New
Find
Notify
Tools

Air vs. Co2?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
We leased a medium sized CO-2 tank from welding supply. They made me a adapter pipe out of 3/8" copper that attached to bigger tank, make a loop and I hook it to the small 10-oz bottle. They told me to hold the small bottle upside down, open the small tank valve and then open the larger tank. Takes about 5 seconds, close the big one, shut the little tank and go race for a month. Have it as cool as possible and I have done about 25 bottles off the medium tank and I bet there is another hundred in there. I get about 1200 psi and 7.5 -8.5 ounces in small bottle if it cooled off good. Either way, it has saved my racing day and about 10 other racers who had leaks for about $1.00 a fill.
Like the compressor idea but don't like the battery drain to get the air.

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I have an electric shut off valve (I actually bought two of them) that I need to install. For the time being I have simply been shutting the tank valve off after each run. It still holds enough C02 to cover a second run (in case I have a brain failure). The best answer is to figure a way to fit a larger bottle in my car plus install the electric shut off valve.

I’ll install the second electric shut off valve in my son Mike’s TD. His actuates the SLE and the shifter.

Bob

Posts: 3085 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Hi Jok.

What is the capacity of the fill tank, 20 - 30, or?

Thanks.

Bob

Posts: 3085 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
I sent markemark the PDF files for parts and instructions but he hasn’t posted them yet.

CO2_charge.pdf

Here's Cashflows pdf files for view and downloading

m10_co2.pdf

Posts: 2467 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
A former racer from around Mooresville, NC used a pvc tank made out of 3" pipe with two end caps. Pumped air in to it with small 12V air compressor like the ones where you can try to pump up a flat tire with. Controlled his pump manually. He would check the pressure and run pump if needed until he got the pressure he wanted. He used the air for his tires and to hold his clutch pedal down until delay box released. Get this the working pressure on pvc is like 275 psi at room temperature.

Posts: 92 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark, you’re the man!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5312 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Which is the fitting that screws onto the small bottle with the teflon gasket?? Or are you just filling thru the regulator?

Posts: 2433 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
No regulator. Bottle to bottle.
I use the 30-lb CO2 tank from a welding supply. Pretty easy to move around and secure in the trailer if need be. Our bottles last a couple months so it is basically for helping others who have a "leak" somewhere ;-)

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I have 3 10 oz bottles. Just collected them over the years...I keep 2 full spares in my trailer.
Paintball store 1 mile from my home fills them for $3 each
In a pinch it's easy to get one filled at the track during a race....
I have the electric shutoff solenoid and unless I am testing something or pop a line off for some reason a bottle lasts for months usually.
Shifter and throttle stop.
I eyeball the pressure gauge all the time and it is highly temp sensitive....
Will run fine even when high side pressure is lower due to cool air temps.
Pressure will rise with temp and some sun on it....

I have never lost a round or missed a run due to an air bottle issue and used an inline stop as an SLE anytme I was bracket racing.

I can change a bottle in less than 5 minutes.

Mounted it vertically and I don't care what it looks like stuck to my radiator shroud.

One place that can develop a very slow leak.....the o-ring that seals the valve to the tank....it dries out over time and needs replacing.

I use a screw-in brass fitting with rubber O-rings built in on the bottle. They work better than the disc seals.

Chassis shop sells them and it's easy to find other suppliers....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I've done for years the way Toad1 is doing it. It works great and is very simple. The biggest cost for the big bottle of C02 which was around $100 bucks. But I've used it for years and can still get a 1000 lbs of psi in my 10 oz bottles. Big Steve, I have a teflon seal at both ends of the transfer. If my son comes by I'll have take a picture of it and send it to you or your son.

Posts: 397 | Location: Plano, TX | Registered: May 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Honkytonk HERO:
I've done for years the way Toad1 is doing it. It works great and is very simple. The biggest cost for the big bottle of C02 which was around $100 bucks. But I've used it for years and can still get a 1000 lbs of psi in my 10 oz bottles. Big Steve, I have a teflon seal at both ends of the transfer. If my son comes by I'll have take a picture of it and send it to you or your son.

I just need the size or part number for the fitting with gasket that goes on the 10oz bottle so I can order it. I want to fill it from my nitrous mother bottle, I have everything else I need already

Posts: 2433 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
quote:
Originally posted by Honkytonk HERO:

I just need the size or part number for the fitting with gasket that goes on the 10oz bottle so I can order it. I want to fill it from my nitrous mother bottle, I have everything else I need already

I use a "Perma-Seal" on all my Co2 stuff, hasn't leaked so far. (5years)
this place has some cheap bottles also.
http://www.aquariumplants.com/...o2-Cylinders-p/t.htm

Steve just reread your comment, are you asking about the CGA320 fitting?

Joe

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sr4440,

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1300 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
https://www.facebook.com/photo...53558&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo...53558&type=3&theater

Pre-set regulator, high quality fittings, and a lifetime supply of CO2. Never a problem at the track
Next to Tater, this is this most popular thing I have in the trailer.
I don't even remember the last time I had the bottle refilled. It's been years.

Throttle stop
SLE
Shifter

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:

Joe

Thats exactly what I was looking for, Thanks!!

DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
quote:

Joe

Thats exactly what I was looking for, Thanks!!

Oh.... in that case the fitting is a CGA 320. Smile

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1300 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
If you have a D_ICK'S Sporting Goods store in your area , they fill 10oz CO2 bottles for $3.50 . They list the CO2 services on there web site.

Posts: 2467 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Installed a Viair system, really pleased with it so far. As was previously mentioned once the tank is full it will cycle the stop and sle at least a dozen times before the compressor kicks on. Rock solid at 100 psi.

Posts: 1146 | Location: Busy putting up crop circles | Registered: October 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pivotdoc:
Installed a Viair system, really pleased with it so far. As was previously mentioned once the tank is full it will cycle the stop and sle at least a dozen times before the compressor kicks on. Rock solid at 100 psi.

What Viair system model number ?? Where purchased ??

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
If you have a D_ICK'S Sporting Goods store in your area , they fill 10oz CO2 bottles for $3.50 . They list the CO2 services on there web site.

$4/yr on CO2 or add weight and draw on the battery with a compressor and tank. I can see why the crowd is so split.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6409 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
Originally posted by pivotdoc:

What Viair system model number ?? Where purchased ??
EBay. Viair ultra light duty 1 gal system, $129 free ship. I wanted it because the components are seperate and I needed to mount the tank away from compressor.

Posts: 1146 | Location: Busy putting up crop circles | Registered: October 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post