DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    has big money bracket racing gotten out of hand?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

has big money bracket racing gotten out of hand?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
with the recent big/huge! money bracket races popping up in the last 4-5 years across the country from SFG, No Limit, etc. has anyone felt like it has gotten out of hand? please understand I am not trying to bash or talk bad about any one promoter/track. I think it is awesome what they are doing, the fact someone (a 17 year old kid in 25 year old ranger at that) won $525,000 last month is unreal & lifechanging to say the least, next year SFG is supposed to guarantee a $1 million payout? crazy.it is great to see the growth in our sport anything that helps us grow more is always good. my question is (or maybe more of a concern/opinion) has it gone too far? everyone knows the story of the guy that did not get paid last year at a certain race btw its old news so lets leave it like that. the costs of entry fees, buybacks/re-entry, the choice of multiple entreys, fuel & then what it cost to tow to these events. (most everyone has big toters or diesel motorhomes) lets not even start with racers "cheating" that's another story for a way different day haha!Big Grin. promoters scheduling on top of another, races not being ran as flyer says. all the above may or may not be based on actual "facts" or "evidence to back up" just solely "statements". I hear all the time people say "you cant run a $3, $5, $10 thousand dollar race it just wont work" it could! you just have to do it right..first thing always guarantee the money no matter what. if only one motorcycle shows up at your $5k race? well guess what he is a lucky guy.. next reasonable entry fees at the particular race, due away with round money or to some extent at least; you wont "round money"? prove your the best racer and win the damn race lol, re-entry? bye how is it fair the winner has to sit around for several hrs & the loser can come right back? also take into consideration the costs of crew.(personally I feel racer(s) should be free but crew absolutely charged) im going to catch hell for this, be called "stupid" or "I don't know jack" go ahead I probably am and probably don't lolWink give me a $5, $10, $20 or even a $3k race..$60-$80 buybacks anyday.. again not saying what these promoters are doing is wrong I just would hate something bad to happen causing all bracket racing to "die"

J.K. Hodges

Posts: 45 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: June 11, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
It reality it was a long way from $525,000 when all the dust settled....but still impressive...

Posts: 1259 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I think it is kind of out of control but as long as people are showing up and racing go for it.
As I see it the more the merrier and you run what ever you think is most fun.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4019 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richard Hammond
posted Hide Post
The majority of these races are not having any problems selling out. With the exception of last weeks races where it was 120 degrees in the shade. Most racers would rather stay at home then deal with the heat. All of the promoters are doing the best that they can as far as scheduling. Basically all of these big money races are professional races aimed at sportsman. Too many people want races specifically catered to their own needs. And are quick to throw out the doom and gloom the sky is falling. When one race has a low car count. Big money racing is on a huge upswing and it's only going to get better. There are 4 million dollar races set for 2020 and 2 are guaranteed. There are still plenty of great lower paying big money races that have no shortage of cars. You just have to get in where you can. No limits had their issues in the past and the sport survived and even got stronger. I plan on running as many of these races as I can. You just have to get in where you feel you have the best chance at winning or sit at home and watch these races on motormaia TV.

Posts: 434 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of loosechange
posted Hide Post
Whomp whomp $50k is life changing

Im just a gold fish hanging out with the sharks.

Posts: 191 | Location: bedford va | Registered: November 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dragkid1990:
I hear all the time people say "you cant run a $3, $5, $10 thousand dollar race it just wont work"

I haven't heard anyone say that. We had a total of 593 entries make first round at VMP back in March. This race next weekend is the same format.

I just went to a 5/10/5 at Quaker City a couple weeks ago that was a good race. Got lucky enough to R/U in both 5K's in No-Box. They're doing it again in August.

Before that, I went to the World Footbrake Challenge (Triple 10's), which had a record 486 entries.

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

Posts: 5734 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Every one of our local track's points races are $1k to win. There are about a dozen of them per season. Go up to Byron and not only do they have the regular points races that pay similar, you can also find a handful of $5k and more races. And a $100k race. Curly and Richard nailed it. If people show up to race it, it was the right call. It's the day and age of 300 channels on the tv. Each caters to somebody.

