DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Electric tankless water heater ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electric tankless water heater ?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M120:
I'm confused too!
150 gallon tank?
Are you running a brothel Al???

Just having fun! No harm.

LOL, no just a really big house. Used to have a very large family in it before we bought it in 2011.

The pump is for the same reason. It is a very large two story house and the pump just speeds things up for stuff like sinks that are far from the source. In our case the pump is built in to the tankless unit. Only thing external to that is a control panel. We have endless amounts of hot water and no hot water tank waiting to rot. Also not heating up all that water for no reason. Our propane bill went down significantly after we installed the on demand system.

FWIW WE have and RO water softener as well, no more salt here. Everyone seems to like the soft water for sure. We frequently have guests here must be where we live people always wanting to come visit.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 990 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Electric tankless isnt worth it.. Gas seems to be but electric im gathering isnt

Posts: 64 | Location: Ocoee | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
So just to clarify... I should stay away from tankless (both gas & electric) if I have well water? I currently have an electric water heater but have gas in the house so I can go either way - I was thinking about going tankless but I do have well water and its loaded with minerals - constantly clogging showerheads & staining fixtures.... Sounds like I'd have issues with a tankless, regardless of gas or electric, correct?

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 630 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BD104X:
So just to clarify... I should stay away from tankless (both gas & electric) if I have well water? I currently have an electric water heater but have gas in the house so I can go either way - I was thinking about going tankless but I do have well water and its loaded with minerals - constantly clogging showerheads & staining fixtures.... Sounds like I'd have issues with a tankless, regardless of gas or electric, correct?

Yes, unless you have a water softener/ treatment on you water. I also had electric water heaters and they lasted about 7 years before failing due to hard water. I switched o gas and have had zero issues. The gas water heaters do an auto flush which prevents buildup in the tank itself. My electric bill went down $60 a month switching to gas but the heaters are prob 3 times the cost of electric water heaters. I have mine set at one level above the lowest setting. 4 showers in a row and we don't run out of water. My shower heads have rubber nipples around the holes and you just run your fingers over them and it opens the holes back up. I haven't gotten a water softener because I hate the feeling of the treated water (feels oily).

Posts: 1625 | Location: UsA | Registered: October 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T172JR:

Yes, unless you have a water softener/ treatment on you water. I also had electric water heaters and they lasted about 7 years before failing due to hard water. I switched o gas and have had zero issues. The gas water heaters do an auto flush which prevents buildup in the tank itself. My electric bill went down $60 a month switching to gas but the heaters are prob 3 times the cost of electric water heaters. I have mine set at one level above the lowest setting. 4 showers in a row and we don't run out of water. My shower heads have rubber nipples around the holes and you just run your fingers over them and it opens the holes back up. I haven't gotten a water softener because I hate the feeling of the treated water (feels oily).[/QUOTE]

Thanks Lou... I have an "Iron breaker" water conditioner but I still get a ton of sediment - I unclog the shower head the same way but I imagine a tankless heater wouldn't fair so well. My current one is electric, I have solar on my house so electric appliances are cheaper for me but we tend to run out of hot water after 3 good showers. Maybe a conventional tank-style gas one next time around.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 630 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I hate you all!

I replied in this thread earlier which probably jinxed me. Water on the floor and coming out the top.

I definitely got my money out of my gas 40gl tank water heater. It was newish when I bought my house 07/2000. So I got 22+ years out of it. And it looked like a cheapy.
I do have well water,a water softener and I actually flushed it before. I used to wash blocks with the drain, maybe that helped?

I showered, did a load of laundry and then shut the gas/water off to the heater.

Thinking of getting a new softener/RO and gas tankless heater. I mounted a plywood panel years ago dreading this day. Probably a bad time of year for this to happen, but could be worse.

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Well, I stopped at a local plumbing supply chain today(Ace Plbg,Htg,Elect) that deals mainly to the trades to inquire about a gas tankless water heater.

