New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which race fuel
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
What are you folks paying for methanol? Is there any difference in the various brands, or is the brand label the only difference? We were quoted $30 for a 5 gallon pale, that seemed high. Willing to buy a couple of 55 gallon drums.

Bob

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
$160 around here for drum

Posts: 1259 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Methanol was usually around 140-150 a drum. Delivered with a 4 drum minimum. That was a few years ago but Methanol stays pretty stable on pricing. I think they get $5 a gallon at the track. When I ran Injection I always had 25 gals with me for a weekend race and used most of it up if I had a good weekend.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
It is not uncommon for us to use 55 gallons of alcohol in 2 days with 2 cars

Posts: 794 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
WOW...

Posts: 1259 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
150 a drum here from a local Oil supplier. VP is a lot higher.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 60 falcon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by racerdude2054:
quote:
Originally posted by 329L:
Injection and Methanol. And then you don't worry whose alky you buy. But I understand that wasn't asked so I will slowly back away Big Grin

We have ran injection and alcohol for over 10 years, switching to gas

I just made that switch also after 20 years of alky and fuel injection (I couldn't take the alcohol fumes anymore) used my belt drive pump and a bypass works great, lost about .25 but that's with a 750 carb lol. I want to buy a good 950 this winter so it should pick up et but the 5 times I raced this combo I got in the money at 3 of them and it only uses about a 1/4 gallon of gas per run so I might not mess with it lol. I run Sunoco 110 bought at 4 different places and I've seen no difference in performance.

sammy mathis

Posts: 67 | Location: iowa park, texas | Registered: October 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is not uncommon for us to use 55 gallons of alcohol in 2 days with 2 cars

Been there done that it was a little depressing at first but still cheaper than gas.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 469 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
I have one on alcohol and one on gas. I now carry 11 ( 5) gallon jugs of fuel...8 for alcohol and 3 for sunoco maximal. Love coming home with all jugs empty after a weekend of racing!

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I run alcohol but will say this. If I ran gas I would try them on a dyno or go with the advice of someone who has done a lot of dyno testing on similar motor with different fuels.
The DYNO will show detonation long before you can tell on the track and will tell you exactly how the fuel performs. Of course it may be a little different at the track due to air changes like temperature. The DYNO can help you get a better and safer tune up for your motor.
One fuel may perform better with a few degrees timing change and that to is easily found on dyno.

Also just me but I would not pay for the VP fuels here they are way over priced. I would use the best Sunoco fuel for my motor that is safe and I would buy it in 55 gallon drums to assure quality.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4019 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
I get my Sunoco fuels 4 drums at a time...

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Just a question but which VP methanol Fuel is NHRA Legal, just the M1 or are the other others also legal (M3 and M5)?

I noticed that there is a fuel check warning (M3 & M5) on the VP web site.

Bob

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
only m1. M5 is allowed in bracket, and super classes though. With that being said, if you are subject to fuel check, upper lube will make any alky fail 99% of the time.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
We just ran this past weekend three cars using av-gas with an additive that contains MMT. MMT additives add more octane than one with TEL since AV gas already contains TEL. One engine is a 13.2 to 1 427" SBC, second is a 447" 14.5 to 1 SB2.2, the last was my dragster with a 461" 15.5 to 1 SB2.2. Jetting was the same as we set for most other non oxygenated fuels. Oe bottle of additive to a 55 gallon drum, I've used Turbo 108 plus and this latest is called Race Gas Concentrate. Make sure the additive contains MMT.

One thing everyone gets so worried about is too much octane. Too much is not an issue, and octane does not in itself have anything to do with burn speed. One of the fastest burning race fuels is C25, it has a 120+ octane and a RVP of 9+, low vaporization curve. It's also why when Pro Stock had to change to Sunoco SR-18 they had issues, some major, the RVP and vaporization curves were significantly different.

And as for non oxygenated fuels, you can look at all the specs and get an idea on what they need for jetting. SG is one, lower numbers mean it will likely need more jet, higher less. Fuels with lower vaporization curves and higher RVP's burn quicker, atomize and vaporize more completely, so distribution is better and jetting may be less. Quicker burning fuels will usually need less timing.

As far as Sunoco Maximal it runs as well as most others, RVP and vaporization curves are average. C16 on the other hand is really designed for forced induction, it's designed to handle and absorb the higher induction and combustion temps those engines see. Vaporization curves are higher and RVP is much lower.

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers
Home built 2 circuit Dominator :-)
www.racingfuelsystems.com

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Posts: 1047 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Which racing gas would you recommend: 632 cubic inch, head hunter 395 mc, 15.5:1 compression, 1150 horsepower. Car runs 4.50s to 4.60s in a 1900 pound dragster

Renegade Pro 120 would be an excellent choice for power and price. If you want to convert to methanol, Renegade Pro Methanol.

Mike Croley
Dist. for Renegade Race Fuels/Methanol
386-341-4308

Posts: 16 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Last year contacted someone at Renedade Fuel asking if they intended on distributing race fuel in California, the answer was no. They sited the cost of operating in California, (the current numskul Governor is anti business) but that Arizona might be possible.

Bob

DRR Sportsman
Picture of et7338
posted Hide Post
Renegade is available now in Ca.Here is a link to their Rep on Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/joeeiffert.oil

Posts: 575 | Location: hesperia | Registered: October 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Sunoco blue
VP blue
X-14
X-16
C-15
Sunoco Maximal

Can someone tell the major pros and cons for my combination between these fuels? Has anyone tried multiple fuels on a similar combo? Any differences? Any difference on how much heat the engine builds? Any ET difference?

Thank you

Posts: 794 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I’ve tried several....the only one that picks up ET is Q16....but not worth the cost or smell....went 4.540 to 4.500 with 582 SR20 by trying Q...I’ll take Sunoco 112 over all of them...

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
Last year contacted someone at Renedade Fuel asking if they intended on distributing race fuel in California, the answer was no. They sited the cost of operating in California, (the current numskul Governor is anti business) but that Arizona might be possible.

Bob

It took a while, but there are now a number of Renegade dealers in California. And in Arizona.

Mike Croley
Dist. for Renegade Race Fuels/Methanol
386-341-4308

Posts: 16 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post