New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Game Of Chance
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
"Based on events around the country this past winter, this racing season may also be more of the same. While the big show may suffer, many of the smaller races, like last year, should be just as healthy. Racers want to race and that was proven. I expect more of the same this year."

https://dragracingedge.com/the-blog/a-game-of-chance/

Posts: 154 | Location: Beaver Springs, PA | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
"No, I believe what transpired on the local level is a drop in car counts. You can correct me if you believe I’m wrong about this but the closing of some tracks may be tied to this fact. Truth is, it’s my belief that a racer may be more inclined to save the $50-$60-or whatever the entry fee of a local bracket race and put it towards the higher entry fee of a high dollar race, enabling them to race for more money."

That is what I believe also. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Our local 1/8th mile track started a Friday night street car program that is packing the place and is far more profitable. No trailers or tow vehicles allows them to bring in more street cars. They also reduced the gate fee by 40% (since there is no purse) in spite of the lower gate fee their Friday night program became the their most profitable event. Street racers require very little to make them happy, just a place where they can compete on a fair basis with a non-biased environment.

Here is an option to the average weekend bracket event that draws more participant and at the same time is more profitable for the facility. Properly marketed this could be a viable program to keep your local track open and alive.

Bob

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
Street racers require very little to make them happy, just a place where they can compete on a fair basis with a non-biased environment.

Bob

Years ago I think I remember hearing about a guy named Wally Parks that had a very similar idea. It might just catch on if we are not careful.

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Here is another change in the Bingo game.

https://www.nhra.com/news/2021...ationals-rescheduled

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Burkleo:
quote:
Street racers require very little to make them happy, just a place where they can compete on a fair basis with a non-biased environment.

Bob

Years ago I think I remember hearing about a guy named Wally Parks that had a very similar idea. It might just catch on if we are not careful.

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. It's still decline.

When I was street racing and Art Malone had Sunshine & Bradenton there was no test n tune at Sunshine. Reason being they'd get 300 cars every Friday night for professional drag racing.

If you wanted to put your car on the clocks, you had to enter Friday night.

I'll guarantee Art Malone wouldn't own the modern day Sunshine, which is now a no payout street racer hangout paradise.

I'd love it, were I a street racer today,... talk about being in the right place at the right time.

There's nothing wrong with any of it I suppose , but it is decline.

It all goes back to the prosperity of America being offshored to china. This is what is, has and will continue to kill professional drag racing, at the local level. Not enough jobs which produce the discretionary money to race every Friday night.

This isn't my opinion, it's common sense.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Our local 1/8th mile track started a Friday night street car program that is packing the place and is far more profitable. No trailers or tow vehicles allows them to bring in more street cars. They also reduced the gate fee by 40% (since there is no purse) in spite of the lower gate fee their Friday night program became the their most profitable event. Street racers require very little to make them happy, just a place where they can compete on a fair basis with a non-biased environment.

Here is an option to the average weekend bracket event that draws more participant and at the same time is more profitable for the facility. Properly marketed this could be a viable program to keep your local track open and alive.

Bob

This has been the case, in my area, for quite some time now. And not only is it profitable due to not having a purse, it also draws a crowd of spectators. And if somebody happens to bounce off both guardrails, the spectator crowd will be even bigger the following weekend.

One drawback, though. In many cases, it hasn't just made these places profitable again, it has completely displaced the bracket racing. Track operators have seen the light and see how much easier their lives can be while increasing their bottom line at the same stroke. I can't really blame them. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I remember years ago on Friday they called it test and tune and the place was always packed. Track owner told me they thought about stopping bracket racing because they made very little off of it and for the most part the bracket racers were a pain in the a$$. T&T people just paid and played. No track prep, no purse and no rules.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
I remember years ago on Friday they called it test and tune and the place was always packed. Track owner told me they thought about stopping bracket racing because they made very little off of it and for the most part the bracket racers were a pain in the a$$. T&T people just paid and played. No track prep, no purse and no rules.

Not too far removed from 40 years ago when we ran brackets for plastic trophies. Take care. Tom Worthington

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Our local track was kind of ahead of the trend early on and as long as I can remember there was money in the races. I feel like it is sort of the cable tv problem. There are so many choices now, and racers are willing to travel more than ever, and there are fewer racers with the lack of car culture today and the expense of our sport, that it's hard to support all he venues. What does a local track do? I get what you are saying about lowering entry fees and racing for a trophy. I would race for a trophy and points. But there are years that I don't want to chase points. And I have more trophies than I can display....not that I'm that good....just that many years racing. I fear that MOST bracket racers would simply turn their head up at no purse. And NO racers would travel to race there of course. Once Pandora was let out of that box, there is no shoving her back in.
The street race crowd will race for no money, because they don't have decades of believing that there has to be a purse at the track. And some of them make their money on the street too.

I don't see any easy answer for local tracks other than mixing it up and in some cases joining the crowd. Get a big money race or two at your venue. Dig into the street racing trend. Decide if the bracket program is worth the trouble.

And.....think about what else makes it fun to race there. Some tracks have electric hookups. For me....that's pretty nice. Think about how your schedule lines up with other competing tracks and big races when you put it together....and consider being flexible when big conflicts arise. Instead of trapping racers at your track, leave room for them to participate elsewhere. Look for in kind sponsorship of prices that can be given away to those who don't make it to finals money. Make sure the pits aren't a disaster and the bathrooms. Offer some edible damn food if you want people to actually buy it. Nearly everyone watches what they eat to some extent. I'm not sticking something in my mouth that I don't enjoy if it isn't healthy. So make it either healthy or tasty. LOL.
And maybe most of all, train your staff.... the people who represent your facility on race day, on how to be respectful and NICE. And to at least appear to care about their jobs. Nothing is a bigger turn off than handing a couple hundred to someone with a piss poor attitude. But when the person taking your money is pleasant and happy to see you... you tend to remember that too.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Our local track, (Barona) still runs two season long bracket series the Summit Series and the Renegade Series. Additionally they have several Junior events and two Antique Drags events. Some of the cars that are showing up are very quick, not Pro Mod quick quick but still very impressive, that number is increasing. As the State mandated Covid restriction ease the spectator counts will increase. It's affordable entertainment for everyone. No parking fees, free over night camping, clean bathrooms, good food, friendly folks and some really fast cars.

Their Friday night street car racers program is a platform for hopefully developing full time bracket racers. You will see some of those guys shown up on Saturday / Sunday.

No...... before you ask, I'm not an Owner, an employee or paid to advertise for the track, just a local racer and friend who wants them to succeed.

Bob

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
We are lucky in Iowa. Four tracks and at three of them we have a schedule that has over 20 races that pay $5000 to win or more. Two pay $50K, 1-pays $25K, 9 pay $7K and the rest are $5K.
I do not know of State with that many big money races in a 120 mile circle.
By the way, all of them are a Box vs No Box final except for the SFG $50Ks.

Should be an interesting race seaosn.

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post