DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    ? for those with wraps on car
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

? for those with wraps on car
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Looking at get a wrap put on car and cpl questions for those who have them.

How close to shine of paint job. Love a deep shine that you can see yourself in,not that I expect exactly that with wrap.Just wondering how much shine can a sticker have.

Durability? Has to be lot durable scratch resistance than paint. One of the main reasons I am looking at one. With dragster panels going on and off for working on car and storage of them while off. I know paint would be getting scratched regular and that shyt drives me nuts

Cost? With paint jobs getting stupiud priced and yes I understand the cost of materials is main issue there. What did you have to pay and how happy with wrap are you?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
A wrap ain’t paint and can’t compare to a good paint job! Only those who don’t have the coin for a good paint job, go with a wrap. It’s all about $

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
It'll scratch and if you're not careful it'll roll up on the edges of panels if you catch it on something. If you have it going over dzus dimples it will eventually twist when you turn the dzus.

If you get someone that knows what they're doing it looks really good! But doesn't compare to paint like Ed said.

Have a 1/2 wrap on my dragster, i'm happy with it.

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
PAINT for sure an you got a bad a z z one abut 4 hrs north…BRUCE MULLINS…

Posts: 1259 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Al Alguire:
If its a dragster and you are looking at a single color you can powder coat it, very durable for sure. We powder coat ours but it will eventually get painted over as well. But the powder will keep any chips from going to metal.

AS for wraps they come in MANY levels. From cheap and crappy to very nice and the look can fool most. But the better quality stuff costs alot of money. But allows for a lot of creativity in the scheme for way less than paint.

This is Craig Sullivan's wrap on his pro mod. Most cant tell its not paint

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 990 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
From the picture that looks like paint.

That one would probably cost a lot of coin.

The advantage of a wrap is you can fairly easily change it if you get different sponsor etc but when you look closely paint usually looks better.

Unless you are up close looking it who will know? Or care?

I dont.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4019 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
1320racer is spot on. Paint is paint an wrap is vinyl. Pretty easy to get a 1500.00 in materials alone in just doing a Dragster and then add labor.( Quality Materials) Lots of panels to prep and then staging them for paint. Then add the design and a whole lotsa time. Then after everything is done painted and cleared figure a half to a whole day to buff and detail. I do not know what Todd's Extreme charges for their work, but its very, very nice. I would bet its got to be somewhere in the $7000.00 range and up, any less and people are taking advantage of their skills and work.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
I have had wraps...if your vision is comprimised YOU will love a wrap.

If your not looking for perfection or a glossy surface, a wrap is for YOU.

NOTHING compares to a nice paint job, speaking of paint, if its cheap it will look like chit. You get what you pay for when it comes to paint as well.

NICE Paint will always look better...JMO

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Is it a show car or a race car?

I have seen a few wraps that will fool me at arms length. Most I can tell at least from there. I have seen very nice wraps and very nice paint jobs. For designs that are less busy, paint is nicer. Busier designs......it makes it harder to distinguish.

I have found that wrap pricing is a lot like spray foam pricing. Very regional. Depends on the competition in the area. I have always had painters that treated me right, so I have always had paint. My current car though has vinyl flames. Cheap way to pick up the design. They can be prone to curling on the flame tips when you wipe down the car though.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Typical reply from those with junk and those that don’t have the coin for a nice paint job. Oh and my shyt, TORQIN’s shyt are show race cars.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
All the work vehicles where I worked get wrapped
Full size vans, smaller Transit vans and a large Transit van

They look good but it’s on a work truck !

Hold up ok but after a while some show issues at edges and the wrap used is not a cheap product

Very high gloss and looks great when new

If you had an older car and wanted a fresh look it’s a good cheaper option.

Looks good from 50’ but not even close to a nicely painted car

Great for commercial vehicles

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Like I stated I know it will not compare to paint. It is race car not a show car. Yes cost is a big issue. A Starr Rider scheme like the one on Funny car in the avatar is what I am after. I doubt the 2500 bucks we paid for paint back then will buy the paint alone now.

I have had a race car that was part show car and it is butt load extra work keeping it that way especially when working on it week in and week out. Heck with it paint job was gone with simple body removal,but the chassis was just as much show car. Not going that route here.

As for painters I have access to cpl that do great work. Lance King in Norfolk is one. A family member does awesome work, but sometimes that can cost more than a shop doing it.

As for wrap. I have seen a few that look good,
not great. I have seen some most that look like a wrap from 20 yards.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Correction. I implied not as good as paint shine wise. I did not state it. I thought it. WTH is wrong you guys can't read what I thought and skipped typing.? LMAO

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
Contrary to what some say, I didn't get a wrap because I was to cheap. I had planned to get my car painted last year and got it all prepped when my painter had issues, so as a backup I got mine wrapped. It was $3K and I was told it's high quality materials that will last indefinitely using it the way I do. It's actually quite durable and I have had no issues with it scratching.

IMG_20210528_205159515 by neetchracer, on Flickr

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
Buggy by neetchracer, on Flickr

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Sorry Mike but no one with eyes that work well is ever going to mistake that wrap for paint.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Sorry Mike but no one with eyes that work well is ever going to mistake that for paint.

I agree. It's definitely not paint, but it's an alternative to put something on a car that looks better that gelcoat and is not permanent. I'm a "work on stuff" kinda guy so things get slightly worn or even scratched/damaged and a wrap is great for that. Yes, you can totally see from about 3' away that's a big bunch of stickers, but I'm not a car show guy and I'm happy with it. I would have rather had paint, but I'm actually pretty happy with this.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
that's all that matters

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Beginning of 2021 we had to stretch my dragster behind the rear seat to fit a front mount procharger.In doing so we had to fabricate a couple of new panels,so she is three quarter old paint and panels and one quarter new panels...wasnt pretty looking.
I went through the paint or wrap debate and finally decided to do a nice paint job.Knowing it was going to be costly i contacted some of the best painters in the country...no need for price quotes just get er done!
I couldnt get a good painter to touch it from here to the west coast.Everyone was a year plus to even touch it or just jerked me around for months and months!!

Posts: 1425 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
Beginning of 2021 we had to stretch my dragster behind the rear seat to fit a front mount procharger.In doing so we had to fabricate a couple of new panels,so she is three quarter old paint and panels and one quarter new panels...wasnt pretty looking.
I went through the paint or wrap debate and finally decided to do a nice paint job.Knowing it was going to be costly i contacted some of the best painters in the country...no need for price quotes just get er done!
I couldnt get a good painter to touch it from here to the west coast.Everyone was a year plus to even touch it or just jerked me around for months and months!!

You couldn’t just remove the rear seat and use that existing space? Laughing Hard

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3161 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post