DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Why do all the door cars have tinted windows?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why do all the door cars have tinted windows?
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
no crystal clear, pun intended. Further, I had a racer DQ'd many years ago and cited this rule.

Before or after you raced the poor guy?
Confused

Curious, I had a guy tried to have me DQ'd over a $500 dial for dollars, over my helmet in Jacksonville, last car down I drove through the gate late 15 20 minutes earlier.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of sammy christian
posted Hide Post
another consequence of dimwits thinking "street outlaws" is real racing.

6.41@221 (so far)
4.11@178
off the shelf/built it myself

Posts: 82 | Location: Amherst, Ny | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
yep

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
If I ever got beat by a guy with window tint, that would be embarrassing! I'd load up and not say a word anyone, head straight to the shop, to work on the car!

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Or to hide a no box racer using a box so you cant see the button release....

Posts: 613 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
posted December 16, 2020 04:47 PM Hide Post
no crystal clear, pun intended. Further, I had a racer DQ'd many years ago and cited this rule.

-----------------------

Since you brought the dq up, who, when and where?
How did it turn out?
Remove tint and be able to race or done for the day?

Posts: 621 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I figured it out, window tint is a bottom bulb issue.

I've never seen window tint on a Super Pro car in Florida, ever.

I just layed down some 50% red film on my Nova, gasser tribute, matching red head lamps. I doubt very seriously I'll get DQ'd Super Pro.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
As far as NHRA goes this rule came about after a racer died in a car fire. I was a NHRA track manager and tech inspector for several years. We went through the details of this as part of the yearly tech seminar more than once.

In all of the smoke and commotion everyone thought he was out of the car. It was a Vega hatchback with deep tinted windows. They could see that no one was up front in the drivers area. Turns out he had crawled to the back of the car trying to get the hatchback open. Nobody could see him in there due to the tinting on the windows. By the time they heard him and got him out of the hatchback it was too late.

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sammy christian:

YAWN....

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1407 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Burkleo:
As far as NHRA goes this rule came about after a racer died in a car fire. I was a NHRA track manager and tech inspector for several years. We went through the details of this as part of the yearly tech seminar more than once.

In all of the smoke and commotion everyone thought he was out of the car. It was a Vega hatchback with deep tinted windows. They could see that no one was up front in the drivers area. Turns out he had crawled to the back of the car trying to get the hatchback open. Nobody could see him in there due to the tinting on the windows. By the time they heard him and got him out of the hatchback it was too late.

Damn! that's a sad story! Until you see one go up it may be difficult for ya to picture how fast these cars go up!

Man, we had a heads up Nova at Sunshine like mine backfired the carb when the nitrous came on, leaving the starting line blew the fuel line off. I was 15 - 20 ft from it behind a 8ft fence, it seemed harmless enough at first, typical carb fire, turned into a torch threw the firewall onto the driver. He was originally reaching for his fire extinguisher inside the car. Then panicked when it went ugly and couldn't get his camlock seatbelts off! I thought he was done! I had to turn away! I took my in car fire extinguisher out the next day, put it in the trunk! This thing went ugly in milliseconds! I'd never buy camlock belts either!

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I'd give the track officials a 9 or maybe even a 9.5 on their response time and effectiveness in getting the fire extinguished, and this car burned to the ground, a complete loss. That's how fast this happens. One slip up with a camlock or fumbling for a in car extinguisher, and it turns into a catastrophe! This thing blew something off it landed on the hood of my truck, on fire! The one track official who got the camlock undone saved the drivers life, ripping him out of the car!

I don't think people understand, fully, how fast all this happens!

Until you see it, hard to imagine!

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sammy christian:

NAILED IT! Stretching after a good yawn...

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
The factory-tinted safety glass requirement/limitation only applies to National and Divisional events.

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

Posts: 5748 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:

OEM tinted glass/windows is allowed, aftermarket film/tint is not and which is also illegal in many states.

as Michael stated that rule ONLY applies to National and Divisional events. Not to bracket racing..........and, it takes a real prick to lose a race, and snivel to the tower to get a guy DQ'd over a technicality, that has nothing to do with on track performance.........however, you do qualify for that title.

Posts: 79 | Location: myrtle point ore | Registered: April 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by savoyracer:
quote:

OEM tinted glass/windows is allowed, aftermarket film/tint is not and which is also illegal in many states.

as Michael stated that rule ONLY applies to National and Divisional events. Not to bracket racing..........and, it takes a real prick to lose a race, and snivel to the tower to get a guy DQ'd over a technicality, that has nothing to do with on track performance.........however, you do qualify for that title.

Left brain imbalanced.

I had a guy at Jax Raceways in the early 2000's try to get me tossed over my helmet!! It was a out of date Simpson bandit!

I barely made it in the water in time, late on a Friday night from Tampa rained out at Sunshine in Clearwater, picked the guys pocket $500, last car down dial for dollar time run!!

Track official was even laughing about that one! He did tell me you better have a legal helmet next time you win one of these, or a riot may ensue!! LoL!

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I was eagerly looking forward to the DQ story!! Guess we wont be getting our daily dose of TRUTH and FACTS today on that subject. Oh well.....

BG

Posts: 760 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
the truth and the facts is rules are for everyone and all most do is complain in small groups when they feel rules aren't being enforced and they do nothing to hold those responsible accountable. I ain't that guy and I did and this was about far more than window tint, it was about cheating. Track management claimed they weren't aware of the rule. I got the rule book and a tech inspector to enlighten them. Happened over 10 years ago and as far as I know, the guy no longer races. Hi EF Wink

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BG7X77:
I was eagerly looking forward to the DQ story!! Guess we wont be getting our daily dose of TRUTH and FACTS today on that subject. Oh well.....

A Toyota Camry with tinted windows and a win light on in the other lane, is a prime example of why you wanna pull up on whoever everyone thinks is the best on the property, in Super Pro. Every chance you get.