DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Laser pointer for judging finish line
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Laser pointer for judging finish line
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Hanging out bench racing while it was raining this past weekend the subject came up about a laser pointer that shines on the opponents car so you could tell your position relative to their's. Does anyone remember seeing something like this for sale several years back? I can't see how it would be helpful but no one could remember who made them.

Posts: 135 | Location: Marion, TX | Registered: July 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I do not know but I bet a laser pointer would be illegal. If you mounted a small spot light to do same they would see it and know where you are same as you do them.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4027 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
I remember people doing this in the 90's. Don't know if it was a store bought or home made item.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 743 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1402 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Yes remember seeing them advertized NHRA promptly outlawed them -wow imagine that-seems like an unfair advantage!

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 410 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Pfffft, most of the time I can't even locate the finish line, let alone try to zero in on a laser dot. Laughing Hard

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davidsracing:
I can't see how it would be helpful but no one could remember who made them.

You can't see how it would be helpful to know exactly where your car is in relation to your opponent?

I don't know how many times I have given it back .00x because when I found my spot at the starting line, I was relaxed, but at the finish line I was up on the wheel leaned forward. That 18" is the difference between a great job and a long wait to next week.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3162 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of MadMax4040
posted Hide Post
It is illegal, you cannot have a "track locator" tool or item on your car which is what they (NHRA) specifically determine those to be. They also state that tape, shoe polish, or any other mark on a door car side window is a track locator and make you remove that at NHRA events (bracket finals, divisional, nationals).

They did not force the removal of a giant dial in on a side window (opposite of the tower) or the brace bars for lexan windows however, so you can still get around those rules.

Posts: 28 | Location: Frisco, Tx | Registered: February 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
NHRA checks stuff at the bracket finals?

Posts: 522 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of The Hawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:
Originally posted by davidsracing:
I can't see how it would be helpful but no one could remember who made them.

You can't see how it would be helpful to know exactly where your car is in relation to your opponent?

I don't know how many times I have given it back .00x because when I found my spot at the starting line, I was relaxed, but at the finish line I was up on the wheel leaned forward. That 18" is the difference between a great job and a long wait to next week.

Not with anything I race. My opponent is typically becidede me for less then nothing....

lane weber

perfecting a better mousetrap

Posts: 160 | Location: Littleton, Colorado | Registered: November 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MadMax4040:
It is illegal, you cannot have a "track locator" tool or item on your car which is what they (NHRA) specifically determine those to be. They also state that tape, shoe polish, or any other mark on a door car side window is a track locator and make you remove that at NHRA events (bracket finals, divisional, nationals).

Where is this rule written?

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 743 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Laser Too obvious.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4509 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomR:
quote:
Originally posted by MadMax4040:

Where is this rule written?

It's not 100% clear, but I believe it would be covered under this paragraph of General Regulations, Section 21, 9:2 - Data Recorders:

Any device (mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, electrical, optical, etc.) other than OEM-type that assists in determining track location of the competitor’s own vehicle or opponent’s vehicle is prohibited. Only OEM-style mirrors, mounted in conventional fashion, permitted.

This would also make some of the mirrors out there illegal.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3162 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I know some of you are that good but most are doing good to get within a fender let alone a dot the size of a nickel.

Posts: 268 | Location: Irving, Texas | Registered: March 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of The Hawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mopar Traitor:
I know some of you are that good but most are doing good to get within a fender let alone a dot the size of a nickel.

You might be surprised. When I drove a dragster for a friend, some nights I could judge a .00 whatever stripe. Next night not even close. We all have those nights.

lane weber

perfecting a better mousetrap

Posts: 160 | Location: Littleton, Colorado | Registered: November 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I’m with Lane on that one. Sometimes I look like a hero and then I have the race in the bag and give it back by two thou.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5313 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
Giving it back a couple thou is like red-lighting; if you don’t do it occasionally, you aren’t being aggressive enough.

Tony Leonard

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
It is all fun and games until someone gets shot in the eye...with the laser...

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1220 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post