DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    why the rush to burnout
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

why the rush to burnout
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Watching Spring Fling and again noticing the guys rushing to get in to water for burnout. Driving up to car in front of them while he is till backing up. Must have seen20 cars almost back into guy behind him.

I understand getting round run off quick as possible with a lot of cars. Backing over someone is not going to speed it up. I can under stand pulling up to bleach box with front end past it, I also know most guys stop close to stage.Key word most.
Why the rush? explain

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I agree, I see this in a lot of places, saw it several times yesterday at bracket finals. Accident waiting happen.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Guess I notice it a lot becuse with my FED I usually have to backup little more to get lined up exactly like I want and Having wheelie bar out back. I would hate to bust somebody's front end up while backing.

Watched this cpl years ago at rocking ham big money race and the guy pulling foward was pissed at the guy who backed into him. Well ever notice dragster don't have review mirrors? The deal sucks but its not really on the guy backing.after all its actually his area from his burn out till he leaves line on the run.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
heck explain to me why the new fad for door cars is to burnout across the line.. 6.60 door car doesnt need a top sportsman burnout.. just saying

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1395 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RacerVX54:
heck explain to me why the new fad for door cars is to burnout across the line.. 6.60 door car doesnt need a top sportsman burnout.. just saying

I've seen a few that could barely do a burnout roll way across the starting line and take forever to back up.....not sure what they are thinking but it's pretty dumb if you ask me

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

All depends how far the water is dragged forward from the water box. Watch some of the dragsters go through the water box at speed, then slam on the brakes, then mash the gas. Then you have water from the box to where they mashed the gas. Some cars drag it out when they drive through the box, stop and back up through the box, and then forward well past the box.

I normally drive through and 5’ past the box, stop, line lock and do my BO. If the water is being dragged out, I’m driving past it and doing my BO which puts me past the start line sometimes. 6.40@113

Posts: 2459 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:

All depends how far the water is dragged forward from the water box. Watch some of the dragsters go through the water box at speed, then slam on the brakes, then mash the gas. Then you have water from the box to where they mashed the gas. Some cars drag it out when they drive through the box, stop and back up through the box, and then forward well past the box.

I normally drive through and 5’ past the box, stop, line lock and do my BO. If the water is being dragged out, I’m driving past it and doing my BO which puts me past the start line sometimes. 6.40@113

Normally Dragster run after door cars at these big races i doubt thats is the cause

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1395 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Not to make it door car or dragster thing. Could be door car spinning tire in water and getting tubs wet.

I don't really have issue with long burn outs, then I am a showman and love the he11 out of doing them. Not as much fun as TA/D was. Length of burnout was determined by how much abuse you want to do to valvetrain( I am abusive at times). I do get that it holds up the race.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:

Normally Dragster run after door cars at these big races i doubt thats is the cause

There'sno doubting about it.... Markemark just told ya why, at times door cars burnout across the starting line. If the water is drug out 40ft past the burnout box, then 40ft out past the burnout box is the new starting point for burnouts.

Some tracks have a short lead up to the starting line from the burnout box Immokolee used to be like this and we'd have to back up to stage.

It just depends on the distance from where the burnout starts. I do a long burnout, I'd rather not backup but will if I have to, just depends where the burnout starts in accordance to the starting line. If there's 30 ft to do a burnout, I'm crossing the starting line.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
Watching Spring Fling and again noticing the guys rushing to get in to water for burnout. Driving up to car in front of them while he is till backing up. Must have seen20 cars almost back into guy behind him.

I understand getting round run off quick as possible with a lot of cars. Backing over someone is not going to speed it up. I can under stand pulling up to bleach box with front end past it, I also know most guys stop close to stage.Key word most.
Why the rush? explain

I've never raced at a track where I wasn't in the water when the car in front was still backing up.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SP 124X:
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:

Why the rush? explain

I've never raced at a track where I wasn't in the water when the car in front was still backing up.

I think the question was, why? What time does that save? I generally wait for the car in front of me to make a forward move after backing up if they do back up. That give them plenty of time to stage and me plenty of time to be in the water by the time they leave. Many tracks want the car ahead of you to clear 100 feet or so before having the next car burn out. So I get the question....why the rush?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6406 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
a non bracket racer complaining about the timing and SOP of putting the next pair of racers in the water while the pair in front of them are backing from their burnout. Didn't think of that

only on Bracket Talk WhatEver

quote:
Originally posted by SP 124X:

yep

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Rodney Pryor
posted Hide Post
I’ve noticed it more at the last 2 Fling races. It seems more of an issue with the dragsters. The pair coming into the burnout box pulls way forward before the pair on the starting is making their forward staging motions. Definitely looks like a potential accident waiting to happen.

Posts: 116 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
again, SOP happens everywhere in all classes and including at NHRA events and it's been the way it's done for a very long time.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rodney Pryor:
I’ve noticed it more at the last 2 Fling races. It seems more of an issue with the dragsters. The pair coming into the burnout box pulls way forward before the pair on the starting is making their forward staging motions. Definitely looks like a potential accident waiting to happen.

The camera angle from the Big money races online make it seem MUCH closer than it is. When you see a side shot you can see they are not nearly as close as it looks.

That being said every race track in the country has you pull in the box after the other car does it's burnout. If they didn't it would add substantial time to the event, especially something like a Fling or The Million. May be only 30-45 seconds per pair but multiply that by a few hundred pair...

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
It's a dance everyone is in on. They'd have 250 to 300 cars / motorcycles every Friday night at Sunshine, with four classes to complete between 8 oclock and midnight.

Have it in reverse JUST in case the guy in front you backs up too far.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
the topic is a non issue!

DRR Trophy
Picture of Rodney Pryor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TonyB6255:
quote:
Originally posted by Rodney Pryor:

The camera angle from the Big money races online make it seem MUCH closer than it is. When you see a side shot you can see they are not nearly as close as it looks.

That being said every race track in the country has you pull in the box after the other car does it's burnout. If they didn't it would add substantial time to the event, especially something like a Fling or The Million. May be only 30-45 seconds per pair but multiply that by a few hundred pair...

I was at GALOT and saw it first hand. IMO it is more about the pair coming into the burnout box pulling way forward of the burnout box before the previous pair has finished backing up. I understand the 2nd pair needs to be in the burnout box timely to keep the program moving.

Posts: 116 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I pull into the water when directed to do so by a track official. Tracks with a very short burnout area will have you wait until the pair ahead has launched, ones with more room will bring you into the water after the pair ahead has started their burnout. A few tracks will wait until the pair ahead has pre-staged before allowing you to proceed.

Posts: 521 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Reason I bring this up is. Having wheelie bar out back and trying to tell other I night be backing up more, but no promise I remember every time. Again no rearview mirrors on car and it you are pulling wat out of bleach box it could cause issue.
Again I understand need for quick runs especially when lot of cars, but having a bump up is not going to make it run smoother or quicker. Seems staying back till other car is staged or at least pulling forward is just good sense.