DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Four-Wide and Hobbyists
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Four-Wide and Hobbyists
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Just my $.02.

"The truth is that the description of the word hobby is one which is a pursuit outside of one’s regular occupation; Merriam-Webster’s definition, not mine, but I have to agree."

https://dragracingedge.com/the...e-hobbyists-4-10-19/

Posts: 154 | Location: Beaver Springs, PA | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
To me, this seemed like a whole lot of chest thumping over nothing. I think Smith has the potential to be a duschnozzle. But I don't know that there was any reason for Johnson to get his shorts in a wad over Smith referring to those who do not make their living at racing as hobbyist. Do you do it for fun, as a passion and do you not rely on it to put food on the table? Sounds like a hobby to me. We can argue what the IRS defines a hobby as. But really I couldn't care less what their definition is for this conversation.
Seemed like manufactured drama to me.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6413 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of sammy christian
posted Hide Post
Steve Johnson has been irrelevant for a while now.

6.41@221 (so far)
4.11@178
off the shelf/built it myself

Posts: 82 | Location: Amherst, Ny | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
Bucky hit the nail on the head: Manufactured Drama!

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Smith/Johnson feud online? Well Matt Smith is being vocal and I get it. Johnson complaining he can’t run that fast with a Suzuki and wants the Powers to give them weight. If they listen or possibly have a case then the other bikes get weight. In S and SS , A class car runs slow for a year or so.... runs the class average ET backwards, sends letter to The Powers complaining they can’t run as fast, Powers reviews and agrees- takes HP off ( weight) and ta da! Instant hero car. HP with a pen! When was the last time we made less HP? Really?? There is a loophole in the system! Fix it please! Ok I’m done...carry on..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BP758,

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4519 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Drama crap definitely .Reminds me of TA/D A/fuel and Blown alky guys. Both of which can now run 5--teens if they get tune up right. I am sure after some crying a rule change will happen then the other sides turn.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4203 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of fatpack
posted Hide Post
Pro Stock motorcycle doesn't interest me at all. All the other pro classes have a cubic inch limit doesn't matter what brand you run. In PSM V twins are 160 cu in Suzuki is limited to 110. There isn't any incentive for anyone to make improvements because after spending a bunch of time and money to go faster, you get "adjusted" back to even the field!

Walt

Posts: 56 | Location: Sykesville | Registered: August 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I did read that the top 4 in points are harley's. Is it worth a strategy to suck at the beginning of the season and hope for an adjustment for your brand? I dunno. It's all kinda dumb.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6413 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Just trying to create some interest in Pro Stock Motorcycle.

If there was ever a survey of fans,I bet it would show that most people could care less about that class,but they continue to show it on tv.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Since Harley bought NHRA Pro Stock Motorcycle class and made the rules for themselves I could care less about it. At one point the Harley's were allowed almost twice the cubic inches, four valve heads, fuel injection, billet cases and more while Suzuki's were required to run 1970's technology and blocks.

If they want to have a legitimate class then it is _ _ _ cubic inches, _ _ _ weight, _ valves per head and all rules are same for all brands. You make a set rules to allow any brand to have a huge advantage this is what you get. A joke. Then NHRA announcers talk about how great those Harley's run? WTF? They should they have all the rules advantages possible. Could not be any better unless they wrote the rules for themselves. Wait they did write them. Why don't the announcers talk about the rules differences? Hmmmm.

What about Pro Stock Cars? What if they allowed Ford (or who ever is the highest bidder) to have 900 Cubic inches and Nitrous while all others are required to run 500 Cubic inches. Well those Fords would fly but it would soon be a one brand race and joke of a class. Like Pro Stock Motorcycles.

Sounds to me like the "Hobbyists" comment was talking like someone was not winning because they were not working hard enough at it. Fact is the rules are not the same, not even flipping close for the Harleys and the Suzukis. Yamaha and Kawasaki do not even bother to run in the class under the Harley rules. Make the rules the same and see who wins.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4039 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bubbletop409
posted Hide Post
I have never been a fan of motorcycles at an event that features competitors that predominantly roll on four wheels.
When is the last time cars were included in a bike racing events?

Larry
62 Bel-Air 409
79 Cole TR-2 SunsetRaceCraft 565 RIP TRACY
260 Eliminator Eagle XP HP500EFI
NO MO BOMA
WELL DONE USN SEAL TEAM 6
Proud Deplorable

Posts: 60 | Location: Castro Valley, CA State of Insanity | Registered: August 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post