New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trailer Weights
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted
I realize that an answer to the following question is dependent on the manufacturer but on average, what is the weight difference between a steel 26 foot long tag trailer the same version in aluminum?

I am in the market to buy a 26 foot long tag trailer where weight is a prime consideration. I know, a 26 foot trailer is an unusual length but it's perfect for my application.

Thanks for any responses.

Bob

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
If you don’t buy a top of the line aluminum I’d would not recommend that route....AKA T&E GOLDRUSH...INTECH would be the cheapest...IMO....would not let the weight be a deciding factor

Posts: 1259 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
just for a reference point the 34foot steel i just got is 6050LBS empty.

Posts: 1425 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of dragracer2757
posted Hide Post
not sure about a 26' but the 34'cargo mate aluminum is only 650lbs lighter than their 34' steel trailer all other options being the same

Posts: 62 | Location: old hickory tn | Registered: December 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Bob I’ve read 10/15 %. Might call our buddy in Redding..? I’m sure he knows.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4505 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
If trailers are anything like the aluminum water tanks I've dealt with, once the aluminum unit is built strong enough to not break apart, it will weigh the same as a steel one...

Posts: 121 | Location: Imperial, CA | Registered: September 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
My 34 foot Intech is just under 7000 lbs. as built and over 14,000 going down the road.

My 26' Classic was over 10,000 lbs. loaded with my Chevelle, a junior dragster and scooter.

My advice is buy an aluminum trailer.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Our 32' aluminum a few years ago, was 550 lbs lighter than steel and it flexed so bad we couldn't hardly open side door or rear door unless it was on pretty level ground. Sold it within a year.
I recommend steel unless, like posted earlier- you go Goldrush, T&E but they are high dollar/touring quality.

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
My 2003 Featherlite All aluminum (floor also) model 4926 24’ enclosed car hauler w/ 15” tires completely empty 3025#. No interior wall covering or cabinets. The only thing steel is the 4800# axle carriage.

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
The barn doors on the side of my trailer as well the ramp door open the same as the day I picked up my Intech trailer.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
And my advice from coming from a transmission shop, do not use a 1500 series truck to pull the 24-28 trailers. The 6L80, 4l60, 6r80, and 4r70w are not stout enough for long term pulling.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^ Agreed! Use a 1500 Ram with a 545rfe. Pulled my 24’ over 70k miles and has 165k on the clock.

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
just for a reference point the 34foot steel i just got is 6050LBS empty.

How.... my aluminum 34’ is 7200 I think empty

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1518 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
NoT SURE HOW SOME ALUMINUM TRAILERS are so heavy, Our old Gold rush 45' goose neck was only 6700# empty, Now ceiling was not but 6'. It had steel axle cradle and hitch.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
NoT SURE HOW SOME ALUMINUM TRAILERS are so heavy, Our old Gold rush 45' goose neck was only 6700# empty, Now ceiling was not but 6'. It had steel axle cradle and hitch.
I had a Cargo Mate aluminum 32' built. Seemed a little heavy pulling it home, it weighed a tick under 7000#. Sold it immediately, bought an ATC 32'- it is 4790# empty. Looked under the Cargo Mate, everything including frame rails was doubled. BTW the ATC pulls like a dream and has had no issues since 2013. Cool JB

Posts: 1146 | Location: Busy putting up crop circles | Registered: October 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Went back to my trailer build thread to check the weight...

My 34" Intech Trailer unloaded weighs 6820 lbs. with 907 lbs. tongue weight.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 329L:
And my advice from coming from a transmission shop, do not use a 1500 series truck to pull the 24-28 trailers. The 6L80, 4l60, 6r80, and 4r70w are not stout enough for long term pulling.

Aren't the 60's in the 1500 trucks?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toad1:
Our 32' aluminum a few years ago, was 550 lbs lighter than steel and it flexed so bad we couldn't hardly open side door or rear door unless it was on pretty level ground. Sold it within a year.
I recommend steel unless, like posted earlier- you go Goldrush, T&E but they are high dollar/touring quality.

That had to be an Optima! My 34' Motorsport that I had custom built (I went there every week and helped with the build) was all aluminum except the tongue. To this day every thing fits like from the day it was new, it was the best 34' trailer you've ever seen in your life hands down, $10,000 cabinet package, Girard full length extra wide awning, Marquis generator, you name it I had it. I even went as far as wiring the brakes with a better gauge wire to reduce resistance that 6 brakes creates. I got the deal of a lifetime when I purchased it (Lyle just happened to like me) and my brother still owns it today and it's actually worth more today than what I paid for it 15 years ago. You get what you pay for!!

Posts: 163 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: March 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Ron,
That is the brand. Not sure how the others they built turned out but the one I got was nasty and weak. Jack it up to get dragsters out and the wrinkles in the side panels changed as it flexed. Good trailer for maybe a couple snowmobiles (maybe!). Motorsport are like T&E, Intech and GoldRush, artwork in trailer building.

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post