DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Summit takes action against Speedmaster
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Summit takes action against Speedmaster
 Login/Join

DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted

Posts: 2111 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Happy to see Summit taking some sort of action against SM. I know Broader is not the only brand they have copied over the years.

Unfortunately I don't think we have seen the last of SM. I think Summit will private label what INV they can of SM to mitigate losses and SM will be back under a new brand name within a year or 2.

------------------------------------------
killer of MT82s
Converter Guy

Posts: 25 | Location: Deland | Registered: December 09, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
clapping Summit!!

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Noce to think they did it because of their values, but I'd say they have lawyers that said you better do this. No doubt they're going to be names in any proceedings Broader is going to bring against Speedmaster.

Posts: 1463 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The applause for this situation should be for Jay @ Broader Performance.

I cannot understand how the big ones like Edelbrock, Holley, Sonnax or whoever else under the sun could sit down with a buyer from Summit or Jegs at PRI or SEMA show with a straight face as their stuff is being listed alongside Speedmaster's.

It was Broader - the small operation with a handful of staff members - who made a sincere appeal to reason and decency why this was wrong - the name copying of the brand name was outrageous and ignorant - but also the insanity of not even providing proper support to the poor soul that wanted to save a buck or was caught by a flashy website. Those hundreds of thousands of views are a testament to how that message resonated.

President
BTE / Memphis Performance
www.bteracing.com

Posts: 27 | Location: Mount Pleasant, MS | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't be an issue if it weren't for greedy consumers demanding cheap products.

goob- i said what i said, fight me.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
Wouldn't be an issue if it weren't for greedy consumers demanding cheap products.

I’m sure when you’re browsing the shelves, you just pick out the most expensive version of every item you need.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3162 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:

I’m sure when you’re browsing the shelves, you just pick out the most expensive version of every item you need.

If the most expensive happens to be the USA produced product, then yes, I do.

I'm quite accustomed to paying up to 3 times the price for USA products and materials.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
I hope someone can figure out who these crooks are and make them pay for their crimes. Sounds like it was made in China.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Yes, the copies are probably made in China and yes it needs to be stopped.

Why do some American products cost up to 3 times more? Is it because of wages? No, in China they get paid much more than you think and close to what we make here.

The real problem is American Tax system was set up in a time where everything was made in America and the working men and women paid all of the Federal Income Taxes through our paycheck.

Now we have become a Global Economy and what that does is gives Foreign made goods a 50% to 100% tax break. You pay no Federal taxes on imported goods yet everything made in America is taxed heavily and that has to be passed on to us.

I would say the answer and solution would be to have a point of sale tax and eliminate the Income Tax and business taxes. Then it would not matter if you were an illegal alien working for cash or multi millionaire you pay taxes on what you buy and not what you make.

Problem with that is we have a Corrupt Government with a severe spending problem and huge kickbacks, money laundering and bribes.

If we were to change our Tax system now the Government would just make it worse for us.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4026 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
Speedmaster is Australian, its the old ProComp stuff rebranded.

They have been steeling others designs for years.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 743 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:

M HMMMM

I’ll blame those companies for finding cheaper labor and materials offshore and not lowering the price. I really don’t have an issue with offshore parts if they are held to a strict spec. It’s really too late to complain about it.

The knockoff parts are a separate issue. The bbc heads aren’t even close to a Brodix off the shelf. You get what you pay for.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4508 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Knock off companies are a dime a dozen industry wide. Everything that has any value has been copied and then made in China. Summit and Jegs should take a look in the mirror because nearly all of their name brands (Jegs or Summit) are Chinese knock offs.

I'm not in a bad mood, I just look that way.........

Posts: 993 | Location: Kingman, Arizona | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post