DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    NHRA super gas/super comp 8.90/7.90 for 2022
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
NHRA super gas/super comp 8.90/7.90 for 2022
 Login/Join
 
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
I love the classes for the tight racing and helpful sportsman racers. If you have a problem with something 35 racers will be at your pit in an instant with parts or help. Doesn't get any better than that.


DITTO HERE

We broke at two different SC events this year. Made it to the next call both times.

Not bad, changed out the rear end between rounds on one and changed trans between time runs on the other. Great gang of folks in these pit areas.
 
Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Not for nothing but a bracket race /index race/no prep race all have the same type of people who will help in a pinch...only difference is at a divisional you may have more time to fix it.

Haters will be just that...

The people racing these classes clearly are not racing for the money as the main component driving them to these races. THEY like that type of racing...not to mention participation has NOT been a problem.

They can change the time for each class...won't lure many IMO.
 
Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
This subject comes up every winter....
I'll suggest the same solution I do every winter......
Leave all the indexes as they are, just make one new one @ 7.90/7.50
Allow any DNQ's from TS and TD switch over to 7.90/7.50 if they want to make the effort....

Everybody gets what they want that way...


.
Dave



F J B

 
Posts: 4456 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of sst5167
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
Not for nothing but a bracket race /index race/no prep race all have the same type of people who will help in a pinch...only difference is at a divisional you may have more time to fix it.

Haters will be just that...


The people racing these classes clearly are not racing for the money as the main component driving them to these races. THEY like that type of racing...not to mention participation has NOT been a problem.

They can change the time for each class...won't lure many IMO.


I agree with everything you said here. For the most part, the type of people in the pits at a bracket race, are the same in the pits of a national or divisional event.

I also couldn't agree more that money is not what drives most of us. Of course, I would love nothing more than to run a super gas race for 50k! I grew up watching and dreaming about chasing NHRA points. It's what I've always wanted to do. I finally have a chance to do it. The prestige of it may wear off sometime soon. And if it does, I can guarantee you I'll be in the pits with you guys chasing big checks!


Mike Boehner
 
Posts: 92 | Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ | Registered: January 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't the folks currently running 9.90, 8.90, or 7.90 just stay at whatever index they're currently set up to run? In other words, there are still 9.90, 8.90, and 7.90 classes, the name of them all just changed? If a guy is running 9.90 right now (Super GAS) and now they're calling 9.90 Super Street, so what? You like running 9.90, why would you care what they call it?


Mike
 
Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlyFox:
Wouldn't the folks currently running 9.90, 8.90, or 7.90 just stay at whatever index they're currently set up to run? In other words, there are still 9.90, 8.90, and 7.90 classes, the name of them all just changed? If a guy is running 9.90 right now (Super GAS) and now they're calling 9.90 Super Street, so what? You like running 9.90, why would you care what they call it?


The 9.90 SG guys that changed to 9.90 SST, could'nt run National events. As SST does not run at but 6 National events a year. This could be a game changer for many.
I run SST in D1, and SG at a select few National events. This change would not effect me personally. However I know plenty of SST guys that can only run 10.50 WFO. So it would definetly hurt SST.
Just my 2 cents.
Cal SST 1177
 
Posts: 46 | Location: Southern MD | Registered: November 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Because Slyfox SST has a minimum 2,800 pound weight. Also as per NHRA rules SST is run at one National event in each division.


When everything is coming your way, your probably in the wrong lane.
 
Posts: 1007 | Location: Between a Rock and a Hard Spot, USA | Registered: December 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR Sportsman
Picture of Todd Barton
posted Hide Post
The classes are stale and need a change. Make it 7.90,8.90 and leave it 10.90. Every other class has evolved and gotten quicker and faster over the years except .90 racing. I personally think 2100lb 1200hp cars running 9.90 is lame. The quicker the index the less stop everyone will have, and no, everyone won't be going 7.90 at 220 cause if you have that budget and power you're running top dragster.
 
