DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Race cars for sale and future of Racing.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Race cars for sale and future of Racing.
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted
Has anyone else noticed that last month or two WAY MORE race and muscle cars than usual are up for sale?

Some are pretty good prices to and I am not the only one who noticed it. One opinion I heard was that racing and gas powered vehicles in general are in trouble. Could be that the age group of racing and car collecting is getting older and not many younger people joining in.

I am not selling any of my cars and not quitting racing although I am concerned about the future of racing. Right now it seems fairly stable but it is dropping and at some point bottom could fall out. People are quitting racing, car counts are dropping, tracks are closing down and cost of racing is going up. There are a few races that are having good turnouts makes me wonder if people are just picking and choosing a few of their favorites and going to them while missing the others.

Point is it looks like things are changing.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4035 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
Has anyone else noticed that last month or two WAY MORE race and muscle cars than usual are up for sale?

Some are pretty good prices to and I am not the only one who noticed it. One opinion I heard was that racing and gas powered vehicles in general are in trouble. Could be that the age group of racing and car collecting is getting older and not many younger people joining in.

I am not selling any of my cars and not quitting racing although I am concerned about the future of racing. Right now it seems fairly stable but it is dropping and at some point bottom could fall out. People are quitting racing, car counts are dropping, tracks are closing down and cost of racing is going up. There are a few races that are having good turnouts makes me wonder if people are just picking and choosing a few of their favorites and going to them while missing the others.

Point is it looks like things are changing.

I think all of your observations are valid, but I also think there is another obvious and current factor: The Economy. I suspect many folks are liquidating some of their "toys". Things that currently have a fairly high value, but may soon have little or no value at all. Just my opinion. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1234 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
I agree with you guys.
The writing is on the wall.
Will our sport dry up over night, no, but in the next few years it will slowly get worse.

Heck, here in CT we already have laws that outlaw gas lawn mowers in some towns along with NO mowing lawns on weekends (electric mower or not).
We have our gas tax going up 5 cents per gallon every month for the next 6 months just because, even though we have a $1.35 BILLION surplus.
They have to milk the working class to give to the stay at home dooners to keep their FREE STUFF flowing so they can get voted back in.

Also, let's not forget that the real estate these tracks are on is worth more than being a drag strip.

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pentastarrail:
I agree with you guys.
The writing is on the wall.
Will our sport dry up over night, no, but in the next few years it will slowly get worse.

Heck, here in CT we already have laws that outlaw gas lawn mowers in some towns along with NO mowing lawns on weekends (electric mower or not).
We have our gas tax going up 5 cents per gallon every month for the next 6 months just because, even though we have a $1.35 BILLION surplus.
They have to milk the working class to give to the stay at home dooners to keep their FREE STUFF flowing so they can get voted back in.

Also, let's not forget that the real estate these tracks are on is worth more than being a drag strip.

Your gas tax is going up because they arent collecting revenue from electric vehicles that are using the roads that gas pays for

Posts: 795 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Drag racing and bracket racing has been dying a slow death for 3 decades, nothing about this is overnight. Baby boomers are retiring from racing, in declining health and dying. Further America fell out of love for their cars decades ago. No longer has a car culture, schools no longer have auto shop, you can no longer go to the local junk yard and get engines, transmissions and rears to build or fix your car and teenage boys nor their girlfriends no longer think owning a car no mind a “hot rod” is cool, so of course what we do is dying. As for the cost, nothing cost what it did 30 years ago and everything goes up in price and the #1 reason why tracks are closing is because the land is worth so much money, in some cases millions.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by racerdude2054:

Your gas tax is going up because they arent collecting revenue from electric vehicles that are using the roads that gas pays for

It will continue to climb and higher tolls too

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 743 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom396:

I think all of your observations are valid, but I also think there is another obvious and current factor: The Economy. I suspect many folks are liquidating some of their "toys". Things that currently have a fairly high value, but may soon have little or no value at all. Just my opinion. Take care. Tom Worthington

I have been concerned about the economy for a while but seeing all these nice cars come up for sale sure makes me think they are wanting to get out while the getting is good. Already appears market may be flooded and prices going down. If it does get really bad like a Depression those same cars would be almost worthless.

Our next Presidential election will determine if we have the right to own guns, gas powered cars or even if we have a border at all. It will determine if your children are yours or the property of the Government and Media.

These problems we have today were CREATED by our Government and will get worse. The Government will expect us to pay for it in Taxes and loss of Freedoms. Then they will create the next Crisis to take more power and Freedom. Biden has said Climate Change and White Supremacist are the greatest threat to our Democracy. We are not the problem. Government is and we are the ones they want to control or eliminate.

The next Presidential election will determine if we have a thriving powerful energy independent economy of if we are a Third World Country controlled by an elite ruling class.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4035 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
It all starts with TV production. TV production can convince the masses of anything the establishment (ruling class) deems necessary for management purposes.

If the current Libtard Elite Globalist establishment remains in power, fossil fuels will be abolished and the majority of "speciest's" still alive in 2030, will be living in closet apartments eating poisonous bugs that soft kill them gradually.

I'm presuming by the comments in here, none of ya'll watched Elon Musk on the Tucker Carlson show discussing the anti-human world currently being rolled out.

The silicone tree less, plant less , cow less, carbon less, trans human robot world.

The world in which those who are pro-human will be known as "speciest's".

You might wanna watch a replay of that, for a clue.

If they're doing away with cows because they f a r t, where's that leave you?

