DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    what do you think.....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what do you think.....
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
my local track is thinking about a race at the end of the year that will have a twist on it. it is kind of a cross between street outlaws chip draw and a blind bracket race. yes, I was confused as well.

this is how it would work.

no time run.
no reaction times or et's will be shown or known. to you or anyone. first round chip draw for pairings and run order. both drivers will give a dial in and a spot will be in the tree. no cross talk but tree top lights will be adjusted so you can cross over but they will do no crosstalk for bottom bulb folks. stage, run, and win light. you never know what you ran and how you turned loose.

2nd round same thing. chip draw, tell dial ins stage and race.

5k to win. if they can get a sponsor for the purse this will be a free race except for a spectator fee at the gate.

basically it is a blind race to a point. you know what your car should run and you know what you need in the box so you know close to what you are doing. but you never really know.

does this make sense? I can try to clarify any questions because I was confused at first myself. it basically a normal bracket race except you don't know anything. my track operator is trying to think outside the box and come up with something fun and different and see what people think. it would be at the end of the year before we all hibernate for the winter.

yes. no. crazy. dumb. good. bad. just trying to get some feed back for the track.

ep-it will be called the Blind Squirrel Nationals

Posts: 764 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
also. no buybacks.

ep

Posts: 764 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
It makes a good shootout as an add-on to a larger event, but it is highly unlikely to work as a standalone event. Gaylon Rolison has been doing Ghost Race/Out The Gate shootouts for years.

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

Posts: 5734 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pauley:
also. no buybacks.

ep

I'm in. Big Grin Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Ken MacNicol
posted Hide Post
I just won a few weeks ago. The only thing different was no change of bulb angle.

Posts: 38 | Location: Hendersonville, Tenn. | Registered: December 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
it is interesting to hear Beard and Ken that this has been done. not surprised I supposed. I have not heard of a race like this before.

Ken. is the race something you liked or just ran to be running. I imagine you liked it since you got the W.

Beard does Gaylon get a fair amount of support for his races?

I think Tony Brown at Union Dragway is trying to come up with something different to expose people to Union and let them see what they have to offer. this would be a one off event and if folks like it may be an annual event. flip side is if interest is not there he will scratch it.

also to Ken and Beard. is there anything at those races you would change or improve on?

ep

ep

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pauley:
it is interesting to hear Beard and Ken that this has been done. not surprised I supposed. I have not heard of a race like this before.

Ken. is the race something you liked or just ran to be running. I imagine you liked it since you got the W.

Beard does Gaylon get a fair amount of support for his races?

I think Tony Brown at Union Dragway is trying to come up with something different to expose people to Union and let them see what they have to offer. this would be a one off event and if folks like it may be an annual event. flip side is if interest is not there he will scratch it.

also to Ken and Beard. is there anything at those races you would change or improve on?

ep
Paying more than $1200 to win would be a start…
ep

Posts: 1259 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
They are typically a 16 or 32 car shootout. ACE Ohio Events' Summer Slam is doing a 32 car Blind Squirrel next week.

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

Posts: 5734 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
That's a long drive for me with no buybacks. How many entries am I allowed?

Posts: 522 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Dees:
That's a long drive for me with no buybacks. How many entries am I allowed?

B*ybacks make the drive shorter? Wink Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Nope, it don't change the drive, but with no time run, I gotta get some batting practice somehow. Cool

Posts: 522 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Tom, you gonna go and support the no buyback format? If you go, I'll go.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tom, you gonna go and support the no buyback format? If you go, I'll go.

Where is it? I tried to figure that out by reading between the lines, but I'm still not sure. Take care. Tom Worthington

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Huge advantage for locals who regularly race at that track. It would still be mostly luck though.

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
make sure to bring Dragy Big Grin

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Tom, I think from what EP said that it is Union Dragway.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tom, I think from what EP said that it is Union Dragway.

If that is correct, it would be a 293 mile drive for me. I'm gonna have to pass. Take care. Tom Worthington

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
gotta have a lot of faith in the track / promoter running the event.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 743 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
That track is pretty new and the promoter, Tony Brown I think, has always been a straight shooter.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woody B:
Huge advantage for locals who regularly race at that track. It would still be mostly luck though.

That's my thought as well. May as well pull the arm on a slot machine and save the miles on the tow vehicle.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6409 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post