DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Help Locating a 327 AMC Engine
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help Locating a 327 AMC Engine
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Some Jeep's had those engines in them from what I've read.....Gladiators and Wagoneers....
Maybe in the late 1960's era..

I worked in a Pontiac-Jeep-Subaru dealership mid to late 1970's.....

I don't recall anything but the later AMC engines in 1970's Jeeps....304-360-401

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Here is where we are at trying to locate the AMC 327.

We have a very specific engine that was only produced from 1963 through 1966, we need either a 287 or a 327. We would prefer the 327 but the results of our search thus far have been zero.

The later Gen. II 327 (1967 and later) and all the 304/327/401's won't work. The history of AMC, AMC Jeep and AMC Chrysler is weird and unique which makes the search specific and exhausting.

Therefore, we are going to give up the ship as of September 7th and go back to rebuilding the 287. Whatever it takes to rebuild the 287 is what it will be.

September 7 is our drop dead date.

Thanks to all the guys who invested time and effort is trying to locate a 327 for us, Brian and I appreciate the effort.

Bob and especially Brian Mendenhall

Posts: 3086 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Don't know if this will help or not, but I did a quick search from this link and found a couple 327's in Alaska and a 287 running engine in Idaho.

It may be just a bunch of bogus old information or it may turn into something for you.

https://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi

Best of luck.

Joe

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
From the search.

Engine Assembly
AMC Ambassador 145-160 comp, run good, 287, 84k 2266 $750 Central Grade Auto Parts USA-ID(Lewiston) E-mail 1-208-743-9505

Engine Assembly
AMC Classic 287CI CORE ENGINE 91,000 A Q-2711 $Call Hidden Valley Auto Parts USA-AZ(Maricopa) E-mail 602-252-2122 / 520-568-2945

Engine Assembly
AMC Ambassador 990,1-66,327 [ JDR177 $Call Knik Towing & Wrecking (Alaska) USA-AK(Wasilla) E-mail 1-907-376-2584

Engine Assembly
AMC American Motors WE HAVE 6 ON THESE VEHICLES IN OUR YARD CALL W/YOUR REQUEST $Call A to Z Auto Parts USA-MI(Springlake) E-mail 1-231-798-2111

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks Joe. I'll forward this to Brian.

Bob

Posts: 3086 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Burkleo:
Don't know if this will help or not, but I did a quick search from this link and found a couple 327's in Alaska and a 287 running engine in Idaho.

It may be just a bunch of bogus old information or it may turn into something for you.

https://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi

Best of luck.

Joe

Winner winner! Roundabout found someone in AZ with 2 327's. My dad and i are heading out Friday to pick one up.
Huge thanks to everyone for everyones help!

Posts: 5 | Location: No | Registered: August 17, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Ding Ding we have a winner! Found a 327 in Maricopa Arizona, a few miles south of Phoenix. Brian and I are driving there Friday morning to pick it up. Brian sent them a $200 deposit so they are pulling it out of the car tomorrow. This should be about a 11 hour, 630 mile sprint through the desert.

Thanks to everyone who helped, it's greatly appreciated.

Bob and BTM7500

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Bob and Brian,
Glad to help.

Be safe out there on the road.

Joe

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Turns out that the AMC engine in Arizona wasn't a 327 it was a 287, in fact both of them were 287's so that deal fell out. Brian found, or let me say POSSIBLY MAY have found a 327 in LA. Back to square one.

Bob

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Hope that one in LA pans out.

The only other possible 327's I have found so far are the 2 up in Alaska.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Thought that we had found another 327 at a guys house in Maricopa Arizona. Brian brought back my cherry picker for the trip to get it since we had to pull the engine out of the guys Jeep. Turns out the 43 mile drive here was wasted, at the last minute he called to say it was actually a 390, back to square one, again.

I'm about ready to give up the search and simply rebuild the 287 that came out of the car. I may not live long enough to actually find a 327.

Bob

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Found this to be an interesting read on the engine. Looks like they were used in some of the Jeep trucks and Wagoneers as well as some boats.

http://jubileejeeps.org/327/

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Those valve covers and intake look more like a Y-block Ford that a Chevy "327". Keep after it!!!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The motor in AZ was a weird one since it was a 66 Jeep but clearly not a 327. The thing that tipped me off was the headers. They look like a SBC, whereas the AMC 3/5 4/6 cylinders are siamese.

Once i called the guy to confirm what it was he realized it was a 360.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org...7-v8/7183581232.html

Posts: 5 | Location: No | Registered: August 17, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Back in the saddle boys. Found one about an hour away from me and the guy actually responded (weird).
My dad and i are planning on heading out there this weekend. Thanks again for all of your help!

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Got back from Hesperia, (320 mile round trip) around noon with the 327. The next step is to tear it apart and start the rebuild process. Again, thanks to everyone who contributed in the search process, Brian (BTM7500)and I appreciate the help.

Bob

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
That is outstanding news! Smile Please keep us up on the progress. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1234 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
That's awesome. Glad you finally found one before your deadline.

Best of luck with the rest of the project.

Joe