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Drag racing and bracket racing has been dying a slow death for 3 decades, nothing about this is overnight. Baby boomers are retiring from racing, in declining health and dying. Further America fell out of love for their cars decades ago. No longer has a car culture, schools no longer have auto shop, you can no longer go to the local junk yard and get engines, transmissions and rears to build or fix your car and teenage boys nor their girlfriends no longer think owning a car no mind a “hot rod” is cool, so of course west we do is dying. As for the fist, nothing cost what it did 30 years ago and everything goes up in price and the #1 reason why Travis are closing is because the land is worth so much money, in some cases millions.

^^^^This 1000000%!!!! If ya'll seem shocked by this you probably should have got your head out of the sand 20 years ago...

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by I Hate Dragsters:
quote:
Drag racing and bracket racing has been dying a slow death for 3 decades, nothing about this is overnight. Baby boomers are retiring from racing, in declining health and dying. Further America fell out of love for their cars decades ago. No longer has a car culture, schools no longer have auto shop, you can no longer go to the local junk yard and get engines, transmissions and rears to build or fix your car and teenage boys nor their girlfriends no longer think owning a car no mind a “hot rod” is cool, so of course west we do is dying. As for the fist, nothing cost what it did 30 years ago and everything goes up in price and the #1 reason why Travis are closing is because the land is worth so much money, in some cases millions.

^^^^This 1000000%!!!! If ya'll seem shocked by this you probably should have got your head out of the sand 20 years ago...

Twenty years ago sounds about right, that's about when the damages of the De-Industrialization of the United States started showing itself at local drag strips .

No discretionary money means no drag racing for enthusiasts.

And people wonder what happened to local bracket racing.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by I Hate Dragsters:
quote:

Yep, more racers are leaving and fewer and fwer are going into the sport. All junior dragsters did was create a bunch of kids wanting to jump into racks of pipe instead of getting them involved in building a hotrod. Kids these days couldn't care less about hotrods. They want imports and to go drifting. They want rusty hoods and lowered cars that ride like bricks with **** cans and tires that rub the fenders.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 743 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Lots of cars for sale for lots of reasons. I sold my 65GTO conv and 66 442 3 years ago and still have another 65GTO hardtop. My race car is a 65 Olds 442 with an Olds engine. Hard to get parts for. I race much less than I used to because with all the technology its just not as much fun as it used to be. I am 82 years old so all my friends at the tracks are 1/2 my age but most of them put up with me. Everyone, including me, needs to support their LOCAL track giving it a reason to stay open. And track owners need to do things to keep us coming. I remember when racing almost died in the 60s because class racing (SS, S, etc)had become the person with the most money wins then came bracket racing. That also has been taken over now by money in a different way, I won't elaborate.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The only reason local bracket racing exists to the extent it does today, is because of the expanded credit.

Bubble economies.

If it weren't for the bubble economies / expanded credit, local drag racing would've already died overnight.

It's called gradualism, they pull the rug out from under you slowly.

Then they give you a story to recite/regurgitate that serves their interests, like for instance, it was a natural evolution drag racing died, or any grassroots hobby that takes discretionary money.

Kids aren't into cars because they don't have two dimes to rub together, same as the majority of their parents, other than the expanded credit issued as a substitute for a decent wage.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
CHANGE is and always has been part of America

The Car culture is dying with the Boomer generation for the most part

It's not coming back ....

Drag racing will disappear in maybe 10 years at best....

Making believe otherwise is a fantasy in your head.....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:

Kids aren't into cars because they don't have two dimes to rub together, same as the majority of their parents, other than the expanded credit issued as a substitute for a decent wage.

All a result of the De-Industrialization of the United States.

Americans now work part time retail sales clerk jobs ringing up the goods, they used to manufacture while making a decent wage which resulted in discretionary money for hobby's like drag racing.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
These problems we have today were CREATED by our Government and will get worse. We are not the problem. Government is.

Wrong and Wrong

WE created the problems we have today and WE are the problem, every congressman, senator and the president were elected to the office they hold by WE THE PEOPLE!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:

Quoted for the TRUTH!

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Reyer:
All junior dragsters did was create a bunch of kids wanting to jump into racks of pipe instead of getting them involved in building a hotrod.

The junior dragster program original intend was to brung new blood to the sport and it’s clear it failed miserably as I’ll bet far less than 10% of junior drivers are still competing 5 years after aging out of juniors.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I think most of you are right and have valid points. I would also say it is not just the economy our children have changed. We grew up running around Grandparents farm, riding bicycles, fishing, hunting, working on cars etc.

Children now days live in a Virtual World on computer. Even many of us myself included spend too much time on internet. The internet has changed everything and not all of it is good.

The Economy is going downhill fast and it could lead to a real Depression. We may have more to worry about than losing our sport or hobby we may have to worry about survival. During the first Depression most everyone had 20 acres, a garden, some chickens and pigs maybe a few cattle and they survived. It was rough but they made it. Now with everyone living in city or apartments how could you raise and grow your own food? How could you feed your family? And very few would have jobs.
Government will take care of you? How is that they have already maxed out the credit cards and can not pay what they have already spent.

So I guess part of my question is with all of the cars going up for sale now and with Economy as it is right now are we on the edge of something much bigger? Not saying that to be Doom and Gloom but to be prepared if it gets worse.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Of the 40-50 juniors i raced, I can think of 6 or 7 that still race.

All 6 or 7 were the kids that their parents made them work on their cars if they wanted to race...

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
It's the economy - people in over their heads have to sell when the economy goes bad. It has happened before and will happen again.

Mike

Posts: 1566 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post