DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Powder coating dragster panels
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder coating dragster panels
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Is it a good idea to powder coat my dragster panels? I can’t much information on it and was concerned with how well it will hold up? Anyone with experience doing this?

James Stringer

Posts: 36 | Location: Georgia | Registered: November 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I used to work at a place that did powder coating mostly to industrial hydraulic tanks. If done right, it holds up well. I was never impressed with the look of the surface finish. But someone on this board did it and cut and buffed the powder paint until it has a really nice look. In my experience it is thicker, and thus heavier.....if that is a concern on your car. If you do both sides, your fasteners will fit differently, and thus you will have to adjust the springs.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6410 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
We powder coat ours..Usually put paint over it but we do it because the powder underneath is very durable and if the pant chips it wont usually bother the powder so it wont go down to the metal. The only downfall would be not having flat panels to begin with.

Dont have any good pictures but this is our newest car which is still just in powder

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 990 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
That actually looks really good

James Stringer

Posts: 36 | Location: Georgia | Registered: November 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 7110
posted Hide Post
My Yancer car had gloss white powder coated body panels (looked similar to Al's photo above) and held up great for the 17 years I had it, and didn't have to give it velvet-glove handling, e.g., removing decal glue, etc. Would do it again for sure.

Posts: 1598 | Location: AZ | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I would not powder coat anything on my car. Too hard to remove the stuff when you need to weld bracket or anything else.
And even harder to touch up to make it look nice if you have to.

This is along the lines of Paint or Wrap to me nothing beats paint.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4026 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of smashm
posted Hide Post
Last new dragster I had built was powder coated. My expectation was that it would have the same finish as paint, it didn't. We pulled it apart & painted it in my shop.

Posts: 68 | Location: Southwest Florida | Registered: June 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post