DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Race cars for sale and future of Racing.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Race cars for sale and future of Racing.
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
It obviously has a lot to do with what area you live in...

Land values and urban development spells doom for most tracks....the economics are just not in a track owners favor....

Posts: 2734 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Lots of stuff is for sale to take advantage of the market condition.
Turn key race cars and complete engines are bringing more $$$ due to the lack of components and outrageous costs to build new.

I wouldn't have sold my old dually if it hadn't brought more than twice what I paid for it 20 years ago.

Thanks to idiotic government moves, that's still only worth 1/3 of 2002 value, so there's that.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1810 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Dees:
Eman, if you listened to this bunch, you would have sold your racing operation years ago. Bracket racing has been dying since .com experts decided it would. About the only truth here is that land values will force dragstrips to close. It remains to be seen if new ones will be built ****her from population centers to replace the ones that close.

If you listened to half of the gloom and doomers you'd blow your brains out after killing your family!
I always take a good look around and judge from that. I look at tracks within a few hundred mile radius from me and I'm amazed at the improvements that they have been doing. I just saw pics of the paving equipment at Farmington. Knoxville near me has done an amazing amount of work over the last 2 years and is getting great support from all of the community around it. English Mountain has gotten sanctioned and has done a lot of improvements. A lot of other tracks that were outlaws for a long time have sanctioned and started bracket programs.
Look at Racing junk or FB marketplace and what car prices have jumped to, and they are selling. Cars that were 20k cars are now in the 30k's. plenty of Bay Boomers living out their dreams with a motorhome, an enclosed and a racecar. Harley's are yesterdays Boomer Dream now it's drag cars after the street outlaw craze. Double entry was just for the few a few years ago now even local tracks sell weekend double entry specials. Enginebuilders aren't sitting around waiting for parts, they are busy building as fast as they can. Local dirt track has been packed the last 2 races and one was on a Thursday night benefitting from the Bristol crowd.
If you ever want to get excited about racing attend a Southeast Gassers event. They will pack the house and put on a show like you haven't seen in decades and they have no lack of participants.

Posts: 1561 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Since this is a race car for sale thread....

Posts: 2527 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Many chassis builders have 2 year wait lists right now. Hard to say it’s gonna be all gone and no race cars in 10 years just from that alone

Posts: 852 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Every track in my area was packed out this past weekend. Darlington was not good from what i heard for what ever reason. Southeast gassers did pack out Shadyside dragway this weekend as well. I guess we are lucky that we have plenty of options in my neck of the woods.

ep

Posts: 776 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Our local and regional races have never been better. Lots of young drivers and plenty of No Box and Box door cars.
Sure, it will change, what doesn't change.
i am 72 and still love the work it takes to get the S10 ready, motorhome, trailer and all the STUFF to go to a three day bracket race. Biggest payouts in Iowa, EVER! Don't have any intention of chasing $100K races but loving the Triple $7000 and 2-11,000 weekends (6 of them within 100 miles.
Don't panic, there is plenty of bullship for everyone already. MAYBE-Bracket Racing is the only CAR THING that will survive. NASCAR sure doesn't look promising LOL!!

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
There are obviously LOTs of factors here. The national economy. The local economies. The local racing scene.
Jr's wax and wane. I think there are limits and always have been to how many will participate there. Add to that the fact that the sh1thole urban areas aren't going to produce any jr participants, and the urban areas are a big piece of our population.
But there are some real bright spots. Both of our local track are under new, and outstanding ownership. Lots of new energy and it's bringing racers that once strictly traveled, back to the area to race. Also there are some regional mid money races that are crazy popular right now.
Another thing that I have seen a LOT of adding to YOUNG people having more interest, of all things....is the LS engine. Look at some of these street tv events and many of them are ls based. A lot of the new builds I am seeing are ls based. These folks don't need to be engine building experts to keep these things together even cresting triple digit hp outputs. Plus, the aftermarket now has all kinds of EFI support, which is great for the younger generations getting in.
I'm not into all these influencers in our sport. But nobody can argue that they aren't......influential. Even us dinosaurs can see that. Will drag racing eventually fizzle? Of course. Hell human kind will eventually fizzle. But there is more life in it right now than I have seen in a good long while.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6446 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
Saying drag racing is healthy because one or two individual races or series is doing well is like saying a guy with a terminal illness must be healthy because he can still get an erection.
Yes, that one race may have been packed but there isn't a track out there that can survive on just one or 2 successful races a year. It's definitely a great thing when a track does renovations and gets a jump in attendance but you also have to factor in the 4-5 other tracks that shut their doors before you take it as a win. Car culture is dying as we know it... sure it is also changing, but the percentage of people who are true "gearheads" in any form has been declining for years. Considering that most of the new blood in brackets today probably used to race juniors, I wouldn't call it a failure - how many people who used to play little league still play baseball? Again though, for every 1 fresh face in the staging lanes over the last few years I can name 5 people who packed it in and sold their stuff. And stop believing the NHRA's "sellout crowd" promotional hype & marketing bull$hiite... they have X-number of seats in the bleachers and sell x-number of tickets so now they can thump their chest about "sellout crowds" to their sponsors & business partners. You can bet your azz they never "sold out" and stopped selling tickets!!! Did you ever meet ANYONE who said "we tried to go to the Gatornationals but the tickets were sold out"!?!?! Anybody (like me) who has been going to National events for 20+ years remembers when the place was so packed that you had better get a spot on the fence or a spot in the stands before Pro-Stock started the next round or you weren't going to be able to see ANYTHING because a seat in the bleachers was out of the question and the fence was packed 4-5 people deep. I'd bet good money that the attendance numbers of today are a far cry from the 70's - 90's. Not to mention, back then it wasn't uncommon to get 25+ pro cars trying to qualify for a 16 car field yet today many events struggle just to get a full field. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure our hobby will still exist in some form for another 10,20 maybe even 30 years but if you're thinking it's "healthy as ever" then you are probably either very young or have your head in the sand.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 649 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Tell 'em Billy !!

