DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Fuel bowl draining.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fuel bowl draining.
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted
So getting the car ready for the year finishing up a few thinks. Noticed my rear fuel bowl draining as soon as the motor is shut off. It is draining into the intake Alky carb thats is 12 years old Pro system sv-1. Metering gaskets look fine. What else would cause this. Think maybe a crack or something in the metering block itself...Planning on sending it in for a over haul at this point. Its been a great carb.. I am really scared to touch it honestly the car has been deadly.

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1395 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Have you gone through the carb as part of your off season maintenance? Every off season my carbs get stripped, cleaned, all passages blown out, N&S removed and all gaskets replaced. I also verify the floats are good and check their set. If you haven’t done this, start there.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
opps post in wrong section. Ed have not done this season.Went thru it before last season new floats needle seat ect.

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1395 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
If it’s dumping fuel in while running floats…I change alky floats 2 to 3 times a year

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:
If it’s dumping fuel in while running floats…I change alky floats 2 to 3 times a year

Its not dumping it draining when you kill the motor. You can watch the float draining the sight glass

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I'd pull the carb off, clean the outside really good, and put it on a stand so you can watch the underside of it. Fill the float bowls with fuel and watch....if it's draining that fast, you'll find it quick...

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RacerVX54:
So getting the car ready for the year finishing up a few thinks. Noticed my rear fuel bowl draining as soon as the motor is shut off. It is draining into the intake Alky carb thats is 12 years old Pro system sv-1. Metering gaskets look fine. What else would cause this. Think maybe a crack or something in the metering block itself...Planning on sending it in for a over haul at this point. Its been a great carb.. I am really scared to touch it honestly the car has been deadly.

Does it have a rear power valve?

Posts: 2156 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:

No

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

DRR Sportsman
Picture of DLR
posted Hide Post
if it has a rear PV plug in the metering block, check to see if it's tight and the gasket is good.

Posts: 469 | Location: BENTON HARBOR, MI | Registered: August 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of excessive braker
posted Hide Post
Accelerator pump leaking? Mine was leaking on the front to end the season. The bowl would empty in between nights of racing. They are cheap and easy to replace.

Posts: 71 | Location: Sliding at the cones | Registered: May 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:

No

As stated above check the PV plug gasket and also the metering block gasket.

Posts: 2156 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Take the carb off but leave the fuel line connected (assuming it's a hose and not hardline) Fill the bowl and look under the carb and see where it's leaking from.
Why keep guessing?

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Possible rear bowl vent plugged?

Posts: 297 | Location: Nevada | Registered: February 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Many years ago I had a pair of 3-circuit Dominators that leaked through the intermediate tubes profusely, some guy I think named Marvin at Holley sent me 4 new metering blocks, problem solved, to this day the best performing carburetors as a single or a pair I have ever seen.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1653 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLR:
if it has a rear PV plug in the metering block, check to see if it's tight and the gasket is good.

X2. It will also drip at idle making the idle sloppy.

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Float is set too high, or oring on needle and seat is hard

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Did you get issue resolved?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:

Power block off was good gasket was good. Talked to Patrick thinking corrosion or something else with the metering block. Carb is 12 years old and its been a good piece sent it in for updates and rebuild.

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Good choice, he’ll make it right

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:

Power block off was good gasket was good. Talked to Patrick thinking corrosion or something else with the metering block. Carb is 12 years old and its been a good piece sent it in for updates and rebuild.

I missed the alky fuel, if the metering blocks were machine after anodizing, meaning bare metal internal passages, it's like one corroded into another causing the leak. He is probably using billet blocks now and they should be machine first and then anodized. I ran alky for a while and it will do a number on areas with flowing fuel vs just sitting in a fuel tank. Anodizing is not a cure all also but it will increase the life span. Top end lube can also help.