New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mufflers
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
"First of all, I have a problem with neighbors who complain about race track noise. In most cases, the tracks were there well before homes encroached on the area. I’ve got two stories about that."

https://dragracingedge.com/the-blog/mufflers/

Posts: 154 | Location: Beaver Springs, PA | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
I drove by the site Lakeland Dragway occupied yesterday. There's an Amazon Delivery Facility sitting there. I'm sure The neighbors were glad to see the Dragway close. Now they get to hear the operations at Amazon 24/7 and that's not a quite operation.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
On the list of things that make racing expensive, mufflers don't even crack the top 1,000.

Mike

Posts: 1566 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
While I would hate to be required to put mufflers on the race car,I have a feeling that a catalytic converter will be mandated in the not too distant future.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 442OLDS:
While I would hate to be required to put mufflers on the race car,I have a feeling that a catalytic converter will be mandated in the not too distant future.

You would see a lot more racers running methanol ... LOL

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I do not think anyone who moves next to a track has any right to complain yet they will. We lost one track around here in 1985 because of the lawsuits against the track. As I understand it they Won every single lawsuit but it just became too expensive to fight every week.
I do think that if a track can do anything to help reduce noise with in reason it is good business to do so.

For years I ran Borla mufflers on my Altered not because I had to but because I wanted to. In my class I was always the fastest car and being the faster car I felt that it may may it harder to judge me coming up on them. Plus I like the quiet and lower tone. I even ran mufflers on my Bracket door car. I think the were 3.5 inch bullet mufflers so it was still fairly loud but much quieter than open headers.

With all that said I do not want anyone mandating what I do or how I do it if they are not involved. Mind your own business and stay out of mine.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4019 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I remember when the folks next to Zmax threw a fit. Soon as the owner said he would move Charlotte Motor Speedway and all his stuff to another state the heads that rule told the complainers to shut up. Cash talks!

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
From time t time I run a set of Borla's on my roadster. In spite of the weight increase and exhaust restriction they didn't hurt the 1/8th mile performance. The quieter sound does make it a bit more difficult for a slower car trying to judge the closing rate. Larry Scarth once mentioned that the lack of sound was an advantage, at first I didn't believe it but he was correct.

Bob

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post