DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    High gear only set up
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

High gear only set up
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Does anyone make a high gear valve body that is not aluminum? Also, in a light door car, how much difference in converter is expected to be a consistent set up? Thanks for any help

Posts: 46 | Location: stonypoint,nc | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 57 Vette
posted Hide Post
I have been running a High Gear set up in my Corvette for 10 years now. You can use the same converter as a 2 speed, but should be a spragless style to last, since it loads the converter much more. It's about 5 tenths slower. Coan makes the cast valve body you need and want.

IHRA ACDELCO Canadian Nationals
Top/et Iron man Champion Wink
Don Davis 57 Corvette Super Gas roadster Cool
SDPC Race Shop 582 Head Hunter on methanol

Posts: 268 | Location: Toronto Ont/Surprise AZ | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
PM sent

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
High gear only, sounds expensive when you can accomplish the same thing putting it in high gear simultaneous to transmission brake release, using a timer.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I must agree with retow on this. I can shift .20 out and lose .40 in et. And if you want to move et around during race just move shift point around. You can dial and run what you want pretty much. Mine works out about 1 to 1 to a point when I shift that early. Naturally the later you shift as the converter starts working it won’t be 1 to 1 but early it is close

ep

Posts: 764 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Same thing can be accomplished with the shift chip slightly higher than the two step chip....

Posts: 262 | Location: Fayetteville | Registered: May 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
or with the grid, a few key strokes and you're done

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 739 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 57 Vette
posted Hide Post
If you shift to High early, lets say at .050 and sooner your transmission High clutch will not like it, and will burn up the pack at some point. The converter is still multiplying torque at this point in the game. Been their done that and got the tee shirt.

Top/et Iron man champion Wink

Posts: 268 | Location: Toronto Ont/Surprise AZ | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Frank Mark and more recently his son too has been a high gear only player for decades abd has won a lot of money doing it with a Coan valve body.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 57 Vette:
If you shift to High early, lets say at .050 and sooner your transmission High clutch will not like it, and will burn up the pack at some point. The converter is still multiplying torque at this point in the game. Been their done that and got the tee shirt.

Top/et Iron man champion Wink

That's a myth. Five high gear clutches, which is three short according to another myth, made 20 hits with 750hp pulling 3200 lbs, without a blemish to be found when inspected. Shifting to high gear three hundredths after trans brake release.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Your shyt box never made 750 hp n/a

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Your shyt box never made 750 hp n/a

Banjo's sbc Nova made 775 hp, same weight.

My car has been faster by a few mph and quicker dipping in the 5's.

How much does it make?

Me saying 750hp was being conservative. Ask Banjo.

My Nova is the fastest & quickest in the country at 3200 lbs Jr, with out of the box 23 cylinder heads n/a.

The real beauty of it is, I assembled the engine & transmission. Home built Jr.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
His shyt box does not make 775, 675 at best!

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
His shyt box does not make 775, 675 at best!

Banjo's sbc made 775 on the dyno. runs low 6.0's. He could prove you wrong again...... easily.

You won't run 6.0 with 675 hp Jr @3200lbs.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Again, neither his junk nor yours makes north of 700 hp on any legit dyno and desk top dyno, no Wallace formulas constitute a legit dyno. more important, neither of you have a time slip from your shyt boxes that supports your claims that either of these engines make 700hp no mind 750 and 775.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I've always built my own power plants and transmissions.

Apparently I do a better job of it than anyone on the planet n/a, 3200 lbs, 23 sbc out of the box cylinder heads.

Can't nobody out run me. Banjo's closest AND yes, he's had his engine on a real dyno.

I don't need a dyno, I have a converter that tells me what it'll run before I get to the track.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
This 3200 lb. ‘69 Camaro

that I’ve posted about here long before you showed up and since with a 400 cubic inch abc that was just freshened by our own SCDIV1, can and has run quicker and faster than your and his junk 14 years ago, running 9.72 @ 138 with a 1.27 60 foot off the footbrake and through the mufflers with a 4150 carb and 10” converter NahNahTounge and it makes less than 700Hp.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
This 3200 lb. ‘69 Camaro

that I’ve posted about here long before you showed up and since with a 400 cubic inch abc that was just freshened by our own SCDIV1, can and has run quicker and faster than your and his junk 14 years ago, running 9.72 @ 138 with a 1.27 60 foot off the footbrake and through the mufflers with a 4150 carb and 10” converter. NahNahTounge

9.72 is a turd. Nowhere near a 5 second 1/8 mile.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
You nor he has a time slip from your junk that has run quicker and faster Spitting

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
You nor he has a time slip from your junk that has run quicker and faster Spitting

All my slips are quicker & faster. A

And that turd had ALL Pro raised runners, not conventional 23 sbc heads.

Still can't outrun the RIPPER.