I got a quote for a Navien npe210s and install kit for $1710. It would be plenty for my situation. It has a built-in rec pump as well.

South Jersey Gas has a $500 rebate so it brings it down to $1210 and there is a Federal tax credit as well.

HD wants $800 to get an equivalent of what I have now.

Seems like an easy decision. I can pick up and go ago away for a few days and zero $ spent keeping 40 gallons hot.

Plan on a outdoor spicket for the pressure washer as well.

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I to have well water and believe a good filter / water softener is a requirement if you want your water heater to last. They are not that expensive and do help.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4017 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M120:
I hate you all!

I replied in this thread earlier which probably jinxed me. Water on the floor and coming out the top.

I definitely got my money out of my gas 40gl tank water heater. It was newish when I bought my house 07/2000. So I got 22+ years out of it. And it looked like a cheapy.
I do have well water,a water softener and I actually flushed it before. I used to wash blocks with the drain, maybe that helped?

I showered, did a load of laundry and then shut the gas/water off to the heater.

Thinking of getting a new softener/RO and gas tankless heater. I mounted a plywood panel years ago dreading this day. Probably a bad time of year for this to happen, but could be worse.

If you really want a laugh (and to feel good or bad about your situation), my water heater needs earlier in the thread were totally avoidable. Turns out, me doing other work in the house and turning the breaker off were the cause of my issue. After tinkering with the water heater (after some other work), I caused the very small leak. Fixed it, and then waited on hot water. After a day the hot water never came. Turned out that I flipped the breaker that one last time. Killed the breaker. I didn’t know until the new water heater failed to heat the water. New kitchen faucet caused it all. Lmao.

New faucet
New angle valve (the biggest POS plumbing piece ever invented)
New water heater
New breaker in the panel

All was right with the world.

I would be pissed, except for the fact that the water heater was 26 years old and would have probably really let me down when I was out of the country. I call it a win for that reason.

Mikey

Posts: 1708 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
LoL,Head gamez

I pulled the insulation blanket off the heater last night. It was manuf 16th week of 97. It had a good run!

Pulled the trigger on the tankless. I p/u this afternoon. I've never been this excited about a water heater before. LoL

Cool

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I've been looking at WH's just because mine has age on it. Municipal water and the last time I replaced it I cut it open to look in the tank, it was full of white sediment. With a gas water heater around here after you shower the WH makes all kinds of noise because of the sediment that collects on the bottom.
I hope I didn't jinx myself by replying to this thread.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
After not finding anything good about the electric tankless heaters I guess it will be another tank heater. Time for a trip to the local plumbing supply store in the next few weeks.

Posts: 337 | Location: up on the wheel | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I went back with a tank unit. What i did not like about tankless is if you lose your power no hot water.

Posts: 411 | Location: Highland,Ca | Registered: December 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If I lose power, I lose water as I have well water.
I also lose heat,cooling and lights.
Why do I need hot water in the dark while I'm freezing or sweating with no water?

Lost power around 10 years ago. Survived with my Honda generator for 5/6 days. Granted, didn't have a tankless then. I ran water well, window AC unit, refrigerator, lights, TV and cable box. 3000W Gen popped overload twice during that time.

Your results may vary.
Merry Christmas!

Cool

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
My house has 2 electric tankless units. When I moved in the unit were 20 years old. They were kinda noise so I called to buy a new one and found out it was a USA company that was bought buy a German commay Stiebel Eltron. The guy i talked to had been there for years and told me that there stuff was the best and then bought to make them better.. I bought 1 new Stiebel eltron unit for at that time and had it installed and it works great. They do take a big electrical connection 2- 50 amp breakers, i have a 2nd 1 to replace the other when the plumber gets time to come change it...

Rick Huffman
Accelerated Graphics
Why was everyone Kung Fu Fighting?

Posts: 598 | Location: Burleson TX | Registered: January 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Deniker
posted Hide Post
Stay away from electric tankless.

Posts: 622 | Location: Latrobe Pa. | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post