Posts: 380 | Location: Gray, TN | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Barton:
The classes are stale and need a change. Make it 7.90,8.90 and leave it 10.90. Every other class has evolved and gotten quicker and faster over the years except .90 racing. I personally think 2100lb 1200hp cars running 9.90 is lame. The quicker the index the less stop everyone will have, and no, everyone won't be going 7.90 at 220 cause if you have that budget and power you're running top dragster.


Todd is dead on!


HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!
 
Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Yup, Todd's idea is dead on. Ok its settled, hear that NHRA?


When everything is coming your way, your probably in the wrong lane.
 
Posts: 1007 | Location: Between a Rock and a Hard Spot, USA | Registered: December 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Agree with Todd.

I don't race those classes, but a change, especially in those classes, would at least drum up some interest or add a challenge!
 
Posts: 290 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Leave the indexes alone. Throttle stops aren't going anywhere which is what most people have a problem with. I have less fun 10.90 racing for the first 100 ft of a race but the rest of the run is exciting and nerve racking.

Build more grand stands at the finish line like the Texas Motorplex has. Thats were all the scoop shaking, spot dropping, head turning action is.
 
Posts: 18 | Location: Houston  | Registered: August 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sully3358
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Ticket:
Agree with Todd.

I don't race those classes, but a change, especially in those classes, would at least drum up some interest or add a challenge!


* SC/SG traditionally have the highest car counts of any classes at NHRA Divisional events (I'm talking D3 here)
* People are getting to Divisional events the Monday/Tuesday before a race already due to limited space at some facilities
* Some events are drawing 600-700 entries
* National event quotas are being reached months before the race takes place

* Who said they need more participation?
* Have you run SC/SG? Trust me...it's a challenge

Not sure what good a change in index would do for anyone. Why fix something that isn't broke? Spectators don't care about anything but Nitro cars (and maybe Pro Mod) anyway, so to change something for the spectators would not be sensible.

I could make my 7.20 car run 7.90 instead of 8.90, but why? I know quite a few people that wouldn't be able to without investing a lot of unnecessary money.
 
Posts: 183 | Location: IL | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sully3358:
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Ticket:
Agree with Todd.

I don't race those classes, but a change, especially in those classes, would at least drum up some interest or add a challenge!


* SC/SG traditionally have the highest car counts of any classes at NHRA Divisional events (I'm talking D3 here)
* People are getting to Divisional events the Monday/Tuesday before a race already due to limited space at some facilities
* Some events are drawing 600-700 entries
* National event quotas are being reached months before the race takes place

* Who said they need more participation?
* Have you run SC/SG? Trust me...it's a challenge

Not sure what good a change in index would do for anyone. Why fix something that isn't broke? Spectators don't care about anything but Nitro cars (and maybe Pro Mod) anyway, so to change something for the spectators would not be sensible.

I could make my 7.20 car run 7.90 instead of 8.90, but why? I know quite a few people that wouldn't be able to without investing a lot of unnecessary money.


Don't you know anything Sully? Every businessman knows you take the products that are popular and sell out, and completely change them, in order to attract spectators who will never watch them regardless. Silly!


Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
 
Posts: 6390 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sully3358:
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Ticket:
Agree with Todd.

I don't race those classes, but a change, especially in those classes, would at least drum up some interest or add a challenge!


* SC/SG traditionally have the highest car counts of any classes at NHRA Divisional events (I'm talking D3 here)
* People are getting to Divisional events the Monday/Tuesday before a race already due to limited space at some facilities
* Some events are drawing 600-700 entries
* National event quotas are being reached months before the race takes place

* Who said they need more participation?
* Have you run SC/SG? Trust me...it's a challenge

Not sure what good a change in index would do for anyone. Why fix something that isn't broke? Spectators don't care about anything but Nitro cars (and maybe Pro Mod) anyway, so to change something for the spectators would not be sensible.

I could make my 7.20 car run 7.90 instead of 8.90, but why? I know quite a few people that wouldn't be able to without investing a lot of unnecessary money.



Mostly all true....except for D-1 gets the biggest car counts in Stock.....

