New
Find
Notify
Tools

Standby gen sets
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Here in California we cannot get through a heat wave day without rolling brownouts. The system is archaic at best and no way up to standards. Can it support 440/240/120 volt systems? Hell no!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4524 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:
Here in California we cannot get through a heat wave day without rolling brownouts. The system is archaic at best and no way up to standards. Can it support 440/240/120 volt systems? Hell no!

The worst is yet to come. Y'all better start campaigning for someone who isn't a communist.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Just heard on the news today that half of the people who died from Hurricane Laura died from Carbon Monoxide from their generators.
You would think everyone knows to be careful.......

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4042 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
Progas,
Question:
I had 3 solar companies come to my house to do the home/install inspection recently, they all stated the same thing.

1st, no one can get an electric credit (sell back to grid, we/consumer can only generate 80% of our power usage), maybe that's something here in CT
2nd, when we added up ALL the costs (install/purchase panels and all equipment, monthly utility cost, etc) it cost MORE than I am paying now each month. Our break even for a solar panel install (all costs) was 13 years.
We talked to several roofing contractors they all said the same thing, 12-15 years we'll need a new roof which we didn't ADD to the price of the panels.

My question is how is it so cheap where you are?

I do see and hear folks that have them here in CT BUT they don't consider the price of install, loan or other wise.
To me it's like buying a car and saying it only costs me $50 month for fuel but don't consider the loan payment as part of the cost. So financially here CT it is NOT beneficial to consider them when the "total" price is considered.

stk 758 BP,
Stand by Genset:

As for a Standby gen set be sure to talk your local building department.
Here in Northwest CT we can't have more than a 120 gallon tank so they only last for a few days AND our State laws prohibit propane delivery during an emergency with power lines down so if you run out you are SOL.
My neighbor just went through this during our last 9 day outage a couple weeks ago, his Generac Standby lasted 4 days until no more propane.

Smile

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post