DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Dealer Bought Bracket Cars
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dealer Bought Bracket Cars
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
We have a good many dealer bought muscle cars bracket racing at our track in both Sportsman & Pro classes. The majority seem to be in Pro, I've ran a couple in time runs. I thought one that I ran was the new Corvette & my son told me it was a McLaren, LOL! Anyway, the Mopar's seem to be the majority & in no particular order, followed by the Mustangs, Corvettes & Camaros. Most are 10 sec. rides, with some dipping into the 9's; they seem to be 1st round DUCKS in eliminations. Anyone else seeing this trend at your tracks?

Here's one example of a Demon I ran in a time run. The only reason I bring it up is because they had started a conversation up with me in the staging lanes afterwards. The one stated he had video of the run on his phone. They were impressed by how fast my car was & the wheely before they had even moved off the starting line. The time slip will explain what happened, I got a chuckle out of it. I was impressed with its ET & MPH.

2BKING HMMMM

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2548 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Just glad they're showing up to keep the track open. Hopefully someone will explain how bracket racing works to them, so they can get hooked and keep our sport going!

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
If I run those numbers in my race car, I'll get tossed out, but if you spend $100K on a street car, 9's @ 150 are okay with zero chassis / safety requirements.
Weird.
I ain't mad, just perplexed at the *HRA's policies.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1661 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
We have a good many dealer bought muscle cars bracket racing at our track in both Sportsman & Pro classes. The majority seem to be in Pro, I've ran a couple in time runs. I thought one that I ran was the new Corvette & my son told me it was a McLaren, LOL! Anyway, the Mopar's seem to be the majority & in no particular order, followed by the Mustangs, Corvettes & Camaros. Most are 10 sec. rides, with some dipping into the 9's; they seem to be 1st round DUCKS in eliminations. Anyone else seeing this trend at your tracks?

Here's one example of a Demon I ran in a time run. The only reason I bring it up is because they had started a conversation up with me in the staging lanes afterwards. The one stated he had video of the run on his phone. They were impressed by how fast my car was & the wheely before they had even moved off the starting line. The time slip will explain what happened, I got a chuckle out of it. I was impressed with its ET & MPH.

2BKING HMMMM

Show your run side for comparison

Posts: 1625 | Location: UsA | Registered: October 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T172JR:
quote:

2BKING HMMMM

Show your run side for comparison

I very rarely share my slips, but the below topic will give you an idea of what the car runs with 2 or 3 slips. Wink

https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/foru...0760912/m/3507034996

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2548 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
If I run those numbers in my race car, I'll get tossed out, but if you spend $100K on a street car, 9's @ 150 are okay with zero chassis / safety requirements.
Weird.
I ain't mad, just perplexed at the *HRA's policies.

I'm glad to see the NHRA doing SOMETHING to encourage fresh participation. Like it or not, a modern car with engineered crumple zones, seatbelt pretensioners and a dozen or so airbags is probably WAY safer in a crash than a stock late 60's - early 70's Camaro or Nova at the same speed.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 630 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
We have a good many dealer bought muscle cars bracket racing at our track in both Sportsman & Pro classes. The majority seem to be in Pro, I've ran a couple in time runs.

glad to see the NHRA doing SOMETHING to encourage fresh participation. Like it or not, a modern car with engineered crumple zones, seatbelt pretensioners and a dozen or so airbags is probably WAY safer in a crash than a stock late 60's - early 70's Camaro or Nova at the same speed.

Do you think they might have standard equipped selectable traction control??……… asking for a friend.

Posts: 2462 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Lou, he's skeered to show his side of the slip because his shytbox's performance is pathetic for powered supplied by a procharged engine.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, I've been seeing more late model musclecars entering brackets. However, I have seen a LOT more being entered in test and tune/grudge races. Some have manual transmissions, which doesn't help them be competitive in brackets, especially for those without extensive experience. They sure are fast though, except on those passes that they are not. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The track should let the ducks race the ducks first round so they have more fun and at least one of them wins.

Nothing more discouraging for a new guy than showing up all excited just to get beat continuously by a 70 year old that never got out of the beginner class.

Posts: 290 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Ticket:
The track should let the ducks race the ducks first round so they have more fun and at least one of them wins.