There is nothing wrong with t-stop racing and changing it will not do a thing to increase spectators or participation....

It is a very serious challenge and anyone who thinks it isn't is mistaken....

I bring a sandwich and eat it while I'm on the stop....lol
 
Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Is there a possible safety issue with the really fast super comp cars (185 plus mph) coming off the stop further down track in regards to traction?

Personally i think a 11.50 index class no electronics would generate some interest. Every new generation mustang, camaro, challenger, and supercharged F150/Silverado runs in that range every Friday test n tune. That would introduce some "new blood" to NHRA racing if that's what the goal is.
 
Posts: 18 | Location: Houston  | Registered: August 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alley Cat:
Is there a possible safety issue with the really fast super comp cars (185 plus mph) coming off the stop further down track in regards to traction?

Personally i think a 11.50 index class no electronics would generate some interest. Every new generation mustang, camaro, challenger, and supercharged F150/Silverado runs in that range every Friday test n tune. That would introduce some "new blood" to NHRA racing if that's what the goal is.


I don't think so on the sc cars. Although there was a rash of issues with fast s/g cars if I remember correctly....one was tragic I believe.

I think a 7.50 index class would be fun and maybe popular. My car would fit well there and I think I could manage 190 on that index even without a stop. I wouldn't suggest disallowing throttle stops though, as you would have some super comp cars dipping their toes in the water as well as bracket cars that use the starting line enhancer. They would probably be reluctant to remove these just to race an index. The last thing you want to do to have a class successful is start making rules that chase racers away from it.


Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
 
Posts: 6390 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by Alley Cat:
Is there a possible safety issue with the really fast super comp cars (185 plus mph) coming off the stop further down track in regards to traction?

Personally i think a 11.50 index class no electronics would generate some interest. Every new generation mustang, camaro, challenger, and supercharged F150/Silverado runs in that range every Friday test n tune. That would introduce some "new blood" to NHRA racing if that's what the goal is.


I don't think so on the sc cars. Although there was a rash of issues with fast s/g cars if I remember correctly....one was tragic I believe.

I think a 7.50 index class would be fun and maybe popular. My car would fit well there and I think I could manage 190 on that index even without a stop. I wouldn't suggest disallowing throttle stops though, as you would have some super comp cars dipping their toes in the water as well as bracket cars that use the starting line enhancer. They would probably be reluctant to remove these just to race an index. The last thing you want to do to have a class successful is start making rules that chase racers away from it.


7.50 makes sense for individuals who aren't capable of qualifing for top dragster & sportsman fields. I'm not sure how potential participants would feel about competing with those who choose to run on a T-Stop versus those who want to use other methods of hitting the index. Maybe it wouldn't be an issue.
 
Posts: 18 | Location: Houston  | Registered: August 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
At the national event level NHRA is putting on a show for the fans who buy the tickets to see NITRO cars and maybe some who like a few other categories.

Very few are there to see any sportsman racing and most of them are not going to buy into BREAKOUT racing no matter how you package it. Makes zero sense to the casual fan....you get there first and lose....

NHRA has developed their formula for how they run a race and fit it into a weekend and for a
TV show...

Just the right amount of Sportsman cars to use as filler on race day toward the end of the show...2 rounds at most on Sunday.

If weather becomes an issue or time lost from other issues the sportsman get cut off and are run whenever they can get it done.

At Division races there are no Pro's so its a different story.....but way more classes and cars.

They add categories all the time to pump up the entry $$ being taken in and sometimes get behind in the schedule.

Overall division races go very well and some of my best friends have raced .90 classes from day one and probably feel it should stay as it has always been...

I raced .90 off and on since the early 80's.....S/ST, S/G and S/C.....

I'm comfortable as can be going 8.90.....

NHRA should leave things alone as they have for many years....
 
Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sc4087
posted Hide Post
Did CNN report this crap? Not gonna happen.


Mike Greene




 
Posts: 509 | Location: Burleson, TX | Registered: March 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4 5 6  
 

DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    NHRA super gas/super comp 8.90/7.90 for 2022

© DragRaceResults.com 2024