Share |
DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Because I'm nuts...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Because I'm nuts...
 Login/Join
 
DRR Pro
Picture of SpeierRacingHeads
posted
Always been a goal of mine to run Super Stock. So I jumped in feet first. Going to run GT with a 350/360/330 engine. Lots of changes to the car, but I want to run GT to help with my Edelbrock legal head program. Should be a blast!



 
Posts: 1377 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: January 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Awesome!!! Good luck!! Very cool!


BG
 
Posts: 699 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
You'll love it, your wallet won't......LOL

Should be well into the 9's with a decent motor...
That engine flys in Stock thanks to a low HP rating.

Being able to use an aftermarket al head is a plus I'd say......Maybe not as fast as the "legal" highly modified iron stock heads

Essentially a bracket race really....Heads up runs are pretty rare due to so many class

Nice car.....Good Luck with it....
 
Posts: 2535 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SpeierRacingHeads
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
You'll love it, your wallet won't......LOL

Should be well into the 9's with a decent motor...
That engine flys in Stock thanks to a low HP rating.

Being able to use an aftermarket al head is a plus I'd say......Maybe not as fast as the "legal" highly modified iron stock heads

Essentially a bracket race really....Heads up runs are pretty rare due to so many class

Nice car.....Good Luck with it....


I've been working with FJ for the last three years with the Edelbrock casting. It's insane what these engines make now days. It's a lot. I picked the 70 LT1 combo for the 780 Holley.
 
Posts: 1377 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: January 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
The LT-1 is a 11.5:1 engine also?


"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375
 
Posts: 1173 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SpeierRacingHeads
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
The LT-1 is a 11.5:1 engine also?


11-0
 
Posts: 1377 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: January 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
It’s a great engine choice
What happens is the lower factored engines get a lot of guys running it and if they might go to fast here and there and the HP gets bumped up by the AHFS

Then somebody finds another good one and it gets jumped on and the process repeats.

That 350 was rated much to high and a guy successfully got it lowered a lot 360 down to I think 325 in Stock.

Late model EFI LT-1’s are still real good in SS but not in Stock

Another real good combo was a low compression 400 SB
It got beat up and now is not so good.

5-10 hp bump in a 9-10 lb class hurts.

It’s a game for sure.

FJ knows the game. He’s been around and a winner with fast cars forever.

P.S. Q-Jets are on some very fast cars and the Holley as well.
 
Posts: 2535 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR Pro
Picture of SpeierRacingHeads
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
It’s a great engine choice
What happens is the lower factored engines get a lot of guys running it and if they might go to fast here and there and the HP gets bumped up by the AHFS

Then somebody finds another good one and it gets jumped on and the process repeats.

That 350 was rated much to high and a guy successfully got it lowered a lot 360 down to I think 325 in Stock.

Late model EFI LT-1’s are still real good in SS but not in Stock

Another real good combo was a low compression 400 SB
It got beat up and now is not so good.

5-10 hp bump in a 9-10 lb class hurts.

It’s a game for sure.

FJ knows the game. He’s been around and a winner with fast cars forever.

P.S. Q-Jets are on some very fast cars and the Holley as well.


I really wanted a FJ car. I found a couple, but being in Canada, it wasn't an easy transition. I will say, being the gentleman he is, he has helped me every step of the way with this car.
 
Posts: 1377 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: January 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
FJ raced B/SM in the mid to late 1970’s

My buddy and co worker in an engine shop ran C/SM when it was the most popular class in Modified Eliminator

I was at a number of races as a crew guy for my buddy

Was just the best era in drag racing to be hanging out in the lanes with theses cars and taking it all in

FJ was fast and did very well and was a class guy
 
Posts: 2535 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of BP758
posted Hide Post
Not worthy
I see a very loose converter and high shifts!! Pretty cool deal there.


Raceless in California!
 
Posts: 4267 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Is the relocated strut mounting at the tower to correct the difference in strut to spindle "camber" angle, or is the track width just narrower? I'd love to do a cobalt but the powerplant investment is hard to swallow. GT cars are underrated.
 
Posts: 176 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
Love it and cant wait to see the progress


"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55
 
Posts: 1309 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BP758:
Not worthy
I see a very loose converter and high shifts!! Pretty cool deal there.


I don't think so for that engine combo....
Just your typical SS SB engine not like a /SM engine.

In my area James Antonette Jr. with his father run that /SM combo very succesfully....

Small converter, engine cubes and a lot of gear.....Way up there rpm....

There are others but they do real well and win....
 
Posts: 2535 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SpeierRacingHeads
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BP758:
Not worthy
I see a very loose converter and high shifts!! Pretty cool deal there.


Yea SCDDIV1 is right, these combos aren't the big RPM engines. They peak at 72-7300. But if you think about it it's kind of crazy with a 172cc port that flows 275ish.
 
Posts: 1377 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: January 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR Pro
Picture of SpeierRacingHeads
posted Hide Post
So this is the actual Super Stock engine I bought. Video isn't great, but turn up the sound!


https://fb.watch/adSC2lSVOi/
 
Posts: 1377 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: January 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Good luck Chad. I’m sure you’ll do well and have fun



2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
1.058
2.98
4.629@149
6.094
7.310@185

 
Posts: 12099 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I ran a SS/JA ‘69 Camaro 1980-1983

350/255 Q-Jet ‘441 heads 1.82 P/G trans 5.57 or 5.86 rear gear

Best numbers 11.20 117-118 in cold air

3200-3300lbs

On our static Go-Power dyno it made 450-460 max hp

That engine combo today makes 600 I’ve been told by a guy who runs one in what was GT/FA and goes low 10’s. in a Gen III Camaro

Low compression 1.94 1.5 valves

I’m guessing the high compression big valve engine makes at least 650 and probably well more with all the good parts out there today

The class breaks/designations changed a couple years ago so I’m not up on what they are now.

GT/DA was a high compression 350 car usually and the killer cars ran sub 9.50’s
 
Posts: 2535 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SpeierRacingHeads
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
I ran a SS/JA ‘69 Camaro 1980-1983

350/255 Q-Jet ‘441 heads 1.82 P/G trans 5.57 or 5.86 rear gear

Best numbers 11.20 117-118 in cold air

3200-3300lbs

On our static Go-Power dyno it made 450-460 max hp

That engine combo today makes 600 I’ve been told by a guy who runs one in what was GT/FA and goes low 10’s. in a Gen III Camaro

Low compression 1.94 1.5 valves

I’m guessing the high compression big valve engine makes at least 650 and probably well more with all the good parts out there today

The class breaks/designations changed a couple years ago so I’m not up on what they are now.

GT/DA was a high compression 350 car usually and the killer cars ran sub 9.50’s


FJ run GT/EA with a 70 LT1 combo. 10.10 index, just ran low 9.30's.. He went back on the dyno this week to try different cams and I changed up a couple manifolds for him. Most popular cast manifold on the planet was a Edelbrock Victor E, so what do they do? discontinued it.

I'm going to run the same combo, and GT/FA.
 
Posts: 1377 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: January 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing the two most important words are "gear ratio"


272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing........
 
Posts: 2986 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Very cool, Chad.

Fred is the creator of the front wheel drive conversions GT class, I recall. There has been some amazing stuff come out of that shop on the Grand River! Good luck with your new hot rod.

The Sunfire his daughter Victoria drives is one of my favorite SS rides.

Rob
 
Posts: 108 | Location: Toronto | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4 5  
 

DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Because I'm nuts...

© DragRaceResults.com 2023