DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Are We All Hackers?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are We All Hackers?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
"In any event, the teache… sorry… professor held up a brake rotor and explained, “This is a brake rotor,” To which I glanced around the room at some of the other students and heard, “Ooh. Ahh.”

https://dragracingedge.com/the.../are-we-all-hackers/

Posts: 154 | Location: Beaver Springs, PA | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
This is 100% true for me. I fixed cars with used parts, welded parts, and hacked up parts in my youth because it is all I had. Looking back, those were valuable lessons that remain with me to this day. Knowing how to "fix stuff" is a might fine skill.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1833 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
John I fit this group. I have done so much with so little for so long that I can now do about anything with nothing. I was born at home in a house with no electric, running water, indoor plumbing, etc. Had a wood cook stove, no car, no phone, and it was about 15mi to the little town. never finished high school. I have done very well and when I look around me and think about it---so much of what I have now wasn't even thought of when I was young. And I have done about everything as far as work. Friends say I can fix anything--thats a stretch but I will try. And still racing. Just got back from West Palm Beach. See you around

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
I never knew what I was until I read the article. I'm a hacker. In the eighties I got back into racing because my youngest needed extra Daddy time and liked cars. Having three kids and a stay at home wife meant funds were limited. I worked with what I had or bought what I could afford.

So we had this '65 Chevelle. It needed a 8.2 posi-traction so we could race. I was able to buy that and clean it up. Next I bought three of every carrier bearing shim Chevy sold for that axle. The boy and I spent three weeks of evenings setting up the new ring and pinion until it was right. That was the theme for the next six years. Hacker and Jr. Hacker Racing.

This was a great article John. It brought back some good memories of time well spent with a boy that needed it.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Good article!!! I graduated engineering and there were many of my classmates I wouldn't let change the batteries in my flashlight. Principles of engineering coupled with hands on use is hard to beat. One without the other can be dangerous. If given one or the other. Hands on every time.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BG7X77:
Good article!!! I graduated engineering and there were many of my classmates I wouldn't let change the batteries in my flashlight. Principles of engineering coupled with hands on use is hard to beat. One without the other can be dangerous. If given one or the other. Hands on every time.

I'm a BSME myself. I sure wouldn't trust some engineers with a wrench. But hacker I certainly am. Not supposed to dip into the 6's and 190 mph + with a sbc 23 degree heads, and turbos have no place on a dragster I have heard.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6406 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post