DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Anyone extend wifi wirelessly to shop?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone extend wifi wirelessly to shop?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I’m on pins and needles to see if you get it working Bucky. I haven’t had internet at the house since we moved here over 5 years ago. Just got access to fiber, got installed around a week ago. Signal is good 100’ out front of the house but drops off halfway to the shop out back (which is 80’ total)

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I have watched this thread with much interest because it makes me wonder if I am wrong or right about this. I have no additional router, extenders, etc, and my WIFI works in my garage that is about 100ft from the house. School me!

Posts: 6213 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I will try different outlets, and will even try the barn to see if that works. And will let you guys know what happens.
Thanks for all the follow up!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6398 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Nichols
posted Hide Post
I use this. My shop is 100 yards from the house.

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquit...7&sr=8-4&tag=mh0b-20

Line of sight. Good for up to 2 miles. Very stable to date. One time it lost it's brains and had to reset the Encryption key.

Posts: 157 | Location: Charlestown, IN U.S.A | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Nichols:

Line of sight. Good for up to 2 miles. Very stable to date. One time it lost it's brains and had to reset the Encryption key.

If my current method won't work, I will go there next. Now that link shows only one unit. Is there a sender and a receiver.....or I guess one would be a repeater? unit for house, and one for shop? And nothing else needed to send out wifi in the shop?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6398 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Those extenders will work better when plugged into the same power phase at the house and the garage.

Posts: 294 | Location: New Milford, CT USA | Registered: December 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
One thing to consider when working with RF transmitting and reception is the material your shop/home is constructed with. A metal sided shop will defiantly impair signal. I had to use an antenna style bridge on my friends shop for his to work well. And when I had my home siding redone I used a newer foil covered foam insulation and it affected my wireless in my shop.

Jason Compton

Posts: 34 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J Olejniczak:
Those extenders will work better when plugged into the same power phase at the house and the garage.

I can pretty much only guess phase wise. But I'm going to try some different outlets and see what happens. I could even try flopping an outlet to the other side of the breaker panel to see if that makes a difference.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Bucky: The breaker slot above or below the present position will be the opposite phase.

Posts: 294 | Location: New Milford, CT USA | Registered: December 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J Olejniczak:
Bucky: The breaker slot above or below the present position will be the opposite phase.

As much wiring as I have done, and I didn't realize that. I see that's true though. Same in rv breaker panels? I totally should have realized that because of the configuration of 220v breakers. Need l1 and l2

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Well here is where I am. Tried circuits on both phases in the shop with no success. In the barn however, works fine. I get a little wifi signal from the barn to shop but not good. Both metal buildings. Nuts. So close!
Wonder if the signal travels along the neutral? And the barn and house share a neutral? Just trying to make sense of how this works. Or doesn't.

Meter is mounted to shop. Supplies shop and a box on barn that supplies the breaker box for barn and the breaker box for house.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
OK...What you are experiencing now makes sense. How is the wiring split at the shop to feed the house and barn? Is there a box below the meter that feeds the shop and barn or does the barn and house feed come off of the shop panel? The answer to this may hold the key as to whether it will work or not.

Was not aware of the barn and the split feed with the house being on the far end from the shop. This does complicate things a bunch as you have found out.

Being these work by superimposing a digital signal on the AC wiring, it makes sense that it would take both the hot and neutral wires to complete the signal path.

One thing you could possibly try to rule out if it is a distance issue is to string a couple extension cords together between the barn and shop and try it on the shop end of the extension cord.

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Your thought is right it is not fed off the shop. There is a box.

Distance for the internet signal...i'm not sure. It grabs the signal about as fast as it does in the house. Kind of like either it's there or it isn't. As far as the wifi signal, I step out of the shop door and the signal is pretty good. Just one too many walls I'm afraid.

I'm not sure what happens in that box that inturrupts the signal. You would think if it touches l1 and l2, it's there on this side of the meter.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
One more thought is to make sure the end in the house is not plugged into a power strip or UPS. It needs to be directly plugged into an outlet.

I have seen power strips mess up the signal.

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Burkleo:
One more thought is to make sure the end in the house is not plugged into a power strip or UPS. It needs to be directly plugged into an outlet.

I have seen power strips mess up the signal.

Yep it is on an outlet. TP tech service said both units have to be on the same circuit. LOL. Wasn't the best tech help I have received. I'm kinda thinking this one is going back. Have to try the line of sight deal.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Nichols:

If my current method won't work, I will go there next. Now that link shows only one unit. Is there a sender and a receiver.....or I guess one would be a repeater? unit for house, and one for shop? And nothing else needed to send out wifi in the shop?

It appears if going this method, that along with this, an antenna is needed and a router for the shop.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Here is the Data Sheet (PDF) on the Ubiquiti
NBE-M5-16. PDF is a little slow. It will give you critical info. I checked Newegg, Looks like out of stock. Good reviews it looks like.

https://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets...beam/NanoBeam_DS.pdf

https://dl.ubnt.com/guides/nanobeam/NBE_M5_16_QSG.pdf

Similar to my panels on the setup. The one at the shop does not use a modem or router. Both sides come with a POE adapters. Shop one goes from the panel >POE adapter in//POE adapter out to PC. Wireless in the shop, yes a wireless router.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the Ethernet over power line is not going to be compatible in your situation.

I would go with a pair of Ubiquiti bridges and a access point in the shop. Don't really need a full blown router out there, just cheap switch and a WiFi access point is all you need in the shop.

For best results you will want to use a Cat-5 or Cat-6 cable from the bridges to the router in the house and also one for connecting to the devices in the shop.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I didn't know you could just get a simple switch and wifi access point. I'm not sure that the Roku has anything but wifi input, so I would need wifi. Plus its nice to be able to hook up on occasion with the laptop for troubleshooting issues.

I will look into the Ubiquiti bridge

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Bucky: By any chance, do you have 3 phase power feeding your property? Also, how close is the barn to the shop?