New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sportsman Or...
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
First of all, I think we all have to admit that as far as “sportsman racers” are concerned, other than a little bit of ink in the house organ, National Dragster, the promotion of those classes has been slim at best.

Read more at https://dragracingactiononline...022/01/sportsman-or/

Posts: 154 | Location: Beaver Springs, PA | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
every Sportsman driver knows the deal going in. it has been the same deal for many many years. we are there because of the revenue we generate and time fillers and track prepers. if they have time they run us. if they don't, they don't. sportsman racers are a self supporting group meaning we cover our own purses with car counts. we are going to show up and the powers that be know that so effort on their part is not required so you get what you get and know that on the front end. case in point, Gainesville filled up for the most part in a day. some classes in minutes. so why should nhra do anything different.

the biggest slap in the face is the cancellation of division banquets starting under the excuse of covid. this year we were told that budgets are not there to support a banquet at the division level. you race all year and finally win something and you are told that we don't have enough money to celebrate your accomplishments. but thanks for supporting our series and good job. you will receive your awards at some race next year. that being said car counts will be up probably again this years so banquets and award ceremonies will become a thing of the past.

i personally will continue to go because that is the type of racing i enjoy and know what my role is when i show up.

ep

Posts: 767 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pauley:
every Sportsman driver knows the deal going in. it has been the same deal for many many years. we are there because of the revenue we generate and time fillers and track prepers. if they have time they run us. if they don't, they don't. sportsman racers are a self supporting group meaning we cover our own purses with car counts. we are going to show up and the powers that be know that so effort on their part is not required so you get what you get and know that on the front end. case in point, Gainesville filled up for the most part in a day. some classes in minutes. so why should nhra do anything different.

the biggest slap in the face is the cancellation of division banquets starting under the excuse of covid. this year we were told that budgets are not there to support a banquet at the division level. you race all year and finally win something and you are told that we don't have enough money to celebrate your accomplishments. but thanks for supporting our series and good job. you will receive your awards at some race next year. that being said car counts will be up probably again this years so banquets and award ceremonies will become a thing of the past.

i personally will continue to go because that is the type of racing i enjoy and know what my role is when i show up.

ep

If all you think about is celebrating taking the the hill, you won't be there long.

I never showed for banquets, or picnics.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
My take…
It’s common knowledge- There are more self made millionaires/or more in sportsman racing than the Pros.
Push the drivers /teams and stories forward.
The pros would not BE if not for sportsman racing.
Call it the stepping stone if you will. Yes some jumped right into pro but look at the fun and experience they missed!
We used to have pro stock at divisional’s. That changed and slowly went backwards. Pulling in the fast shoe polish classes was a good move for sportsman bracket racers.
Big dollar bracket races have done a better job promoting than the associations.

Big business has taken over. These big companies buying up smaller performance based companies and combining is ruining quality parts/availability and prices. You cannot get the same product you purchased a few years ago. Most all are offshore now also.
Face it, the interest in Drag racing is not what it was. There is no advertising to push it for a divisional race ! But they do for the P boys! What’s wrong with this picture?
As for banquets and awards, how do you promote people and performance? Print and pictures!

JMHO..coffee rant over

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4524 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
ep…KNOWS!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:

ep

I agree about the banquet. Some don't care about banquets but my son won the ECF in Jrs and his buddies from years past talked about how cool the banquet was so naturally he was looking forward to it as were we. I think Division 2 is having a banquet of some kind at the baby gators but it isn't the same I'm sure. We don't do it for the banquets but losing that is still a disappointment. We would still race it anyway so the point isn't why we do it but the fact of how things always get taken away and nothing decent to replace it. So no matter why some do it if you keep losing payouts, banquets, free parts eventually there is no benefit.

Posts: 6 | Location: Riner VA | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:

ep

If all you think about is celebrating taking the the hill, you won't be there long.

I never showed for banquets, or picnics.

i dont think about the "picnic" first retow. i always take the hill first then go to the "picnic". maybe you didnt go to the "picnic" because you didnt take the hill.

ep

Posts: 767 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The advertiser's will figure they are not spending there advertising dollars smartly. The only people that read the National Dragster are SPORTSMAN RACERS. If we aren't getting the exposure we deserve then we will stop reading it. So no reading means no buying of products. It's always about the Pro's, we are just fill at National Events. But I get it, nhra wants to make money, nobody watches us.

When everything is coming your way, your probably in the wrong lane.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Between a Rock and a Hard Spot, USA | Registered: December 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post