New
Find
Notify
Tools

2020-21 DURAMAX...
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Anybody sporting one of the new L5P duramax’s....looking for opinions.....

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
My buddy has a 48’ car hauler lq and loves it over his previous ‘04 Cummins dually... my neighbor has one also has a 38’ fifth wheel and has nothing but good things to say, had an ‘05 duramax before...not crazy about the price, both of them are 4x4 one GMC Denali the other is a LTZ Chevy....

Posts: 69 | Location: area 51 | Registered: December 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I love mine pulls my 32 footer like it not back there the engine runs a lot smoother than my 2018 That I had.

Posts: 14 | Location: illinois | Registered: July 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
I got a 2019 with the l5p and I am pretty happy with it. Going from a 2005 310hp/520tq to 444hp/910t is pretty dramatic. Pulls my 32 ft 12k trailer like its not back there.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1830 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
We looked at the 20s and opted for the big $$$ savings and bought the 2019.
Third Duramax for us, all have been great.

Go to YOUTUBE and search for the Gail Banks series about the latest DURAMAX.

Banks loves it. That might be the only opinion you need.

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't buy a piece of bubble gum from GM, scumbag traitors moved operations to china.

You're sending future generations of American kids down the river buying from GM.

Buy an older Duramax, bigger cab - truck, assembled by Americans.

You don't want a truck that smells like a Harbor Freight store anyway.

Why adapt your children to serfdom?

The snowball downhill to hell.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
so it looks like only one that replied actually has a 2020-21 Duramax Roll Eyes

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted December 06, 2020 09:31 AM Hide Post
so it looks like only one that replied actually has a 2020-21 Duramax

My point was the BANKS YOUTUBE series. Gail Banks offers up info and testing on the latest version, all the way to what will break it.

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
A guy I pitted with a few years, I did engines and transmissions for, had to leave his at a dealership in Texas, on his way back from Pomona. Rent a truck to get his trailer and race car home, after racing for the Super Pro world championship, representing Div 2.

The truck wasn't driven back to Florida from the dealership in Texas, a week or so later either.

china Hell ride.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
So it’s OK to race a Chevy...gotcha

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of PineApple Express Racing
posted Hide Post
I have a 2020 3500 4x4 dually. I got a hell of a deal trading my 2016 dually. The difference is eye opening. The 20 has power to spare and brakes with it. The exhaust brake is not a hard as my 16 but I haven't used it on a large hill. I took my 48 foot in a first thru Vegas town drive and I couldn't even tell it was there. I hate driving it in town, the 10 speed trans is well worth it. The camera system (Yes I bought the "wired") trailer camera also includes the mirror cams its well worth that with the clear views and its also great. With a 48 foot tri axel the TMPS wasn't working very well. I plan on getting that done. When it works it will give the trailer tire pressure AND the tire temps. The bed comes with the pockets for the 5th or GN. I bought the B&D ball as the handle was better.

Here is my 48 foot trailer hooked up
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MYJ3vzQpU6g9z5AR9

This is the wired GM trailer camera view. The ramp is open and you can see the car ramps folded.

Chuck
PAE
https://photos.app.goo.gl/a7mPtZPx5pzLGvoUA

Posts: 113 | Location: Las Vegas USA | Registered: July 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
I bought a new 2011 2500mHD 4wd CC with the new engine and new def system. Over the next 3 years I had 17 service calls to repair all the stuff that went bad from glow plugs to fuel filter housing, TCM, injectors, wheel sensors, etc. 8 of those service calls were for glow plugs cause they would only replace them as they went bad. Since then I have had no problems and I'm still driving it. I will never buy a first year model again.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PineApple Express Racing:
I have a 2020 3500 4x4 dually. I got a hell of a deal trading my 2016 dually. The difference is eye opening. The 20 has power to spare and brakes with it. The exhaust brake is not a hard as my 16 but I haven't used it on a large hill. I took my 48 foot in a first thru Vegas town drive and I couldn't even tell it was there. I hate driving it in town, the 10 speed trans is well worth it. The camera system (Yes I bought the "wired") trailer camera also includes the mirror cams its well worth that with the clear views and its also great. With a 48 foot tri axel the TMPS wasn't working very well. I plan on getting that done. When it works it will give the trailer tire pressure AND the tire temps. The bed comes with the pockets for the 5th or GN. I bought the B&D ball as the handle was better.

This is the wired GM trailer camera view. The ramp is open and you can see the car ramps folded.

Chuck
PAE

I'm not much of a new vehicle guy. I tend to let others take that initial hit financially and take it from there with a vehicle that has most of the capabilities and features of the new ones. However, those do sound like really great features for trailer towing. The ability to just see is so important for trailer towing safety.
No I'm not rushing out to buy a $70k truck. But they sure sound appealing!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by PineApple Express Racing:

Chuck
PAE

I'm not much of a new vehicle guy. I tend to let others take that initial hit financially and take it from there with a vehicle that has most of the capabilities and features of the new ones. However, those do sound like really great features for trailer towing. The ability to just see is so important for trailer towing safety.
No I'm not rushing out to buy a $70k truck. But they sure sound appealing!

The only thing I want in a new truck is those sweet air conditioned seats. I ain’t paying 70k for it though. My 2002 duramax and my old 91 short bed do all I ask them to do, and are in too good of shape to consider getting rid of. Will probably have them 20+ More years

Mikey

Posts: 1708 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post