Been there...done that !

Posts: 2734 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
3 have closed in MD--at least 3 in VA. How many left in FL. Some great tracks here in NC but none that I know of have a weekly bracket program, every week. Lots of cars sitting around here including mine. I raced 4 times last year and 3 were in other states. Specialty races usually do pretty well but weekly is another story.

Posts: 6265 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BD104X:
Saying drag racing is healthy because one or two individual races or series is doing well is like saying a guy with a terminal illness must be healthy because he can still get an erection.
Yes, that one race may have been packed but there isn't a track out there that can survive on just one or 2 successful races a year. It's definitely a great thing when a track does renovations and gets a jump in attendance but you also have to factor in the 4-5 other tracks that shut their doors before you take it as a win. Car culture is dying as we know it... sure it is also changing, but the percentage of people who are true "gearheads" in any form has been declining for years. Considering that most of the new blood in brackets today probably used to race juniors, I wouldn't call it a failure - how many people who used to play little league still play baseball? Again though, for every 1 fresh face in the staging lanes over the last few years I can name 5 people who packed it in and sold their stuff. And stop believing the NHRA's "sellout crowd" promotional hype & marketing bull$hiite... they have X-number of seats in the bleachers and sell x-number of tickets so now they can thump their chest about "sellout crowds" to their sponsors & business partners. You can bet your azz they never "sold out" and stopped selling tickets!!! Did you ever meet ANYONE who said "we tried to go to the Gatornationals but the tickets were sold out"!?!?! Anybody (like me) who has been going to National events for 20+ years remembers when the place was so packed that you had better get a spot on the fence or a spot in the stands before Pro-Stock started the next round or you weren't going to be able to see ANYTHING because a seat in the bleachers was out of the question and the fence was packed 4-5 people deep. I'd bet good money that the attendance numbers of today are a far cry from the 70's - 90's. Not to mention, back then it wasn't uncommon to get 25+ pro cars trying to qualify for a 16 car field yet today many events struggle just to get a full field. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure our hobby will still exist in some form for another 10,20 maybe even 30 years but if you're thinking it's "healthy as ever" then you are probably either very young or have your head in the sand.

I agree with you there. I do think the next Presidential election will have a big part in how long our sport / hobby lasts but it will not change the inevitable. I am concerned we may be getting close to where it drops off real quickly. Right now even as Ed says it has been dying a slow death.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4236 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
3 have closed in MD--at least 3 in VA. How many left in FL. Some great tracks here in NC but none that I know of have a weekly bracket program, every week. Lots of cars sitting around here including mine. I raced 4 times last year and 3 were in other states. Specialty races usually do pretty well but weekly is another story.

Yup... and now the 1 or 2 remaining tracks get a bump in attendance and everyone gets excited. Meanwhile, dozens of local racers who don't want to travel 3+ hours to race every week either park or sell their stuff.

I agree with you there. I do think the next Presidential election will have a big part in how long our sport / hobby lasts but it will not change the inevitable. I am concerned we may be getting close to where it drops off real quickly. Right now even as Ed says it has been dying a slow death.[/QUOTE]

The economy may effect the timeline some, but the decline of the American love affair with cars in general has been happening for years. I read somewhere that the number of kids who go and get their license as soon as they become eligible has declined in this country for the first time since WWII.

Posts: 649 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
According to NHRA Bandimere, spelling, in Denver is closing at the end of the year. So another one bites the dust

Posts: 6265 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
According to NHRA Bandimere, spelling, in Denver is closing at the end of the year. So another one bites the dust

Three major stops on the NHRA tour bite the dust in a single year but I saw drone footage of a "sellout crowd" in Gainesville... DRAG RACING IS HEALTHY AS EVER! lol

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Drag racing is a lot of things but healthy it ain’t!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Agenda 2030, no gasoline powered cars.

The closer we get to that, the more they'll drop like fly's.

Hard Truth

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
For once I agree with both Ed and Mike on that one.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4236 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Here's how insane the freaks are behind all this.

We aren't in Kansas anymore

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
Anyone that believes that America is not in decline hasn't looked around much. Once we lose the dollar as the world's currency, it's over for us.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 561 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post