No, I don't think every race should have guaranteed purse. That's a good way to flush a promoter or track in a hurry. We need these folks around putting on races that we enjoy. We need them to have some security in their investment, and make some money at it.

No, I'm not into the big money races. Frankly, I don't need the pressure on every round anymore. I want to go out and race and have fun and maybe kick some butt. And maybe get paid. I don't want to fight my way in and out of pit spots that are crowded, nor deal with crowds of people I don't know who want to help themselves to everything in your trailer when you are in the lanes. Nor do I want to race for half a dozen rounds to not even get my entry back. So it's not my thing. Fortunately, there is lots of racing to choose from.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
the only ones making the big bucks at these races are the promoters

Posts: 1425 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
the only ones making the big bucks at these races are the promoters

Yah, totally, fer sure!

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

Posts: 5734 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Post of the year ^^^^^^. I think the only way to think that it's out of hand is if the check isn't in yours.
BW

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bry-war,

Posts: 186 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
(full disclosure: neither the barrel nor the cone in the picture are mine)

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Beard:
(full disclosure: neither the barrel nor the cone in the picture are mine)

Ha! Now that is keeping it real! Saw a $100k check the other day that seemed to make a local racer some good money regardless of the split.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Has big money bracket racing gotten out of hand? No. It has not. In fact, I think you are only going to see it getting bigger and bigger. It is not my personal cup of tea, but it seems to be bringing an awful lot of people an awful lot of joy. And I think it is really great that I can actually watch live bracket racing online, including some of the very same people I have raced with. I never would have believed that could or would happen. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
y'all do a great job with y'alls races, not knocking any one person I was using that as just example.. like you have to "go big or go home" haha
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by dragkid1990:
I hear all the time people say "you cant run a $3, $5, $10 thousand dollar race it just wont work"

I haven't heard anyone say that. We had a total of 593 entries make first round at VMP back in March. This race next weekend is the same format.

I just went to a 5/10/5 at Quaker City a couple weeks ago that was a good race. Got lucky enough to R/U in both 5K's in No-Box. They're doing it again in August.

Before that, I went to the World Footbrake Challenge (Triple 10's), which had a record 486 entries.

J.K. Hodges

Posts: 45 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: June 11, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Hammond:
The majority of these races are not having any problems selling out. With the exception of last weeks races where it was 120 degrees in the shade. Most racers would rather stay at home then deal with the heat. All of the promoters are doing the best that they can as far as scheduling. Basically all of these big money races are professional races aimed at sportsman. Too many people want races specifically catered to their own needs. And are quick to throw out the doom and gloom the sky is falling. When one race has a low car count. Big money racing is on a huge upswing and it's only going to get better. There are 4 million dollar races set for 2020 and 2 are guaranteed. There are still plenty of great lower paying big money races that have no shortage of cars. You just have to get in where you can. No limits had their issues in the past and the sport survived and even got stronger. I plan on running as many of these races as I can. You just have to get in where you feel you have the best chance at winning or sit at home and watch these races on motormaia TV.

X2… These bigger money events couldn’t have come at a better time in my life… What do you call a person who is happy on Monday…..Me….. Retired !!

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
Oh, and I won the trailer in a shootout when I was a kid.

Real hi-rollers here... LOL

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, and I won the trailer in a shootout when I was a kid.
Real hi-rollers here... LOL

OMG.. it’s THAT old….lol

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yah, totally, fer sure!

no disrespect Michael but the promoter for the recent sfg500 took home just about 500k...fact!!

Posts: 1425 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If the participation is there,you can't say it has gotten out of hand.

That being said,any race that requires winning at least 6 rounds to get your entry fee money back,is crazy in my opinion.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richard Hammond
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
quote:
Yah, totally, fer sure!

no disrespect Michael but the promoter for the recent sfg500 took home just about 500k...fact!!

Is that after paying employees,track rental and all the other fees? Even if it is all of these promoters have earned everything that they make.

Posts: 434 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post