DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Auto club raceway changing to 1/2 mile track
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Auto club raceway changing to 1/2 mile track
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Has anyone seen the internet story about changes to Auto Club raceway in Fontana. It shows a rendering of plans submitted to the City of San Bernardino for a new 1/2 mile track very similar to Bristol, but in the rendering there is no drag strip shown. Maybe we all need to have a look or find out if there is going to be a drag strip if this plan goes through. Sorry I don't know how to link the story. Maybe someone can help with that.

Posts: 146 | Location: california | Registered: November 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
The plan I saw had the drag strip right next to the 1/2 mile oval

Posts: 2434 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The long black line at the top could be, if that's what you are talking about, but all the other dark areas are structures. The 1/2 mile oval would be black if that signifies pavement.The long straight road at the left side looks like it could be a drag strip. I'm assuming the right side of the rendering is Cherry Ave. Railroad tracks at the top. Current strip is not there.

Posts: 146 | Location: california | Registered: November 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
The plan I saw had the drag strip right next to the 1/2 mile oval

Well I thought it was the drag strip but there is no wall or RR tracks being shown it must not be. It would really suck for all the westies if they killed the drag strip. When I left SoCal in 1995 my local choices was LACR and Bakersfield

Posts: 2434 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Why not till this plays out before you get your panties in a wad

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
That entire facility is HUGE. There is no reason whatsoever for them to eliminate the drag strip to make the circle track smaller. Unless they are planning on adding tens of thousands of square feet of buildings for some reason, the drag strips takes up a tiny portion of the property.

Posts: 121 | Location: Imperial, CA | Registered: September 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TD5023
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:

Well I thought it was the drag strip but there is no wall or RR tracks being shown it must not be. It would really suck for all the westies if they killed the drag strip. When I left SoCal in 1995 my local choices was LACR and Bakersfield

It looks to me like the top of that picture only goes as far as the current oval infield. The lot in the upper right is the current motor coach parking area (according to Google Maps). That means it only shows as far north as turns 1 and 4, so the drag strip is way out of the picture.

Posts: 33 | Location: Davenport, IA | Registered: April 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Finally more parking for the dragstrip and maybe room for some amenities as well over there. If one chooses the optimist approach which I am

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 990 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Some big plans in the works

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post