DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Gear vendor od unit
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gear vendor od unit
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of TPaton
posted
Has anyone ever used these? I took my 69 camaro off the track, and put the t350 back in it. It has a 550hp small block in it. It has 4.10's with 28" tall tires on it. I was looking at putting my 3.54's.back in it, but was reading up on the od units. Looking for.input from any who may have used them. I am looking at making it more street friendly.

Thanks

Posts: 105 | Location: PA | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
1 (619) 572-0060 , 1717 Magnolia Ave, El Cajon, Ca.

They can answer all your questions, all I can say is that they work really well. Lots of them in service around here, large motor homes, RV’s and street rods, their facility is less than 4 miles from my house.I have never heard a negative comment.

Bob

Posts: 3086 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TPaton
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bob.
I heard good things also. I will give them a call. Im just trying to decide if i should just change gears, in which is very easy, or add this unit for more versatility. Not an inexpensive unit, but i dont mind if its a good reliable unit. I also have to see how many mods i have to make.

Posts: 105 | Location: PA | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of McK_Racing
posted Hide Post
I have one in my street/strip '68 Camaro. I didn't want or need all the extra wiring that goes with the controller, so I just hooked it up to a floor-mounted dimmer switch that I turn off and on manually. I don't usually use it to split gears, just as an overdrive on the freeway. For that use, I wish it was geared higher. I guess they're trying to make it halfway between ratios on a three speed, but with a high-stall converter, 4.11 gears, and 28-inch tall tires, it drops about 400-500 RPM at 60 MPH (about 3100 to 2600 RPM).

It didn't require any tunnel mods on my Camaro, and was easy to install by myself in my garage. The speedo cable binds against the tunnel a little, ideally you'd need the 90-degree adapter, but I managed without it. You will need a shortened driveshaft if you get the standard tailshaft housing adapter. They do offer a shorter one so you can keep your driveshaft, but then you have to cut the tailshaft in the transmission, so you can't go back to stock.

It's plenty strong, and fun to hit first-over on the street instead of going all the way to high gear with my powerglide. It made about a 2 mpg improvement in highway mileage, so it will take quite a few miles before it pays for itself outright, but it's also a little quieter and less wear and tear on the engine over the long term.

Posts: 250 | Location: Northern Hemisphere | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post