DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Strange 35-spline axle, useful life?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Strange 35-spline axle, useful life?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
I bought the complete Strange aluminum rear-end housing for the dragster from Strange. We have changed center sections several times, gears and now are using a Yukon 35-spline spool. Same axles and bearings, probably fourth set of 5/8" wheel studs.
Not sure how many runs but the axles were new in 2001. Maybe 3000 runs?? Variety of engines but usually a 4.60-5.00s 1/8th mile dragster.
Just wondering what the useable life of the axles is (other than they are broken). Crack checked them and checked splines a few years ago, everything was good.

Thanks for your input, appreciate it.

Jok

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 00 DEAD ON
posted Hide Post
Upgrade to 40 spline. I got some pictures of 35 spline axels that are broke. JMO. Good luck

Brian Mollison
2009 RaceTech Dragster
2020 Sumerduck Dragway VA Top ET Champion
2017 Sumerduck Top ET & SSS Track Champion
2017 MAC Top ET Track Champion
2009 Sumerduck Dragway Va Top ET & IHRA SSS Track Champion
2008 IHRA Division 1 Top ET Bracket Final Runner-up
2007 Colonial Beach Dragway Top ET Track Champion

Posts: 1026 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
when an axle breaks it is never a pretty thing. upgrade to 40 spline. Honestly surprised 35 spline axles in a dragster are 16 years old running 4 second passes and still going

Posts: 789 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
bracket racing is full of broke dycks and dumb asses

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
My dragster is a 2006, and it has had a few seasons of very light use but everything in the rear end is original, right down to the gear oil. Strange 35 spline axles.

I'm planning on changing everything to 40 spline, new gears and also rod ends on the 4 link before I bring it back out.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3154 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
40 spline MW for the WIN...

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Right

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Just trying to operate on a budget. Expected Ed's classy response but I appreciate the other replies.

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richard Hammond
posted Hide Post
If the 35 splines have worked for you for this long why would you have to change to 40 spline axles? I would have them magnafluxed for cracks and check the splines for any twist. If they are worn out just replace them.

Posts: 434 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
First time i have ever heard of anyone questioning the strength of 35 spline axles

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1394 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
When is the last time you saw a Dragster break an axle or even shear wheel studs. I cannot say I ever saw that happen. The only axles I ever saw break were Strange Engineering and in 3000+ lb clutch launched Modified eliminator type cars. Not saying it can’t happen or that replacing older stuff isn’t a good idea. My own car has Moser 35 spline axles from 2003 and I am going to replace them with the same thing if the center section looks ok when I pull it apart.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not sure how many runs but the axles were new in 2001. Maybe 3000 runs?? Variety of engines but usually a 4.60-5.00s 1/8th mile dragster.

Certainly not the best comparison but I ran Strange 35 spline axles in out firebird for close to 15 years, most of that time was mid/low 10's @ 3500lbs. Went through a bunch of ring and pinions but never hurt a spool or axle. I upgraded to a 9" and when specing it out with Strange, even they said I was on borrowed time with those old axles.

Moderate door car I wouldn't see a problem, but a 4.70 dragster ..............

I would look at it this way, what's the cost AFTER a broken axle ??? Could just be an axle or could be much worse. What's the cost for a new 40 spline spool and axles ??? Probably $700 ????

JMO

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
quote:
When is the last time you saw a Dragster break an axle or even shear wheel studs. I cannot say I ever saw that happen.

I think Wesley Washington just did at VMP a few weeks ago.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I recently broke the left side Mark Williams 35 spline axle in my Roadster. In all fairness they were in the car for more than 18 years but a recent engine change ended the life of the
left axle. The left axle shattered in many places making it impossible to accurately measure the length of the axle. The spool end of the right axle was wisted about a 1/4 turn and bent in the middle, which might explain the recent vibration I was experiencing.

I spoke with Jason at MW and based on the car weigh and power level he strongly recommended changing to their 40 spline axles and corresponding spool. Jason was able to locate the original build sheet based on the serial numbers stamped on the inner end of the one remaining axle. Using those specs, they built a new set of 40’s.

During the initial carnage the left side Wilwood caliper bracket was badly bent and the axle bearing retainer recess section totally destroyed the only thing (barely) keeping the wheel on the car was the rotor hat, the caliper and the caliper bracket. Wilwood no longer offered that bracket so a local Machine Shop built a new one.

The point of this post is that I totally lost the brakes when the axle broke, both back AND front. The car has a dual chamber master cylinder so I should have still had front brakes, but didn’t. Fortunately the axle broke during the initial hit so the car didn’t have any real speed but still enough to coast to just short of the finish line (about 1200 feet). The total expense to replace everything came to a little over $1400, the good news was that the car didn’t crash. Had this happened further down track with more speed there is no way it would have not crashed.

Bottom line.

If you are approaching 1100 hp in a hard hitting 2100 + pound car change to the 40 spline axles, the 35’s will not last and the result will probably be a wadded up car.

I have now completed my “good deed” for the week.

Bob

Posts: 3081 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
If you already have around 3000 runs on them running 4.50s and they are still good that answers your question. If they are still straight, not twisted or splines wearing then run them and do not worry.
Yes, I think it is a good idea to check them for twist once in a while but that goes for all axles.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4002 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Most of my friends and I have twisted 35 spline once we made power to go below 7.50 with 1900lb dragsters. Some were only twisted a small amount and one of the manufacturers said it was ok.

We all switched to 40.

Posts: 671 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Greg Kelly...KNOWS!

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
One manufacture has broken more than most.....

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
When is the last time you saw a Dragster break an axle or even shear wheel studs. I cannot say I ever saw that happen. The only axles I ever saw break were Strange Engineering and in 3000+ lb clutch launched Modified eliminator type cars. Not saying it can’t happen or that replacing older stuff isn’t a good idea. My own car has Moser 35 spline axles from 2003 and I am going to replace them with the same thing if the center section looks ok when I pull it apart.

I have seen SEVERAL dragsters break 35 spline axles

Point is that there is never a good outcome when axles break going down track. If you are changing out axles how much more money does it cost you to go from 35 spline to 40 spline? The 35's have been fine so replace them with 35's???? spend a couple hundred more dollars and get the extra piece of mind that you aren't gonna put your car in the wall from a broken axle.

Posts: 789 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
the fact that you are thinking about it means you already know the answer,upgrade is my vote

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1408 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post