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Sorry to see Comp change hands, even though it was Edelbrock who (through a Private Equity Group) purchased them.

Bullet has the ability, willingness, staff and process to create custom camshafts, in this day and age that is a necessity for most serious racers the combinations and cam profile requirements are endless. I question that the "new Comp Cams" will follow that path, it's not in their nature, they are progressive but still pretty much a catalogue company. If it's listed in their catalogue, no problem. The last time I bought "Catalogue camshaft" was more than thirty years ago. I am very specific and know what I need, Bullet has always fulfilled that need.

Time will tell.

Bob

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
this is not a good thing...they seem to buy up their competitors in one swoop...hence eliminating any competion with their products.then they don't care about the help and quality.

Posts: 1425 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
You guys sure seem to 'know' a lot about what's going on.

For those interested in a little history lesson....virtually everyone at Bullet came from COMP - or Lunati - previously.

COMP grinds more custom cams in 2 days than Bullet does in a MONTH.

"Edelbrock" didn't BUY anything.... Edelbrock is owned by a private equity firm called IOP. Several of the IOP heads formed a subsidiary company - AND ALONG WITH RON COLEMAN - formed a new division of which Ron is one of 7 board members and will retain control of COMP's day to day operations.

Posts: 1 | Location: No Miss | Registered: January 31, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Thank you for that. Most here know who the group is and perhaps I was not clear. They bought quite a while back. Not sure what their plans are. The concern is as stated ; will it affect the custom side of CC? Hopefully not.
BTW, my best cam currently is a CC. None of us are saying anything bad about them.

https://www.aftermarketnews.co...p-performance-group/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BP758,

Raceless in California!

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Crane Cams stopped taking my stock orders & shipping about mid December as they were having a management meetings and to check back after the first of this year. As of 1/1/21 Comp Cams now owns Crane Cams. The investment group that owns Edelbrock etc. IOP is in Chicagoland > Evanston Il. I will know more when my Crane Cams contact person recovers from Covid. Luckily he still has his same position in the companies. Crane Cams will now be packaged and shipped as a Comp Cams product.

Posts: 1 | Location: Yonkers NY | Registered: January 08, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
http://www.racewinningbrands.eu/
RWB pretty much buying up everyone..

Raceless in California!

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Kinda odd that the 2 "in the know" posters are first-time posters with similar attitudes. One took a year before their first post and the other a couple of weeks...
Not trying to say anything except it's a he11 of a coincidence...

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4469 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Probably correct Dave and after all it’s clicks for cash..

Raceless in California!