DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    fighting high rpm through the traps
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

fighting high rpm through the traps
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted

My big block chevy is going through the traps a bit too high for my liking.In bad air she is about right just a tad over 8000rpm,but when the air is descent she going through between 8300 and a touch over 8400 which scares me.
Dosent appear to be a gear problem using a 3.89 and its got the tall 35 inch mickey.

The above graph is the best run the car ever had.shifting at 7650...fell back about 890 rpm...slip is about 8 percent but trap rpm was 8444!!
I tried shifting a bit higher about 7800 but it dosent affect trap rpm.

I also notice the fallback is a bit inconsistent between 890 and 1050

Im thinking converter tweaking?

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I think so too

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6354 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
This graph says the converter is slipping 6% at the stripe, crossing 8400 rpm. It may slip 8% crossing at 8000 rpm? What is the mph crossing at 8000 rpm?

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Bigger blower and lock up converter Full Moon

Posts: 2400 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
doesn't look to hi to me....

but if you hold .06 that will help your finish line rpms a lot, js

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1513 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

haha how do you hold .06 in qualifying?

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seabass:
doesn't look to hi to me....

Jenny, that is advice from the spot drop king of TD who holds many Wally's....

Posts: 2400 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
is the mph crossing at 8000 rpm?

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jenny, that is advice from the spot drop king of TC who holds many

he only races 1000 feet from what I heard

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
convertor is not configured properly or is not holding a full charge of fluid slip should be around 3%

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
convertor is not configured properly or is not holding a full charge of fluid slip should be around 3%

I agree, looks like its a little tight down low and loose on top, opposite of what he needs

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
quote:

haha how do you hold .06 in qualifying?

1000' drop will get close

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1513 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
I agree, looks like its a little tight down low and loose on top, opposite of what he needs

What are you looking at that tells you that? Trying to learn how to read the graph correctly so I can apply that to my stuff.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:

What are you looking at that tells you that? Trying to learn how to read the graph correctly so I can apply that to my stuff.

The shifting at 7600 with 900 rpm fall back then 8400 thru the traps at 8% slip to start with. But I have had conversations outside this forum with jenevet and have a little more info, but thats JMO comparing it to mine and what I feel he needs

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i am certainly no expert,i know he has a blower ,so,not real far off down low.could be a little looser.but top end slip seems way ecessive looking at the bottom of the run.at any rate most are running a lot less slip at top.it could be a convertor feed issue though.the less full the more slip

1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
could be a convertor feed issue though.the less full the more slip

in bad air which is 75 percent of the year its 7 percent slip and trapping at 8050 to 8100??

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The transmission fluid may be getting hotter. I might try some thicker trans fluid before spending a lot more money.

Posts: 9 | Location: Tallahassee, Fla. | Registered: January 16, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Personally I like to see 7-800 fallback max. I shift at 8K and drops back to 72-7300ish. Keeps that blower RPM up down low and where it likes to sing.

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i was going to post a pic but thats not simple for me,at indy and i think my last time run mine was at 6%,i run mine looser than most.even at 6 its around 8300 but my mph is higher than 218 usually

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
with high mph its hard to hold rpm down,like steve said more power and lockup convertor,lol

1.036, 6.16@ 224