DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    why the rush to burnout
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

why the rush to burnout
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
My observation is that people pull water up way to far. I rarely back up and 2 of the few times I have it has caused a problem. Once I backed up on my own and knocked down my friends wife who was bent over picking up something behind me. The other I was being motioned back by a starting line official and hit someone who had pulled up passed the water. So my suggestion is do YOUR thing, safely.

Posts: 6216 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TonyB6255:

The camera angle from the Big money races online make it seem MUCH closer than it is. When you see a side shot you can see they are not nearly as close as it looks.[QUOTE]

WE HAVE A WINNER.... clapping

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
My observation is that people pull water up way to far. I rarely back up and 2 of the few times I have it has caused a problem. Once I backed up on my own and knocked down my friends wife who was bent over picking up something behind me. The other I was being motioned back by a starting line official and hit someone who had pulled up passed the water. So my suggestion is do YOUR thing, safely.

To Ferns defense . It sounds like two bad cases of others not watching what is going on. Watching Garlits old crew chief get killed because of getting something off track and a driver coming back way faster than most. I try to keep one eye on the car staging and the one entering burn out If I am in that area.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4203 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Matrix
posted Hide Post
Might be more so the camera angle than anything else. I dont hear anyone that was at the fling races complaining about it.

Daryl Pinder

Dynasty Motorsports
www.dynastymotorsports.com

Posts: 456 | Location: Ft. Washington, MD USA | Registered: March 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
It's a dance everyone is in on. It's not an issue to have your shifter in reverse, JUST in case the guy in front of you backs up further than you anticipate he will.

If the guy in front of you backs up further than you expect him to, you back up as he approaches the front of your car. 99.99% of the time this won't be required.

It's not like he wants to back up into the water again, after already doing his burnout.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I watched a Top Fuel car back OVER a crew member at Phoenix years ago. His back was toward the car and he never saw it until it ran over him. He got hung up under the left side header so the crew had to lift the car off of him. He was one very unhappy camper while stuck under that header, I know it left a mark.

Ya just can't say this enough times:

The staging lanes and the starting line can be dangerous places, I've seen a lot of serious accidents happen, most of them due to someone with tunnel vision while filming or simply not paying attention. This is also not the place to conduct that last minute trans brake test. Sometimes the most dangerous place at the track isn't IN a race car but STANDING near one.

Off the road box.

Bob

Posts: 3088 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Exactly and as to that... friends, girlfriends/wives, family members all aka “crew” that have no business being any closer to these cars than the ready line because they have no clue to the dangers.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
One last word.

I watched Pete and Kyle's Million last Saturday and Sunday and saw several cars complete their burn out then back up and stop a foot or two past the starting line. While backing up you can see the staging beams light up as you pass through them. That reduces the distance (and time) necessary to pull forward and into the pre-stage beam. If you are soooo far out of the groove backing up and/or can't see your tracks perhaps it's time to work on that skill.

Cranking the steering wheel while backing up in a car with a spool can create it's own issues, especially if you do it late in the process.

We are all creatures of habit, stopping sooner might actually be a good habit to develop.

Bob

Posts: 3088 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
I watched a Top Fuel car back OVER a crew member at Phoenix years ago. His back was toward the car and he never saw it until it ran over him. He got hung up under the left side header so the crew had to lift the car off of him. He was one very unhappy camper while stuck under that header, I know it left a mark.

Ya just can't say this enough times:

The staging lanes and the starting line can be dangerous places, I've seen a lot of serious accidents happen, most of them due to someone with tunnel vision while filming or simply not paying attention. This is also not the place to conduct that last minute trans brake test. Sometimes the most dangerous place at the track isn't IN a race car but STANDING near one.

Off the road box.

Bob

People take for granted just how dangerous of a place it is. There are people of all ages including very old and young children. The clueless are there, some behind the wheel. People more and more want to be up at the starting line. I don't want to be up at the starting line with a bunch of people. Way too much going on for all the distractions. And people who don't pay attention to the cars backing up. Hell these machines and drivers aren't perfect either. Somehow leave one in reverse, or wheel turned hard or one of a thousand possibilities. Rotating part comes loose. It's no place for a bunch of people.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6413 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I was walking next to a dragster doing a burnout and the transmission case broke, it shot the planetary gears over my head LoL! POS had a stock case! Beware of those up there!! Stock case stand back, it could go off like a grenade at any time!

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Exactly and as to that... friends, girlfriends/wives, family members all aka “crew” that have no business being any closer to these cars than the ready line because they have no clue to the dangers.

If I was in charge nobody but the driver, strapped into the vehicle, would be allowed past the head of staging at any bracket race - period, end of story. I just can't figure how people can't find the water box or the staging beams without help.

Mike

Posts: 1566 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlyFox:
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:

If I was in charge nobody but the driver, strapped into the vehicle, would be allowed past the head of staging at any bracket race - period, end of story. I just can't figure how people can't find the water box or the staging beams without help.

The heads up racers sit low in the cars for low center of gravity. They run hoods that cover as much of the windshield as possible, for aerodynamics ( to keep as much high pressure off the top of the windshield).

Same with Pro Stock , Pro Mod. Their being guidedin the groove by the guy on the radio.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
My two cents: I don’t pull all the way into the water box until the car ahead is done backing up and starts moving forward. Have seen too many close calls. It surely isn’t holding the show up because he still needs to prestage, stage and leave before I can start the burnout.

I also do what Bob mentioned and just barely back through the beams.

Posts: 721 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
My two cents: I don’t pull all the way into the water box until the car ahead is done backing up and starts moving forward. Have seen too many close calls. It surely isn’t holding the show up because he still needs to prestage, stage and leave before I can start the burnout.

I also do what Bob mentioned and just barely back through the beams.

Agreed. However I do back past the beams a little ways so I can make sure I am lined up straight and in middle of groove. Doesn't take much.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6413 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I been racing over 60 years and could write a book on scary things I have seen at the starting line. Been involved in a few myself other than the 2 mentioned above. I believe it was Don Nicholson that left the starting line in reverse at Capitol up in MD in the 60s and went into the stands backwards and killed at least one. I had a front brake stay locked up after I released the line lock at Aquasco also in MD when the tree came down and I dropped the hammer I spun clear around twice---sure did clear the starting line.....Seen a buunch

Posts: 6216 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post