New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home gym?
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
Time for me to get into some winter time exercise. We are about 25 minutes away from a gym. So that isn't always practical. Thinking about an elliptical and a weight machine deal. Any advice? Brands etc.
My son will be the other user. He is in high school and is an athlete. It needs to be save enough for him to be able to work out when he is alone. This is the problem for free weights for us. Funds are not unlimited. But I don't want to completely cheap out either.
Nordic track looks good for the elliptical.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6412 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I got the Total Gym, the one you see Chuck Norris and Christy Brinkley advertise. I really like it and it's quick and easy to use.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1472 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of McK_Racing
posted Hide Post
I had a Hoist 210 home gym for years. It worked great. Lots of exercises, and no need for a spotter. Check out their different models. Mine cost a grand new, but I found it used on Craigslist for much less.

Depending on your goals though, free weights are much better, with greater potential gains. To use them alone, get a power rack/stand and an incline/decline bench. They're adjustable with stops at the top and bottom of the movements, and have attachments for many exercises, so you can safely work out alone. Careful shopping can get everything you need for less than the home gym. Free weights themselves can be sourced through Craigslist, used sporting good stores, etc, and metal weights don't wear out.

Posts: 250 | Location: Northern Hemisphere | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
I use a weight machine with electrical resistance and a elliptical with power incline. They don't take up a lot of space, they're quiet, and super easy to use. My weight machine actually provides your workout sequence and changes the weight accordingly. FYI, don't place them close to a closet.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Until you can do 3 sets of 50 pushups, pull ups, crunches, squats don’t spend the money.If you can do these exercises you will be in shape ! Triceps presses also. Good luck

Posts: 10 | Location: Montville | Registered: February 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I am checking out local Craigslist. Plenty available for sure.
https://quadcities.craigslist....s?query=gym&sort=rel
I didn't see Christy Brinkley though. She could help me work out for sure.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6412 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Craigslist is the place to look for treadmills and ellipticals. I purchased both of my machines on Craigslist. They were originally $2500 machines that I picked up for $150 each. They were moving and needed to get rid of them. Don't go cheap on treadmills. Sole is a quality machine that's expensive in the stores but can be found at a fair price on Craigslist. As for weights, I do a lot of interval training with dumbbells and an exercise ball. You don't need heavy weights to start and the programs really work. Beach body on demand has a lot of programs like P90X that you can use to workout.

Posts: 67 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 11, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Picked up a Sole eliptical today from a Craigslist ad. $200. Much cheaper than new and in great shape.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo