DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Buying A Home In San Diego?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying A Home In San Diego?
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Bob, your solar system is to small

L8R, Mike

Posts: 12289 | Location: Murrieta, Calif | Registered: August 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike English:
Bob, your solar system is to small

He should book the next flight to the Andromeda System......

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4475 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
Sorry, I failed to also mention

Our monthly SDG&E bill is, on average $905 WITH solar

Bob

Holy chit! I haven't had a bill over $14 since we installed the solar. That does not include propane though.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6413 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I don’t have solar, 3000 square foot house with upgraded windows and insulation, set the thermostat at 78 when we aren’t home, 75 when we aren’t and maybe 2 or 3 of our electric bills will be over $250 for the month

Bob, I’d honestly check your panels for production

L8R, Mike

Posts: 12289 | Location: Murrieta, Calif | Registered: August 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Mike, we have 24 SunRun panels. The inverter died four months ago and they have not been able to find a replacement, REALLY?

However they have been able to find inverters for all the new installs they've sold over the past four months. 9 years a $149.55 per month customer, never late, never missed a payment. No inverters.....sure thing! That's like a McDonalds with no hamburgers, french fries or soft drinks.

Still paying them plus $587 to SDG&E. A guy might go broke doing this.

Bottom Line: Not a Happy customer!

Bob

Posts: 3086 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike, we have 24 SunRun panels. The inverter died four months ago and they have not been able to find a replacement, REALLY?

However they have been able to find inverters for all the new installs they've sold over the past four months. 9 years a $149.55 per month customer, never late, never missed a payment. No inverters.....sure thing! That's like a McDonalds with no hamburgers, french fries or soft drinks.

Bob

I don't understand. Why are you paying them?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6413 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bob

I have looked into Solar a lot and it is always an overpriced scam. Does not have to be. They are trying to get a 500% markup on all parts and labor. They are lying to you telling you it will last 35 years or more. They are telling you electric utility rates will Double, Triple or more and that is where you savings will come from over the 35 years. Prior to Bidenomics the rates have not went up much in 50 years. Even if it did pay for itself in 20 years will you still be in that house to take advantage of it? You would be much better off financially if you put that money in a money market if you want to make money.
They do the Bait and Switch on you. They tell you that your system will cost you $40,000 but what they are not telling you is that they are adding in the 25% State and Federal Tax Credits that some may qualify for. You actually have to pay $60,000 for that system and if you finance it the numbers get much worse. Not everyone is able to use the Tax Credit.

They also do not tell you if you have a loan on the system it makes it very hard to sell your house. They want to tell you it will INCREASE value of your house. It may a little but no where near the amount you spend on the system. Pennies on the dollar, if you can sell the house at all. Many people know what a problem they are.
They do not tell you that home owners insurance goes up.
Typical solar systems sold now are a liability and not an improvement or savings.

If you get a system make sure it pays itself off at TODAY'S rates in 5 or 6 years with out including any Tax Credits that you may or may not get.

I would never put them on the roof, you are creating another potential problem and insurance cost.

I will probably do a South facing large patio on back side of my house 16 foot tall. (My walls are 16 foot) That will shade sunny side of my house, create enough energy to cover most electrical loads and give me a nice patio to BBQ or hang out. I am going to do it myself as soon as I can get my other projects completed. I will design it so it is pretty much put 6 posts in the ground and assemble it, plug and play. All of the cutting, welding and painting would be done on the ground and just assembly up top.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4035 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
quote:

Bob

I have looked into Solar a lot and it is always an overpriced scam. Does not have to be. They are trying to get a 500% markup on all parts and labor. They are lying to you telling you it will last 35 years or more. They are telling you electric utility rates will Double, Triple or more and that is where you savings will come from over the 35 years. Prior to Bidenomics the rates have not went up much in 50 years. Even if it did pay for itself in 20 years will you still be in that house to take advantage of it? You would be much better off financially if you put that money in a money market if you want to make money.
They do the Bait and Switch on you. They tell you that your system will cost you $40,000 but what they are not telling you is that they are adding in the 25% State and Federal Tax Credits that some may qualify for. You actually have to pay $60,000 for that system and if you finance it the numbers get much worse. Not everyone is able to use the Tax Credit.

They also do not tell you if you have a loan on the system it makes it very hard to sell your house. They want to tell you it will INCREASE value of your house. It may a little but no where near the amount you spend on the system. Pennies on the dollar, if you can sell the house at all. Many people know what a problem they are.
They do not tell you that home owners insurance goes up.
Typical solar systems sold now are a liability and not an improvement or savings.

If you get a system make sure it pays itself off at TODAY'S rates in 5 or 6 years with out including any Tax Credits that you may or may not get.

I would never put them on the roof, you are creating another potential problem and insurance cost.

I will probably do a South facing large patio on back side of my house 16 foot tall. (My walls are 16 foot) That will shade sunny side of my house, create enough energy to cover most electrical loads and give me a nice patio to BBQ or hang out. I am going to do it myself as soon as I can get my other projects completed. I will design it so it is pretty much put 6 posts in the ground and assemble it, plug and play. All of the cutting, welding and painting would be done on the ground and just assembly up top.

Ours is a free standing. We paid cash for it. The full warranty is 20 years including any panels that have significant fall off. At the current electricity rate, our payoff is around 3.25 years. I do expect with all the push for EV's that the price of electricity will increase. I have been pleased thus far.
Is it a bit of a scam? Well when the government has to pay for a big piece of it through tax credits and the Illinois utility collects money through billing everyone that then goes to the solar installs.....yes it's pretty much a scam. But one that I want to be on the taking side of. I just recieved my $17k check from Illinois Shines, and just filed my taxes where I will get an additional $12k back due to tax credits. It's the only way that the payoffs work.
Oh, I was going to DIY it. But the inspections required make it nearly impossible to take advantage of the Illinois Shines and the federal tax credit. So I just had it done.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Elite
Picture of Bill Koski
posted Hide Post
Had a Sunrun system installed in 2020 with no up front cost. Battling them since then because it generates about 60% of what the contract stipulates.
Now they are facing a class action suit and are going to install the panels to bring me up to the 98% offset the contract stipulates.
I'll still be paying them $72.00 a month, goes up 2% a year, and paying NV Energy $13 a month and change.
NV Energies rates have risen almost 60% since the system was installed.

TAKE IT TO THE BANK!!!!!
Later, Bill Koski

Posts: 11005 | Location: LAS VEGAS. NEVADA, US of A | Registered: December 03, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Because of our age (74) we leased it from SunRun rather than buy it. Therefore maintenance and repairs are their responsibility, the instillation expense to us was zero they kept the Federal/State Solar Instillation rebate. They also added a 100 amp service panel as part of the initial instillation, that cost us nothing.

Our obligation was only to pay them $149.55 each month for 20 years, at the conclusion of the 20 years the solar system either becomes our property OR, at our request they would remove it for free. If we were to sell the home we had the option to either pass it on to the new home owner or they (SunRun) would bare the entire expense of removing it. These terms are all specified in the original "Performance contract".

My SDG&E bill has never been more than $10 or $11 a month, the savings were enormous. Until then our monthly bill was around $430 a month during the summer (Me welding and machining crap and her with the A/C on 7/24). Because the bill was usually a "Credit" SDG&E requested we allowed then to discontinue the monthly statement and instead do a "Once a year True-up". The down side was we don't receive a monthly statement, if there was a bill due it was to be sent directly to our Bank and they paid it from our Checking Account. When the inverter died and the system stopped producing electricity to SDG&E no one told us, not SunRun, not SDG&E and not our Bank.

The first notification was a five day demand letter on a Friday night, a $1,106.91 demand. Pay or they were going to turn the power off and send the bill to collections. By the next business day (Monday) the bill had increased to $1,840.25, so that's what I paid in cash .

SDG&E now estimates the monthly bill, without the solar system will be $587 a month.

My final word to everyone was "Lawyer" .

Bob

Posts: 3086 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
In Jan '21 Sunrun came by to sell me solar. They made it sound like it was better than sliced bread. After their sales pitch I asked for a copy of the contract so I could run the numbers, they said I had to sign then they would email me a copy, (everything was done on a tablet). I said ok but it will be contingent on my final approval and I put that in the contract. #1 they couldnt put enough panels on my roof to even produce 55% of power. I have a two gable roof with the short sides facing south. #2 with the annual price increase clause, I would be paying them the same price as I would for grid power in 6 years. #3 I might still be here in 6 years, but definitely not in 25 years in which time the cost of solar itself would be 25 cents, and I would still have to pay for grid power. My next door neighbors bought into their BS and had it put on their house. It was 6 weeks after they signed that they started installation and immediately got their first bill. It hadn't even been turned on yet. 6 months later it still wasnt connected. They called Sunrun and got the run around, finally had to get their lawyer involved and 11 months later they came and took the system down.

Posts: 297 | Location: Nevada | Registered: February 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Our next door neighbor recently had his solar system removed so he could replace the roof, it cost him $5,000. After the new roof was installed he paid another $5,000 to reinstall the solar system.

Unfortunately the roof leaked, in order to replace the new roof he was saddled with removing the roof again, another $5,000 to take it off and another $5,000 to reinstall it, ($20,000 down the drain). The roof leaked again so a third roof went on but this time the first and second Roofing Company repaid him the $15,000 he lost in the process.

NOTE:

If you are having a solar system installed be certain that your Solar Company Contract stipulates they cover the cost of repairs to the roof in the event it's damaged. The solar system is secured TO the roof by drilling h0les in your roof. Our Contract included that stipulation.

Bob

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Bob, before you spend the money for a lawyer I highly recommend you give the Better Business Bureau a call. They really went to bat for me in a similar situation.

L8R, Mike

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Our next door neighbor recently had his solar system removed so he could replace the roof, it cost him $5,000. After the new roof was installed he paid another $5,000 to reinstall the solar system.

Unfortunately the roof leaked, in order to replace the new roof he was saddled with removing the roof again, another $5,000 to take it off and another $5,000 to reinstall it, ($20,000 down the drain). The roof leaked again so a third roof went on but this time the first and second Roofing Company repaid him the $15,000 he lost in the process.

NOTE:

If you are having a solar system installed be certain that your Solar Company Contract stipulates they cover the cost of repairs to the roof in the event it's damaged. The solar system is secured TO the roof by drilling h0les in your roof. Our Contract included that stipulation.

Bob

What a nightmare! I'm fortunate to have all the room I need for a ground mount. But then, country living is the only way for me.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:

NOTE:

Bob

What a nightmare! I'm fortunate to have all the room I need for a ground mount. But then, country living is the only way for me.

Agree Bucky. We purchased property with buyer installed free standing. The only time I had a bill was when the fires hit here. Neighbors and our cousins lost everything. Three big rv’s here plus our place 24/7 ac for over three months.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4514 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Bob, did you get your solar problem resolved?

L8R, Mike

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
SunRun has scheduled a electrician to replace the inverter on Monday, April 1st, (ya April Fools Day). Not holding my breath.

When, and where is the next Pro Gas race?

Bob

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Great news!!

May 18th and 19th Bakersfield

L8R, Mike

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Bob, so did you get your solar problem fixed

L8R, Mike

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Of all the areas of the country I visited, San Diego had the most lasting good memories. Perfect climate year round. Tons of very cool places to visit. Balboa Park was my favorite. Sunday pipe organ concert is excellent. Old Town, the magical zoo and the Beaches. And day trips to Mexico or East to Alpine. Ohh and In-N-Out Burgers and fries.
The only thing that stopped any serious thought of moving was the cost. Has to be one of the most expensive housing markets in the states.
Florida summers and hurricanes are no longer reasonable.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post