New
Find
Notify
Tools

Air vs. Co2?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
I'm thinking of going to onboard air system - just wondering if anyone has had consistency issues if the pressure varies due to the compressor cycling? Most kits indicate "on" at 85-90 psi and "off" at 100-105 psi. Just wondering about affecting the stop opening speed? Confused JB

Posts: 1146 | Location: Busy putting up crop circles | Registered: October 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Pivot,

We have them on several cars, all give excellent service.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1828 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
Put a 80lb regulator on it and it will always be the same pressure at the shifter and throttle stop.

Working for the Weekend!!!!
Fordyce Motorsports

Posts: 252 | Location: Williamstown, NJ | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Hi Vern.

My concern about using air as opposed to C02 is condensation (water) in the air, that can’t do a throttle stop, shifter, or worse yet a parachute release solenoid, any good, (especially the latter). I’m not willing to take that risk God knows there is enough that can go wrong.

That said, finding a CO2 fill station that will fill a 10 ounce bottle has become problimatic, no one near me wants to fill them for a reasonable charge. I am going to buy the bottle and equipment to fill them myself, $10 to fill a 10ounce bottle is ridiculous.

Bob

Posts: 3080 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thought about the condensation issue, sometimes the car sits for a while, and just from the amount of water I drain out of the shop compressor it could be a problem. At least the Co2 is clean and relatively dry?

Posts: 1146 | Location: Busy putting up crop circles | Registered: October 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
C02 is as dry at the Saraha desert in Summer.

Bob

Posts: 3080 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Ran a compressor for many years on three different cars and never one failure. On throttle stop , chute and shifters ....

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1513 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Pivot,

one reason is already posted above, filling the 10 oz bottles is inconvenient at best.

If I were to change back to the 10 oz bottles I would buy the proper equipment to refill them in-house from a large tank.

There would be some initial expense but once set up one large bottle would refill the small ones for years. I think it would be just fine to have two spare bottles in addition to the one in the car. I think doing so would be a good solution.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1828 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Filling a 10oz Co2 bottle is a non issue for me. Mine will last most of the season using it for shifting and SLE. I keep spare in the trailer and local welding shop fills it for $10. The biggest atvantage I see for having an on board compressor is having it to fill your tires in the lanes if needed.

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
FYI for the guys that have access to nitrous. Nitrous works just fine, and I have been using it for years now. I actually just top of my 10oz bottle with a low nitrous bottle before I refill it. Put the 10oz bottle in the freezer for a couple hours and hook them together and open the big bottle valve first, then the small one. Even done it at the track when I ran out.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 703 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If the tank is full I can cycle my throttle stop 11 times on my dragster and 9 on my camaro before the compressor comes back on to refill the tank..

Rick Huffman
Accelerated Graphics
Why was everyone Kung Fu Fighting?

Posts: 598 | Location: Burleson TX | Registered: January 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I’m considering converting to air and using 10 oz co2 bottles now.

What brands or models do you like and are they aluminum tanks ??

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Mark,

I buy the "Air Armed" from K & R

Larry Woodfin

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Stephen Hughes
posted Hide Post
I’ve run air compressors on my stuff for probably 18 years. My current dragster has the same punp I put on it in 2003 when the car was new, and my door car has one that was off a 99 model car we sold. I use a 160 lb pressure switch and regulate to 100 psi. Condensation has never been an issue and I wouldn’t dream of running CO2. I dont use an external tank, so mine will cycle when different air functions occur but never has had any issues with consistency.

The Pull-Out....for when you want to work smarter, not harder!!!

Posts: 336 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Got the stuff ordered, we'll see how it goes. I'm just so done will filling those ******* bottles. Thanks for all the insight Cool JB

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Huh. Bas tard bottles.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I bought a large C02 bottle around 2002 or 3 to fill my 10 oz. bottles for my wagon and the dragster. This host bottle cost me just over $100.00 I have filled at least 3 or 4 bottles of mine every year since. It's been 15 years since I bought it and these days I set it out in the sun for a bit so I can get 1000 psi in the little bottles and refill them when they get down close to 500 lbs. When I was running the dragster I kept the bottle in my trailer and would fill a friends 10 oz bottle here and there for a burger. When I'm unable to get at least 700 lbs I may go to the welding supply and get a fresh host bottle which was less than $20.00 with exchange. I quit taking the big bottle to the track these days and just carry two spare 10 oz bottles for back ups.

Posts: 397 | Location: Plano, TX | Registered: May 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Hero,

as a public service, I request you post photos of the hardware required to transfer from big bottle to small bottle. Also, how do you determine when the 10 oz bottle is full?

Larry Woodfin

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 1355PRO
posted Hide Post
I have this and a 20# tank I purchased off of Craigslist.

https://www.amazon.com/Trinity...ipping/dp/B00NU9ITN8

Eric Macchiaroli
S/R1355 80 Arrow

Posts: 473 | Location: Glenshaw PA | Registered: February 25, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Woodfin:
Hero,

as a public service, I request you post photos of the hardware required to transfer from big bottle to small bottle. Also, how do you determine when the 10 oz bottle is full?
A scale is an important part of this equation. You need to know the empty weight and add 9oz. You can add 10oz, but you chance popping off in the heat.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post