Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Seat Belts
 Login/Join
 
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I will say it is odd that OEM's can make belts that are effective for 30 years or more....sun or no sun.


Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
 
Posts: 6421 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
you've chosen to live and race in that part of the country.


I'm not complaining, just stating the facts. Wink

I've had a great year of racing! Been in the money rnds. 7 of 8 races, only one 2nd rnd. loss & no 1st rnd. losses. Big Grin

I'm not asking for NHRA handouts/welfare for anything.

USA


1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436
 
Posts: 2612 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
I had my belts re-certed in late JULY , they are good till DEC 2022. The webbing is just as nice as the ones I sent them in. Easy to adjust before and after, that's why I use CROW... Certs are there for your safety , If you cant afford it you need to rethink your hobby...


HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!
 
Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
B King, remember your trying to make sense with a full on basket case who thinks he is the answer to everything
 
Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
I will say it is odd that OEM's can make belts that are effective for 30 years or more....sun or no sun.


ever wonder how that 20-30 year old OEM seat belt will hold up in a 200+ mph crash ??
 
Posts: 785 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
how about all these 50+ year old Camaros, Novas, Chevelles and Mustangs running in excess of 100mph with 50+ year old lap belts. Let me know how that works out for the driver in crash near the finish line.

The harness 2 year expiration rule has always been the #1 issue with the clueless, the broke dycks and the test/tune crowd. I don't know a single serious racer, whether it be bracket or class racer that has issue with the harness rule or any safety rule for that matter.

What we do is DANGEROUS and those that forget that or refuse to acknowledge that by disregarding the safety rules WILL pay the price if they are ever in an on track crash/fire.

Starting at 5:45 says it all

https://youtu.be/rm3DFI9ERlY

So again...

quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
If you cant afford $50 to $100 to get you belts recerted every 2 years you need to find a new hobby. belts, chassis certs, licenses are just part of racing like oil, spark plugs and entry fees


quote:
Originally posted by J178RED:
I had my belts re-certed in late JULY , they are good till DEC 2022. The webbing is just as nice as the ones I sent them in. Easy to adjust before and after, that's why I use CROW... Certs are there for your safety , If you cant afford it you need to rethink your hobby...




quote:
Originally posted by 50fordsst:
You know 1320racer you could be a little more positive about this request. All you ever do is present the negative. I think it's a good idea and makes a lot of since. Think of the good will it would bring.

as I suspected, my new internet forum friend here Bob Richmond, NHRA super street racer, competed this year at exactly one track, vegas, last month!
 
Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Every racer should watch this video, it does not matter how slow or fast your car is, shyt can happen on any pass

"What we do is DANGEROUS and those that forget that or refuse to acknowledge that by disregarding the safety rules WILL pay the price if they are ever in an on track crash/fire."

Starting at 5:45 says it all

https://youtu.be/rm3DFI9ERlY

This off season I am spending $3500 on my car on 2 safety upgrades both money well spent IMO. A new MW CV driveshaft and a secondary hand brake system. I run 230 mph plus and know of 3 cars slower than mine that lost the brakes last year and went off the end of the track, one of them destroyed the car.
 
Posts: 2451 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
Every racer should watch this video, it does not matter how slow or fast your car is, shyt can happen on any pass

"What we do is DANGEROUS and those that forget that or refuse to acknowledge that by disregarding the safety rules WILL pay the price if they are ever in an on track crash/fire."

Starting at 5:45 says it all

https://youtu.be/rm3DFI9ERlY

This off season I am spending $3500 on my car on 2 safety upgrades both money well spent IMO. A new MW CV driveshaft and a secondary hand brake system. I run 230 mph plus and know of 3 cars slower than mine that lost the brakes last year and went off the end of the track, one of them destroyed the car.


I just did basically the same thing while waiting for my engine in the middle of the summer although I already had the hand brake. I upgraded to M/W brakes and did the Goethe driveline. My Strange brakes worked just not as well and while I may have never had a driveline break, the CV setup is just one more level of safety.

If you can't afford a couple hundred every 2 years for new belts or even less for a recert, you are for sure in the wrong sport.
 
Posts: 634 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TonyB6255:
If you can't afford a couple hundred every 2 years for new belts or even less for a recert, you are for sure in the wrong sport.

Right Quoted for the truth. Broke dycks need not reply!
 
Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TonyB6255:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
Every racer should watch this video, it does not matter how slow or fast your car is, shyt can happen on any pass

"What we do is DANGEROUS and those that forget that or refuse to acknowledge that by disregarding the safety rules WILL pay the price if they are ever in an on track crash/fire."

Starting at 5:45 says it all

https://youtu.be/rm3DFI9ERlY

This off season I am spending $3500 on my car on 2 safety upgrades both money well spent IMO. A new MW CV driveshaft and a secondary hand brake system. I run 230 mph plus and know of 3 cars slower than mine that lost the brakes last year and went off the end of the track, one of them destroyed the car.


I just did basically the same thing while waiting for my engine in the middle of the summer although I already had the hand brake. I upgraded to M/W brakes and did the Goethe driveline. My Strange brakes worked just not as well and while I may have never had a driveline break, the CV setup is just one more level of safety.

If you can't afford a couple hundred every 2 years for new belts or even less for a recert, you are for sure in the wrong sport.


I also added a air launcher chute system for both packs, more of a convenience thing for packing the chutes, no dam pilot chute spring to deal with, but still safety related.
 
Posts: 2451 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul S/Q:
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
I will say it is odd that OEM's can make belts that are effective for 30 years or more....sun or no sun.


ever wonder how that 20-30 year old OEM seat belt will hold up in a 200+ mph crash ??


Weren’t designed for it in the first place and thus not a valid point


Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
 
Posts: 6421 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I really don’t know. Are harness failures common at outlaw tracks?


Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
 
Posts: 6421 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:


This off season I am spending $3500 on my car on 2 safety upgrades both money well spent IMO. A new MW CV driveshaft and a secondary hand brake system. I run 230 mph plus and know of 3 cars slower than mine that lost the brakes last year and went off the end of the track, one of them destroyed the car.


I agree I think the secondary hand brake system is a good investment. I did it to my old altered years ago even before NHRA changed the rules to allow it. (Can not understand why they did not allow it back then?) One thing the hand brake has longer handle more leverage and will hit the brakes pretty hard. My hand brake was rear wheels only and could easily lock them up. The foot brake was all four wheels. The Mark Williams CV shaft sounds like a good idea to.

I do think the 2 year belt rule is stupid and nothing more than a way to scam more money. Same as some of the other certifications. I think the rule was introduced because of money kickbacks or lobbying by belt manufacturer and not as a safety issue. Certainly can afford it but that is not the point. I do keep my belts up to date and follow the rules like them or not.


https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion
 
Posts: 4065 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Remember folks when you are dealing with NHRA, you are dealing with corporate America. Along with that comes lawyers and insurance companies.

The seat belt rule is simply risk mitigation on their part. What this does is take one more thing out of the equation for them to have to pay out a claim on in case of a accident resulting in serious injury or a death.
 
Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
no reason to extend certs, licenses, membership fees. etc. The NHRA had a full season of racing whether or not you participated.


Well that makes it easy then as I don't give a flying F U C K about the NHRA!
 
Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chasracer:
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
no reason to extend certs, licenses, membership fees. etc. The NHRA had a full season of racing whether or not you participated.


Well that makes it easy then as I don't give a flying F U C K about the NHRA!


LOL! Dancing Cat


1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436
 
Posts: 2612 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by Paul S/Q:
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
I will say it is odd that OEM's can make belts that are effective for 30 years or more....sun or no sun.


ever wonder how that 20-30 year old OEM seat belt will hold up in a 200+ mph crash ??


Weren’t designed for it in the first place and thus not a valid point


But your comparison to OEM belts IS valid?


Tony Leonard
 
Posts: 3173 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:



I know of 3 cars slower than mine that lost the brakes last year and went off the end of the track, one of them destroyed the car.


been there , done that , 16 years ago ........fortunately even though our car was destroyed , his seat belts and Hans device saved him from injury ..... since then every car we've had has had a secondary hand brake in it..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Paul S/Q,
 
Posts: 785 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
I agree that safety equipment is a necessity and that it should be in good working order, but you should have a conversation with Dennis Ridgeway who has sat in on some of the SFI requirement meetings. It's far more about the money than the safety. We manage our own tires okay, and they are as big of a safety concern as anything on our cars.



ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
Posts: 560 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
he's far from the authority nor anyone I would listen to based on who he calls a friend. makes a nice diaper just doesn't fit worth a shyt!
 
Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3  
 


© DragRaceResults.com 2024