DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Motorhome Towing Capacity
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Motorhome Towing Capacity
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
I'm getting older and looking for a motorhome to tow my race car so I can have a place to relax in during the race day. Just looking for something small around 30 ft. Currently looking at a 31 ft fleet wood with 8.1 and Allison transmission and the tow weight capacity shows to be 3500 lbs. I've seen quite a few motor homes this size towing race cars and wonder how they can tow that much weight. Do the frames need to be reinforced to do this? I know very little about this and need to be educated before looking much more. Can y'all give me some help on this? Thanks in advance!!

Straightline Innovations - Performance Parts -Enclosed Trailer Screws

Posts: 75 | Location: Charlotte, Tn. | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The rear over hang is usually more of a limiting factor than the drivetrain. Have to watch the tongue weight.

Posts: 298 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have been towing for over 14 years with my gm chassised 5500 series class c . It has a 8.1 and a allison trans I due use a Trailer Toad hitch and a 28 ft. spread axle trailer-no problem been to Denver Braierd east to ohio south to I-57 over 70000 miles

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 426 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Weight wise, I have been RV towing for 50+ years with about everything and don't think any thing has been that light. But you need POWER and the 8.1 starts out pretty low. I currently have a 32ft Pace 3 axle 1ft extra high trailer, 3000ib car + all my "stuff" behind a 36ft Monaco RV with a 8.1 Cummins 350hp. I can top Fancy Gap on I-77 at 55mph on a hot day with no worries. I think the air bags keep it level as I use no type of leveling device. I set it up so the trailer at a standstill on a level spot is level. You won't hve over hang problems unless you get a gas one.

Posts: 6246 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I know they're more expensive but if you get a diesel engine you'll also get the diesel chassis...

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4520 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
That would be nice but it's just not in the budget. I can make do with the power of the 8.1 in a smaller motorhome. Just trying to figure out if I could make it work as far as the chassis goes. I would probably be pulling roughly 7000 lbs give or take. Thanks for the replies.

Posts: 75 | Location: Charlotte, Tn. | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Break out the welder and start welding in braces to the MH frame and get a proper hitch

Posts: 2516 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
get a diesel or a trailer toad....

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1543 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
Break out the welder and start welding in braces to the MH frame and get a proper hitch

THIS....or get a diesel.....although I've seen MANY regular class A & C couches towing happily down the road...maybe they're all reinforced underneath....

And a trailer toad helps a bunch...only downside is if you have a lot of toll roads...that extra toad axle gets charged everytime....

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4520 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
quote:

THIS....or get a diesel.....although I've seen MANY regular class A & C couches towing happily down the road...maybe they're all reinforced underneath....

And a trailer toad helps a bunch...only downside is if you have a lot of toll roads...that extra toad axle gets charged everytime....

or backing up alot....

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1543 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seabass:
quote:
quote:

or backing up alot....

Don't they have a pin you pull for backing up?

Dave

F J B

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I significantly re-enforced the frame in the back of my coach by welding several braces and gussets to the original frame. But now that this subject came up I'll check it again this morning.

Bob

Posts: 3155 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
What style and size do you have Bob?

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I have a 30 foot 1995 National RV Seabreeze with a 506 ci BBC (Dart Big M +.100 bore / .250 stroke). Edelebrock FI and a set of their aluminum heads.

Bob

Posts: 3155 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
We have a 2003 Damon challenger 8.1 Allison transmission with 86000ish miles pretty much all with a trailer. The hitch is reinforced. Before I got my dragster we towed one car with weight distribution bars. When we started hauling a dragster and door car we got a trailer toad that I use when we go on long trips.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 495 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Dennis did you reinforce the frame? How long is your MH? Thanks!

DRR Pro
Picture of muggs
posted Hide Post
I tow an open trailer, with Camaro weighs 5,500 lbs. No issues with e450 based RV. Old one had 500 lb tw limitation. New unit has 750 tw capacity. Got a lighter mustang and trailer that should be close to 1000 lbs lighter.

Never considered enclosed trailer due to poor legs trying to get in/out. Surprised, been looking for camaro replacement for 10 years and found mustang with full cage can actually fit in.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: muggs,

Posts: 3090 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of dirt7r
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by seabass:
quote:
quote:

or backing up alot....

Don't they have a pin you pull for backing up?

The trailer toad does have the pins when backing up, a bit of a hassle putting them in to back up then pulling back out after backing up. I do try to make a conscious effort to park where I can pull strait out and back up as little as possible.

Posts: 10 | Location: Gahanna,Oh | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have been towing with a 32 super C with 8.1 for about 8 years and very satisfied. Kodiak 5500 chassis, 10000# hitch, no reinforcement, no toad. Pulling 26' with car, fuel, golf cart and tools. Travel around the northeast and as far south as Bristol so far towing.

Posts: 7 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 57chevy:
Dennis did you reinforce the frame? How long is your MH? Thanks!

My father in law bought it new and reinforced the hitch/rear frame

I'm 32 or 33ft can't remember.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 495 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post