Nothing more discouraging for a new guy than showing up all excited just to get beat continuously by a 70 year old that never got out of the beginner class.
You had to bring Ed into the conversation didn't you! Take your pick,duck or old man that never got out of the beginners class...

Posts: 329 | Location: observing the mayhem | Registered: December 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Mitchell:
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Ticket:

You had to bring Ed into the conversation didn't you! Take your pick,duck or old man that never got out of the beginners class...

Cut him a break at least he figured out he could not drive and retired.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4015 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
says the club racer where a .100 bulb is killing it and the same clueless moron that ain't got 1 big $ check nor 1 Wally. Meanwhile, I'll be back in my Firebird this season turning on lamps and winning races!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Many that show up at test & tune or for a regular bracket race are having FUN. Yes they might be early round ducks but they don't care, they are having fun and making memories. Thy can come through the gate at a local track and drop $100 or so and have a lot of fun. Any other "experience" type entertainment is going to cost a lot more. It seems that most racers seem to have forgotten the fun factor.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
We have a good many dealer bought muscle cars bracket racing at our track in both Sportsman & Pro classes. The majority seem to be in Pro, I've ran a couple in time runs.

glad to see the NHRA doing SOMETHING to encourage fresh participation. Like it or not, a modern car with engineered crumple zones, seatbelt pretensioners and a dozen or so airbags is probably WAY safer in a crash than a stock late 60's - early 70's Camaro or Nova at the same speed.

Do you think they might have standard equipped selectable traction control??……… asking for a friend.

M & M,

I'm sure they do have selectable traction control; it doesn't bother me. Wink What's your opinion along with your imaginary friend's opinion on the question?

2BKING Smile

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
Many that show up at test & tune or for a regular bracket race are having FUN. Yes they might be early round ducks but they don't care, they are having fun and making memories. Thy can come through the gate at a local track and drop $100 or so and have a lot of fun. Any other "experience" type entertainment is going to cost a lot more. It seems that most racers seem to have forgotten the fun factor.

Thank you and amen.

Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:I'm sure they do have selectable traction control; it doesn't bother me. What's your friend's opinion on the question?

He was thinking, if they can use it he’d install it also…….

Posts: 2462 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Retaining walls are going to laugh at the 4800 lb. car moving 150+, God help you if you're in the other lane in a 2500 lb. ride.

On YouTube, there is a "Tesla Plaid Channel" documenting this guy who kept getting hassled for going low 9's at 150+....first he was not to run it, then he was okay as long as he didn't ET under 10.00, then by magic, and after a factory "update", he was NHRA allowed to run it all out, BUT, it would no longer run 150 MPH, just 149.

Point being, he was already involved in a crash, and soooooo clueless about the potential for that incident to be a real disaster.

Oh yeah, if the full NHRA safety crew isn't on hand when the crash occurs, GOOD LUCK getting extracted from the vehicle, 99% of facilities don't have the equipment to deal with the alloys involved in the "safety cage" portion of a modern vehicle. Lots of Titanium and HSLA metals in the structures.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1661 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:I'm sure they do have selectable traction control; it doesn't bother me. What's your friend's opinion on the question?

He was thinking, if they can use it he’d install it also…….

Sent to me by a friend. Wink

9:11 TRACTION CONTROL
Any type of traction-control device, electronic or mechanical, is
prohibited. A traction-control device is any unit or system that
uses live data to control functions of the vehicle, such as tire
slip, which are not controlled by the driver. These devices are,
but not limited to, timing control based on wheel, driveline, or
engine acceleration, braking control, throttle control, tire-shake
meters, vertical acceleration meters, misfire control, stutter
box, relays, and/or rpm-activated chips.

2BKING's traction control(s) works pretty darn well according to his friend & needs no additional device. I'm sure you & your friend doesn't need it. Let the Street Legal guys/gals have their fun. If it bugs you two that much, protest it & see what it gets you; nothing! Wink

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Pay $50,000 to $100,000 for a "factory" car or pay $50,00 to $100,000 to a drag race car builder.....what's the difference?

Buying a ready made racecar doesn't quarantine you can win a round......Many/most people that buy ready made cars have to hire or birth a driver to win anything.....

At least the "factory" built car doesn't need a truck and trailer to get to the track....AND you can drive it around and have fun on the street....

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4466 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post