DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Lenient Tech Inspections at Big Money Races
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lenient Tech Inspections at Big Money Races
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
Originally posted by Vince Kaiser:
I know big money races are all about entry numbers. Therefore, they allow a less stringent tech inspection of safety gear and cars. My question is, why are people okay with this?

A large percentage of the racers that participate in these higher dollar, tech is your responsibility races, probably attend their local N/Ihra events as I do, have been through tech and should know the rules.

Knowing this, sometimes I feel safer participating in these hi dollar events, than driving on the highway/ freeway roads to get to them.

With all the undocumented, texting, substance abusing drivers on the road, that isn't setting the bar terribly high.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6406 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
It’s all good till you need the safety devises put into place. Too little too late.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4497 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I don’t care if the person next to me is running seat belts that are 3 years old.

Posts: 789 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Deniker
posted Hide Post
While we're on the subject, why on earth do we need to keep getting the same car a chassis cert? Is the tubing going to get thinner and bars are gonna move, from sitting in the trailer ?

Posts: 622 | Location: Latrobe Pa. | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Bob, it’s also a visual inspection. Cars/chassis get damaged on the track and in the trailer and if left up to the racer, they’d continue to be raced without proper repair.

That said, I for one appreciate the NHRA’s safety requirements. That said, rules are for all and you don’t get to cherry pick which rules you have decided to comply with. Further, if you can’t afford to adhere to ALL of them, you shouldn’t be allowed to race PERIOD! This is one of the reasons I chose to compete in NHRA class racing. Same racers or their families are suing everyone in a serious or fatal crash, blaming everyone but themselves.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
It's all about the Benjamin's.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by racerdude2054:
I don’t care if the person next to me is running seat belts that are 3 years old.

Nor do I but if something happens to them it affects us all.

Bob, Trailer time out here kills chassis. Roads are terrible. I have personally broke an RED chassis in route to Vegas. Yearssssss ago but it did happen.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4497 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
THIS what Mark said gettin there is way more troublesome think about the logistics of teching 4-5 hundered cars would take another complete day great to have all rides safe but at the cost of too much time

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 406 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I can't believe this thread is going so viral.
I race NHRA and I haven't seen anybody check anything for years.
And quite frankly,there is no way they could check the safety of every vehicle even if they wanted to.
If you put your wheel on and forget to tighten the lug nuts,that isn't in anyone's control except your own.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
one thing being left out is the IHRA race going to an NHRA track and the money it takes to be up to date at both

Johnny Claridge
Reher-Morrison
john.claridge@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 49 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Claridge:
one thing being left out is the IHRA race going to an NHRA track and the money it takes to be up to date at both

Good point...Don't even need a chassis cert until 6.00 in IHRA. But in NHRA you need a Window net and chassis cert at 6.39 I believe.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
I take responsibility for making sure my car is as safe as I think it should be, and I don't much worry what others are doing.

That said, the opinion above is from the perspective of a racer/participant. Track owners, promoters, and sanctioning bodies have to decide for themselves what they are willing to overlook, given that they're the ones who will be targets of the lawsuits resulting from anyone getting hurt.

Mike

Posts: 1563 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Tech used to be the day before a race. What we saw at Phoenix is more to come spot checks. Helmets, pants, jacket, Hanns and gloves inspected. Probably overdue.

Raceless in California!

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Holytown:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Claridge:

Good point...Don't even need a chassis cert until 6.00 in IHRA. But in NHRA you need a Window net and chassis cert at 6.39 I believe.

There is quite the difference in rules under 6.39/10.00

Posts: 290 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
I have raced big money events at NHRA owned tracks...no tech, sorry...that said, I keep my junk completely within code...I do not feel any safer if the guy next to me does or does not...

Posts: 1277 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
What good is a NHRA tech on a dragster…mine as never been checked up front or back for thickness…but the main issues they don’t even look for is cracks…..

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vince Kaiser:
The ignorance in this comment is mind blowing...

At an NHRA owned track, I know each person has gone through the same license requirements as me.

The problem is people sign off on license paperwork without having watched one run. I've seen people get license papers signed that have no right being in a racecar.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
mine has been every time at chassis cert. Panels all off too and will be checked again in 10 days when the chassis is recertified.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
They want look for cracks anywhere around the reared area an that’s were I’ve seen alot

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Never had any chassis inspector look at anything but the drivers cage area....

Have had 2 dragsters going back to 1996-1997 and about 3 different NHRA Div 1 guys do the check including the present Division Director....

Only once has any of them asked for the body panels to be removed and that was 3 years ago by a guy who had never done either of my cars before..

Even with body panels removed he did not look at anything but the drivers area and he was not looking nor would he find any cracks...

I am scheduled to get checked again end of the month.....

I check my car often for cracks and have fixed them myself and the issues were never anywhere around the drivers area.....

The NHRA chassis cert is better than nothing but it is not very thorough.....and ignores all the areas that dragsters tend to develop problems....

My first car was ETI certified and again never checked for anything other than drivers area and all the other SFI equipment ....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post