DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Tighten your belts and wear proper safety gear
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Tighten your belts and wear proper safety gear
 Login/Join
 
DRR Sportsman
posted
I know its been said time and time again but please wear you proper safety gear and wear it correctly.

Past weekend at track a guy lost control of his brand new to him car. Was taken out of track on flight for life. Was told belts were loose, no Hans devise, Wrong/missing padding on roll bars, and improper fire suit.

Have not heard of condition at this point but looking at car had he used the equipment properly this could have been avoided.


Stephen Liss jr

 
Posts: 329 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: April 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Guys name was Jeff Bailey

Broken pelvis, crushed lung, and very hurt neck I was told.


Stephen Liss jr

 
Posts: 329 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: April 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Sad thing that this even needs to be told to some.

Hey I am about as ****y as you get,but ****y and stupid are a ways apart if you stop and think for .01 seconds. Not being cold .It sucks anytime someone gets hurt in any sport.None the less when its result of not taking steps to protect your self with equipment thats readily available. Then its just stupid.

I see guys all the time running 150 or so leaning out of roll bar looking at opponent,with seat belts that don't really even need to be fastened they are so loose.

This sport does have dangers and thats what make it cool to do,but damn be smarter than object you are working with!

Hope Mr. Bailey recovers fully so he can continue to race. Maybe others will learn from his misfortune.




America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.
 
Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. Am I to assume he passed tech inspection before being allow on the track? I wish Mr. Bailey and his family the best, sounds like he is going to need it.


Illegitimi non carborundum
 
Posts: 2334 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Here comes my two cents, like it or not.

What I don't understand is guys, especially in Super Comp that have a really fast dragster and won't wear some type of head and neck restraint.

For most of them the race is developing out in front of you. What the hell do you have to look at? You're not turning your head. Buy a Hans or Necksgen or some other type of protection so when the OTHER guy slams on his brakes and turns in front of you then maybe you won't be killed or paralyzed.


Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......
 
Posts: 5302 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. Am I to assume he passed tech inspection before being allow on the track?


I’m sure he filled out the same 4x6 T+T card that I did when I was there on Saturday (this happened Sunday). Name, address, car make + model. Sign bottom that says they’re not responsible prior to it.

Heard he was only going to do a BO but he left the line very slowly and at 200 – 300’ out he was full throttle. I was told that it was a PM Vette.
 
Posts: 2453 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I know of one who lost his life to loose belts. Always tight enough that it takes effort to get a good breath. Give a little room under those belts and it scrambles your insides during a crash.


Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
 
Posts: 6390 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
I can even start to comment on just how many guys
unclip at the stripe that we have seen sitting and watching at the end. Still at 140 plus. It just boggles the mind. Especially with the shield goes up first.
 
Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
There are many cars out there that even with the belts tight, you can lean out in front of the roll cage. They do not keep you back in the seat. For some reason, the builders run the belts under the shoulder bar and thru the seat.


72 Nova "Hooptie"
 
Posts: 739 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Same situation, of which i can't understand. WHY in the ** do some of these guys not wear gloves at all with the street outlaws bunch.First thing i noticed. Dude, where are the gloves?. Probably never been in a fire.
 
Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the reminder every time, I also pass along these reminders.

But, the reality is, those of us that care about safety, will do most everything right every time we go down the track. Those that do not care about safety will not. It does not matter how many reminders they get, they just choose to ignore it.

We will keep trying, I welcome being reminded. And Vern is right, those that are not using a neck device of some sort (including me) should get on the band wagon and get one....AND USE IT.

Thanks to all who chip in on safety.

NOTE: Many bad things happen in the pits and staging lanes, maybe more so than out on the track.

Pay attention to the rules that apply to the pits and lanes.
 
Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
What I don't understand is guys, especially in Super Comp that have a really fast dragster and won't wear some type of head and neck restraint.


To be honest, I don't really know what they do. The rules don't say that I need one, so I've never looked into them.

From afar, they aren't cheap and look like a hassle. If I were to run my car wide open on the 1/4 mile, I would need one.


Tony Leonard
 
Posts: 3153 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
What I don't understand is guys, especially in Super Comp that have a really fast dragster and won't wear some type of head and neck restraint.


To be honest, I don't really know what they do. The rules don't say that I need one, so I've never looked into them.

From afar, they aren't cheap and look like a hassle. If I were to run my car wide open on the 1/4 mile, I would need one.


In very basic terms,they keep your head from snapping back and forth on impact. That snap is what tears the brain/skull loose from the spinal cord and kills a person instantly (or it could sever the carotid artery and you can bleed to death in a matter of seconds).
 
Posts: 118 | Location: Imperial, CA | Registered: September 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fivecentcharlie:
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
What I don't understand is guys, especially in Super Comp that have a really fast dragster and won't wear some type of head and neck restraint.


To be honest, I don't really know what they do. The rules don't say that I need one, so I've never looked into them.

From afar, they aren't cheap and look like a hassle. If I were to run my car wide open on the 1/4 mile, I would need one.


In very basic terms,they keep your head from snapping back and forth on impact. That snap is what tears the brain/skull loose from the spinal cord and kills a person instantly (or it could sever the carotid artery and you can bleed to death in a matter of seconds).


Basilar skull fracture, that is what killed Earnhardt and several other people in various sports.
 
Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR Trophy
Picture of 2doggs
posted Hide Post
Just go to Youtube and look up HANS device crash test.


Why do you ask, 2doggs racing??????
 
Posts: 43 | Location: Grand Jct., CO | Registered: October 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
ttt
 
Posts: 329 | Location: observing the mayhem | Registered: December 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Where did this accident happen?
 
Posts: 181 | Location: COLUMBUS | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of CURTIS REED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
If I were to run my car wide open on the 1/4 mile, I would need one.


At what speed do you feel safe hitting the wall head on? That’s how I considered it just before I bought mine.

Curtis



____________________________
2017 and 2018 Osage Casinos Tulsa Raceway Park No-Box Champion

2018 Div4 Goodguys Hammer award winner
 
Posts: 2928 | Location: KIEFER, OK. | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WILDBILL:
Where did this accident happen?

Great Lakes Dragaway
 
Posts: 2453 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Beck:
quote:
Originally posted by fivecentcharlie:
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
What I don't understand is guys, especially in Super Comp that have a really fast dragster and won't wear some type of head and neck restraint.


To be honest, I don't really know what they do. The rules don't say that I need one, so I've never looked into them.

From afar, they aren't cheap and look like a hassle. If I were to run my car wide open on the 1/4 mile, I would need one.


In very basic terms,they keep your head from snapping back and forth on impact. That snap is what tears the brain/skull loose from the spinal cord and kills a person instantly (or it could sever the carotid artery and you can bleed to death in a matter of seconds).


Basilar skull fracture, that is what killed Earnhardt and several other people in various sports.


Drag racing?


Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
 
Posts: 6390 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3  
 

DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Tighten your belts and wear proper safety gear

© DragRaceResults.com 2024